It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Row erupts over Guantanamo deal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Row erupts over Guantanamo deal

news.bbc.co.uk

A diplomatic spat has broken out over Bermuda's acceptance of four Chinese Muslim Uighurs released from the US detention centre at Guantanamo Bay.

Britain has told Bermuda, which is one of its overseas territories, it should have consulted London before agreeing to resettle the Uighurs.

The four were among a group handed over to US forces in Afghanistan, but later found not to be "enemy combatants".

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
US is having difficulty finding governments willing to accept the remaining detainees, while at home they face stiff resistance to the idea of Guantanamo detainees on being transferred to US soil.

US President Barack Obama has ordered the Guantanamo detention centre to be closed by early next year.

What do you guys think of plans to move the Chinese Uighurs to the bermuda?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I think the whole thing has become a massive debacle. Why were they not kept at battlefield prisons in Afghanistan or Iraq is my question. I mean we still have military prisons there.

By opening Guantanamo all we did is open a can of worms.

I wonder why Bermuda is so willing to accept these guys?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Ace High

I wonder why Bermuda is so willing to accept these guys?

"We did agree to accept them due to the fact that they have become basically homeless and need to find a place of refuge and freedom," said President Johnson Toribiong. "

The article says about freedom, the absence of interference with the sovereignty of an individual by the use of coercion or aggression

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

Wow....very interesting. So they are taking them to free them. Cancel my vacation to Bermuda.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Related:

Chinese Muslims trigger public backlash in Palau

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — The tiny Pacific nation of Palau's decision to allow 13 Chinese Muslims from the Guantanamo Bay prison camp to resettle there has sparked anger among islanders who fear for the safety of the tranquil tourist haven.

The U.S. government determined last year that the Chinese Muslims, or Uighurs, were not enemy combatants and should be released from the U.S. military prison in Cuba. China has objected to their resettlement, calling the men "terrorist suspects" and demanding they be sent home.

The U.S. has said it fears the men would be executed if they were returned to China.

Palau President Johnson Toribiong explained his decision to grant the Uighurs entry as traditional hospitality, but public opinion has appeared overwhelmingly negative. Some complained Friday that the government failed to consult the people

I don't understand having to pay a country to take these people...

If they are not going to stand trial, not dangerous enough to keep in custody...

Why doesn't the US sneak them back into the area where they were captured... Let them return home... I am sure their families would like for them to return.

If they are still considered a threat of some sort, WHY release them?

Crazy, I don't blame the Palau citizens for becoming upset with having them come to their homeland for a few bucks

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Here's a novel idea, pull all of our people out of overseas conflicts and send these people home.

I mean Jesus... if someone invaded Hawaii, finished off the military presence there, and civilians from California came to Hawaii's aid... once the "war" was over, wouldn't we expect those Californians who were captured to be returned to us?

Bring our troops home, run the overseas bases on minimal staff or close them all together, shore up our borders and immigration policy...wouldn't that solve these issues? Not to mention some of our budget problems?

Wait...that would make sense.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
The US captured these people as terrorists, held them as such, but is now saying they are not enemy combatants (i.e. they're innocent!) and wants rid of them.

If you ask me, it's up to the US to free these people, not Bermuda or Palau. They were the ones that captured them wrongly in the first place, took them away from their families and ruined their lives. If they're innocent and not enemy combatants, then what's all the fuss about with releasing them in the US? Apologise and let them live in 'the land of the free'!

If my country did this i would want them released here to make up for the mistake.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

Why would you release them in the US?

Why not in the country they were picked up in. I think they would be happier there anyways.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ace High
Why not in the country they were picked up in. I think they would be happier there anyways.

1 - Many just end up back on the battlefield with their guns and bombs aimed at coalition troops and civilians. They are TERRORISTS.

2 - 'They would be happier'??? Who freak'n cares if they are happy? They are terrorists and enemy combatants who want us dead. I don't want them happy. I want them locked up or at the very least de-brainwashed from their radicalism.

flame away.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

My response was to Nammu who was advocating release in the US!!

Which would you have release in the US or their home nation???

I would have them remain in captivity in Afghanistan or Iraq depending on where they were picked up originally.

But, and that's a big but, if they were released as considered in Nammu's post then I say country of origin.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Is Bermuda a colony of the evil queen?
Or a self governing colony?
I think its self governing actually.
Which means the royal dictator can go jump in a lake.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   

reply to post by Nammu

Why would you release them in the US?

Because the are not citizens of the country they were picked up in, so they can't legally stay there. Why would you expect that country to take them when they are not citizens? They would've been there on a holiday, visiting or temporary visa i would expect. They are Chinese citizens, but China will not take them back and the US is afraid they will be executed there.

reply to post by FlyersFan

My response was to Nammu who was advocating release in the US!!

Which would you have release in the US or their home nation???

I would have them remain in captivity in Afghanistan or Iraq depending on where they were picked up originally.

But, and that's a big but, if they were released as considered in Nammu's post then I say country of origin.

If they can return home then send them home. If they can't be (and remember these are people that have been declared INNOCENT) then why would you want to detain them further? Release them and let them have a life! If the US was the cause of their improper incarceration then it should be the US that takes on the burden of ensuring their freedom.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
They are staying at US taxpayers’ expense?

Guantánamo Uighurs hope to open restaurant in millionaires’ paradise

Crazy world, huh?

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

They're currently there at the taxpayer's expense until they get set up with jobs:

In several weeks the four will enter a government foreign worker programme to save up some money. Bermudian officials say they have already received five job offers for the men.

top topics

join