It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats up with the colbert report??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Whats the deal with this stupid military special?? the main commander or whoever he's interviewing is a complete tosser! He is goin on that the people in the army according to the stats and their recruitment policies or whatever, that they are the top 5% of the american population then he said that after they go thru there training that they are in the top 3% of the best people that america has to offer.

So hes saying that all the people in the military are the best people america has to offer? So all the rest of you guys aren't as good as them, because you dont go blindly 'fightin' for the freedom of your country, and do all the other things soldiers do, that you aren't as good as them? Hmmm lucky im not an american huh.

Whats up with Colbert anyway? seems like he sorta sold out since he left the daily show, which i have mad respect for John, colbert even had bush come on and say a lil message to the troops, then joke about the time colbert did that awesome speech when he hadnt sold out.

So i would love to hear what all you people here that aren't as good a people as these soldiers think about this dumbass generals comment?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Stephen Colbert is awesome.

It is amazing that he is doing his show directly from one of Sadaam's old palaces. He has been nothing but respectful to the troops. His comedy is very smart. I enjoy his show immensely.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by Ace High]

[edit on 12-6-2009 by Ace High]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Perhaps he is trying to show the military that we the people are not your enemy but respect and care about them. That we know they are not the ones causing problems and that they are doing what they are designed to do. That the real culprits are those in power.

[edit on 6/12/2009 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Exactly, servicemen and women don't start the wars, they just fight them ... and die in them.

It's the politicians that cause and start wars.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Exactly!

One of the best shows on TV.

www.colbertnation.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Skinon

tho i missed the repor, i would agree to a degree(differing on the percentage). im not entirely sure what the military guy was saying or context, but the health of the troops are some of the best, albeit they stay out of the drug scene.

imagine a health nut who eats right and exercises everyday. now imagine somebody who is forced to eat right and exercise everyday. the results are not that different.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I would guess it means 5% of the population in America walk through the recruiting office and sign up. The top 3% would be those who make it pass the recruitment phase and pass the physical. The other 2% of Americans that walk through are disqualified from serving for one reason or another.

So they are the top 3% of what America has to offer. The other 95% chose not to join the Army. The remaining 2% chances are had physical disqualifications or a criminal record of some type.

It's just a political statement to sensationalize the support of our troops and in this case the Army troops not to mention it at least boosts their morale if they take the statement the same way the op did. I really have no problem with the statement what so ever.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Skinon

Sounds like your a little jealous of American Troops. I agree with the General American Soldiers are the best of the best there is no doubt that they truly are in the top 3%; The fact that you had to complain about this and have the right to just underscore the Generals statement as truth.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I am leery...

I love Colbert, but I keep thinking about the show he asked the Illuminati to contact him... And then he has Obama on his show.

Hmmmm. And now the military.

Well, I hope I'm just being paranoid.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
What seems so strange about that statement. You don't become the most powerful country in the world on the backs of a bunch of retards. The U.S.A. has accomplished more in 500 years than some countries have in 5000. In no way is my country's military might attributed to coincidence. Many, many American soldiers have given their lives in the name of freedom and humanity, protecting the rights that you and I take for granted everyday and you would like me to get all huffy some general says the people who get up every day to protect me(and in someway probably you) and my children's lives and personal freedoms...yes, these are the cream of the crop. They are willing to leave their lives on the battlefield, standing up for what they believe in...that in and of itself is a simple quality that sets them above. Bash the troops and the U.S. all you would like, but the truth my military has sacrificed a hell of a lot more to make this world better for all people of every race, color, and creed than any other country in the world. Of course when you are on top, people are going to try to knock you down. Sorry, I let my imperialism get the best of me this morning.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I watched it this week, a little...I was so surprised he did not do his usual comedy. The show was very boring propaganda. As if the troops wanted to listen to more generals talk about policy and whats going on in Iraq? Don't you think they get enough of that? Why not Entertain!? That is what Bob Hope used to do...entertain. He did not even use his biting sarcastic humor in the interviews with the policy wonks...he played it straight. I was very disappointed with the show. And his bit with Tom Hanks about the care packages was just stupid. I think they would have rather had Stephen do his regular stuff and be funnier. It was lame...and that is a lot of trouble to go to to be so boring.

His Christmas special will always be my all time favorite though.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Really? This week alone he has had Obama, Bush the first, Biden, Clinton, Tom Hanks, and others on his show. He is doing a show in the form of Bob Hope. He even opened his shows on Monday and Tuesday standing in front of an "old school' mic swinging a golf club a la Bob Hope.

His jokes have been anit-authoritarian while remaining respectful to the troops. He has walked a fine line and provide 4 shows to a packed house for the troops.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

Swinging a golf club is not he most entertaining thing in the world. Bob Hope would do his comedy bit, a little sketch comedy maybe and bring along models, actresses(Marilyn Monroe) and musical acts. Bob Hope did much more to raise morale, and Colbert seems to have just completed a propaganda mission paid for packaged and sponsored by the dept of defense.

Lt. Dan's Band and Kathy Griffin did more with their visits than Colbert. The OP was absolutely correct. Colbert was not up to his usual level with this tour. I was also surprised they had the show for such small audiences in the palace. There are much larger venues over there. They could have packed a lot more in in other places. But this was not for the troops...this was PR for the television audience, and if you can not see the difference, you are asleep to the truth.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
reply to post by Skinon

Sounds like your a little jealous of American Troops.

Haha! now thats one for the sig box! Yea mate im so jealous of american troops! i wish i could go to a big dusty hellhole and fight and die for a blind war that had no reason to be started in the first place, just so a bunch of old men can get richer? Yes please, sign me up!
(cough blind patriotism cough)

Originally posted by Jnewell33
You don't become the most powerful country in the world on the backs of a bunch of retards.

"This is going straight to the pool room" - Haha you should make sure you keep an eye on your old mate china buddy, I would love to print that on a t-shirt of some sort.

And how are they so wickedly high above the other 97% of the country, well actually it wouldn't be that hard to be in the top 14% of the country coz most americans are sheeply sheep sheep (well thats how the rest of the world views you, regardless of what you think) ahwell at least you used to produce rad as hell cars.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Missing Blue Sky

I do not agree at all.

He could have gone to Kuwait City, or any other safe zone. He went to Baghdad and did the same comedy he does every other night. His comedy stayed true to his regular show. You cannot ask anything other than that.

What else do you want him to do? He did four shows to a packed house? Not to mention what he did off screen.

Kathy Griffin really?? C'mon.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
Exactly, servicemen and women don't start the wars, they just fight them ... and die in them.

True dat.

Here are some lyrics from a relevant song:

Let Them Eat War - Bad Religion

There's a prophet on a mountain and he's making up dinner
With long division and writing crop
Anybody can feel like a winner
When it's served up piping hot

But the people aren't looking for a handout
They're America's working corps
Can this be what they voted for?

Let them eat war [x2]
That's how to ration the poor
Let them eat war [x2]

There's an urgent need to feed
Declining pride

From the force to the union shops
The war economy is making new jobs
But the people who benefit most
Are breaking bread with their benevolent hosts

Who never stole from the rich to give to the poor
All they ever gave to them was a war
And a foreign enemy to deplore

Let them eat war [x2]
Let them eat war [x2]

Declining pride

We've got to kill 'em and eat 'em
Before they reach for their checks
Squeeze some blue collars
Let them bleed from their necks
Seize a few dollars from the people who sweat
Cause it's freedom or death and they won't question it
At a job site the boss is god like
Conditioned workhorses park at a stoplight
Seasoned vets with their feet in nets
A stones throw away from a rock fight
But not tonight, feed ‘em death

Here comes another ration (feed them death)
Cause they're the finest in the nation (feed them death)
When there's nothing left to feed them
When it's freedom or it's death

Let them eat war [x2]
Let them eat war [x2]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
hat's off to Stephen.. goes to show what an icon he's become when the Obama plays his straight man... he's a genius

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skinon

Originally posted by poedxsoldiervet
reply to post by Skinon

Sounds like your a little jealous of American Troops.

Haha! now thats one for the sig box! Yea mate im so jealous of american troops! i wish i could go to a big dusty hellhole and fight and die for a blind war that had no reason to be started in the first place, just so a bunch of old men can get richer? Yes please, sign me up!
(cough blind patriotism cough)

Originally posted by Jnewell33
You don't become the most powerful country in the world on the backs of a bunch of retards.

"This is going straight to the pool room" - Haha you should make sure you keep an eye on your old mate china buddy, I would love to print that on a t-shirt of some sort.

And how are they so wickedly high above the other 97% of the country, well actually it wouldn't be that hard to be in the top 14% of the country coz most americans are sheeply sheep sheep (well thats how the rest of the world views you, regardless of what you think) ahwell at least you used to produce rad as hell cars.

Rest of the world?? Listen the troops risk their lives, and regardless of the elites that may be in control these men and women truly want to make the world a better place.

Now you have hit a nerve.

I am sick of the anti-american reteric being spewed by the likes of you. We may not be perfect but the real people of this county love the rest of the world. They take interest in the safety of others. America pays homage to the culture of others. We fight for the fredom of religion, freedom of the press, and freedom to believe whatever you choose. The USA may not be perfect, and yes we may have a few sheeple who don't do their research, but most want nothing but the best for the world!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Colbert, just like John Stewart and Glen Beck, is a failed comedian with a very large staff who writes EVERY word he says. Maher is somewhat more independent but I cannot believe people are duped into believing a word that these people say. The sad part is that people waste money on books they "wrote."

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I believe the troops are the top... Like some of you said, they die for us. How can you possibly top that?

You need to rethink what it means to be a soldier. Your view of the US soldier seems ...skewed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join