It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ringing Ears

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I don't normally post things about myself... in fact I haven't posted my own threads much at all but I was just inspired by an event that happened eh...about 2 minutes ago. All my life (as much as I can remember) my ears have been ringing from time to time. I know most of you have had your ears ring and know the feeling.

I remember seeing a movie on NBC or something when I was a kid about this girl whose ears kept ringing and it turned out it was an alien implant for a tracker or something
it scared the crap out of me!

Anyway back to the point.. my ears seem to ring whenever I'm close to a monitor or a TV that has just been turned on. It doesn't seem to happen everytime but it happens most often I turn on this monitor. I'm thinking it might be due to EM sensitivity? I can also tell when my phone is about to ring if it is near me. It's a bit creepy... I don't hear a ringing in my ears but I can feel it in a way. It reminds me of when you have your phone near a TV and right before it rings it will make the screen go nuts.

Last note I'm pretty sure I posted this in the right forum. It has to do with my medical(?) issue if that is what you would consider it. I appreciate any of your thoughts.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Not sure of your age but this can be a common symptom of Tinnitus. I know that I have this (too much loud music). I used to work and a sound technician, using headphones, etc. Anyway, not sure if this is what you are referring to but it can be caused by any long term exposure to loud sounds, Ipods, etc.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I had it happen maybe 2 hours ago I remember it specifically because I remember going woaaaah and sticking my finger in my ear and popping my sinuses.
Its mostly to do with the pressures in your sinuses.
Some times it can be pointing towards something more serious if it doesn't go away for a long period of time.
I remember I once had it for maybe 1 whole week and remember lying in bed in the quiet and could hear it was a bit worrying.
Many things can cause it and most of the time it is nothing and goes away.
But its worth getting looked at by a doctor anyway because it can be pinpointing things likes strokes heart attacks cancer etc.
But that's very rare.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

I'm 23 right now. I don't own any kind of portable music device and I don't use headphones... my daughter has broken every pair I bought so I gave up

As far as loud music I used to have some speakers in my last car but I got rid of them when I bought my new one. It doesn't have that great of a sound system and I don't own a home sound system. This has been happening all my life... since way before I was exposed to loud noises for extended periods. I've just noticed recently it happens mostly when something like a TV turns on and I am near it.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Ear ringing or tinnitus can be caused by many factors. It can be related to stress, anxiety or other medical factors such as tmj disorders or even a deficiency in magnesium and b12 vitamins.

Here is a good link for both:

www.ctds.info...

www.ctds.info...

Another sign of tinnitus is an inner ear disease called menieres, often associated with ear ringing and dizziness.

www.menieres-disease.ca...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Estharik

I wouldn't let it bother you too much. It comes and goes with me. Can be a little annoying, but you get used to it.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I have constant ringing in my ears, and have since I was a teenager. Too much rock 'n'roll. My motto has always been if it's too loud your too old. I'm 59 now and starting to pay for that attitude.
But sometimes it just happens. A doctor friend of mine says he can never recall a time when his ears didn't ring. He thought it was normal for everyone until he went to med school.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I'm a DJ so i'm used to loud clubs and loud music. My ears can be ringing for days after. I need to seriously invest in some good earplugs!

my ears seem to ring whenever I'm close to a monitor or a TV that has just been turned on. It doesn't seem to happen everytime but it happens most often I turn on this monitor.

It sounds like you might be sensitive to picking up the high pitched electrical whine emmited by most types of electrical equipment. I'm pretty sensitive to that too. Man, i can hear my DS putting out a high pitched whine when i switch it on. No one else hears it, but it's definitely there.

A family member bought my partner a new alarm clock and the whine from that drives me mad. He can hardly hear it, but when i'm in the room and when falling asleep it's so loud to me.

I've also started unplugging my computer monitor cause it whines when it's plugged in, even if it's turned off. I spent ages running round the living room going 'What the hell is that?!?' till i discovered it was the monitor.

So sounds like your sensitive to high pitched noises. Hearing range can vary quite considerably from person to person.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by Nammu]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Is the ringing in your ear sound like a sharp tone for a few seconds, like when the tv has no program with the coloured bars "deeeeeet" ???

When i was young, my friend told me that his mom told him, when you hear that "ringing sound" it means someone is talking about you.

Through-out my life i've had that ringing sound, more like a "signal sound" (sorry, can't describe it).......from time to time. And i've noticed that most of the time they are in situations when i can tell someone is annoyed with me, like their saying in their head "*@%! you" but you can't tell on their face.

I've always been intuitive and sensitive to others feelings so i trust my reading abilities.

Maybe it's becasue my friend told me that so i made myself believe it. But it has happend so many times when i sense that someone is royally pissed at me but are aren't showing it on the outside, i get that blaring signal sound in my ears for a few seconds and it just totally confirms my suspicion.

What i would say is, when you hear that blaring tone sound for a few seconds, someone is thinking something negative about you within a few metres, usually right in front of you.

JUst like to share my experiences, not sure if it's the same ringing sound you are talking about.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Estharik

I have read that the ringing in your ears is natural, to a small degree, and if you sit in silence and meditate, you can focus on that sound and cause it to grow until you pass into the astral plane.

Was messing with salvia and meditation a few years ago, managed to make the sound grow on purpose but AFAIK never had any OBEs that weren't related to the salvia.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Sounds like tinnitus. I get it all the time, 10 years djing in clubs has left me with constant ringing in my ears, it gets higher frequency next to monitors. You just get used to it after a while. Unless you think about it, you can ingnore it.
always thought djs with ear plugs, looked like wimps, so i never bothered. the benefit of hindsight

[edit on 12-6-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Doh, all the talk of tinnitus made me miss Nammu's comment, which is basically the same as mine xd.

Originally posted by Estharik
As far as loud music I used to have some speakers in my last car but I got rid of them when I bought my new one. It doesn't have that great of a sound system and I don't own a home sound system. This has been happening all my life... since way before I was exposed to loud noises for extended periods. I've just noticed recently it happens mostly when something like a TV turns on and I am near it.

Let me ask you this, when a TV turns on right? What kind of TV, the old ''big'' ones?

Because I noticed (and my hearing is quite well) that I can hear a high-pitch tone whenever an old TV is turned on (and some other equipment makes it as well). Now there's a difference between the ''ear ringing'' and that sound, because whenever I have that ringing ear stuff, I find it impossible to localize it, or if It comes from a direction it turns out that it comes out of ''thin air''.

When an old TV turns on though, I can hear it originate from the TV, hell the pitch is so high that I can even hear it from the outside. I used it as a joke on my mom to predict whether the TV was on or not lol. (Whilst being in the garden)
And the most important thing of course: it stops when the TV turns off.

edit:
Apparently the humming tends to come from windings around the tubes in CRT screens. Which explains why I personally hear it more often with CRT than LCD screens.

Though the article mentions that specific ''flaws'' in any TV may cause humming. (Though this doesn't necessarily means the tv is broken)

edit edit: Do note that I am talking about your experience with the humming when TV's are turned on, and not about tinnitus, which should be prevalent regardless of TV's.

[edit on 12/6/09 by -0mega-]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Sounds like tinnitus. I get it all the time, 10 years djing in clubs has left me with constant ringing in my ears, it gets higher frequency next to monitors. You just get used to it after a while. Unless you think about it, you can ingnore it.
always thought djs with ear plugs, looked like wimps, so i never bothered. the benefit of hindsight

[edit on 12-6-2009 by woodwardjnr]

Thats what I thought too.

Of course, I say just forget about it and blast some great music!

Try this new Killers video:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr_Phreze
Is the ringing in your ear sound like a sharp tone for a few seconds, like when the tv has no program with the coloured bars "deeeeeet" ???

When i was young, my friend told me that his mom told him, when you hear that "ringing sound" it means someone is talking about you.

I know what sound you are talking about but it's more like a high pitch ... "EEEEEEEEE" and slowly fades out. It only lasts for a few seconds and when it happened earlier right before I posted the thread... there wasn't anyone near me for at least 200 yards
I live in the middle of nowhere. I don't think anyone near me was talking about me but it's possible someone...somewhere was.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-
Let me ask you this, when a TV turns on right? What kind of TV, the old ''big'' ones?

Because I noticed (and my hearing is quite well) that I can hear a high-pitch tone whenever an old TV is turned on (and some other equipment makes it as well). Now there's a difference between the ''ear ringing'' and that sound, because whenever I have that ringing ear stuff, I find it impossible to localize it, or if It comes from a direction it turns out that it comes out of ''thin air''.

It only happens when I turn on CRT monitors or TVs. I haven't noticed it happening with lcd or plasma (I haven't been around very many plasma screens though). I do own a couple lcd monitors and a tv but it hasn't ever happened turning them on. There is a different noise I can hear from a certain monitor that is a bit higher pitch than the sound I was trying to describe that I can pinpoint is coming from said monitor. The sound originally described seems to come from thin air though, it's not like the high pitch noise I can hear from the monitor it's just a ringing in my ears that only lasts for 2-3 seconds. I've never had the "ear ringing" noise last very long but the high pitch monitor noise can be heard indefinately if I don't turn it off completely or unplug it. I'm glad I can tell the difference between the two at least

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I just wanted to throw it out there and say thanks to the guys who posted about tinnitus. I didn't know the medical name for such a condition. The problem isn't that much of a bother where I would have to treat it with meds if that were possible I just wanted to know what some of you thought about it happening and being related to the TV possibly. Thanks again for pointing the info out and all the links

top topics

join