It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook unplugs Muslim-bashing group

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Facebook unplugs Muslim-bashing group

www.france24.com

The "I Hate Muslims in Oz" group has been removed from the popular social networking service Facebook because it contained "an explicit statement of hate", said the California-based website.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
So much for freedom of speech, its interesting to note that there are many hate groups across the facebook scene so why is that this one was closed down.

I myself have not registered on facebook as i find it totally useless. Well that is my opinion as i see it has no significance to my every day living what so ever.

www.france24.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I can't see the problem with this.

Any group that hates that much needs to be gotten rid of IMO.

Freedom of speech is all well and good, but when it stirs up hatred and possible violence towards another person or group of people, then that crosses the line.

Turn the tables for a sec, a Facebook page it set up stirring up hatred towards yourself when you had done nothing wrong, just because of your religion....not so great now is it?

This is probably just a muslim-bashing group who haven't the sense to seperate the majority of muslims from those few who take their religion to an extremist level.

You get that with all religions, just that the muslims seem to be getting most of it these days due to world events.

Nothing wrong with freedom of speech, but people who exercise it like this, should surely expect a backlash of some kind?

CX.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

they also ban the `i hate jews` groups as well.

you have a problem with that?

[edit on 12/6/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Yes. People should be free to hate whomever they want.

Oh, and I love the GWB quote, btw!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Freedom of Speech should be to a certain extent.

There are a lot of dangerous reactionaries *cough* Museum shooting *cough* in this world and on the internet.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I would agree if this was public domain, but isn't Facebook a privately owned site? They could ban all groups that like the color orange if they wanted to.

Personally, I don't use Facebook (or any social networking site for that matter), but if my speech was restricted for whatever reason, I'd go to another place. There's hundreds upon thousands of sites online that people can talk on.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Well well......first Google and now Face Book.
Wouldn't surprise me if they remove this site before long too, wecome to freedom of speech, just watch what you say!
Its interesting that there a gag put on anyones mouth when expressing any realistic comment about these middle eastern groups.

I guess if they were all the great people that they are made out to be, why would anyone dislike or hate them?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by KRISKALI777
I guess if they were all the great people that they are made out to be, why would anyone dislike or hate them?

Oooo, burn on the liberals!

You do raise a good point, however. I don't see many anti-charity groups on Facebook, you know?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Come on guys, do you really think this is such a bad thing? There is a difference between freedom of speech and hate speech. Do you really think having groups that discuss the reasons they HATE some religious faith is beneficial to anyone? Doesn't it just divide us further when things like this are allowed to exist?

Is freedom of speech really about your right to pose views that are hurtful and hateful of others? Or is it about allowing you to express your opinion without fear of persecution?

Facebook has become a very significant part of internet culture in recent years. It has an audience into the hundreds of millions. Imagine if this were allowed to happen.

You would see 500,000 groups preaching hate against Christianity, 250,000 groups preaching hate against Jews, 125,000 preaching hate against Muslims. Yes I'm taking a punt (making a guess) at the numbers but imagine if Facebook became a network of hate speech?

[edit on 12/6/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
That's the problem though with setting up a group like that.
It only takes one infiltrator to say something illegal on purpose and you can no longer have it.
Freedom of speech?Only when the El Presidente says so.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Turn the tables for a sec, a Facebook page it set up stirring up hatred towards yourself when you had done nothing wrong, just because of your religion....not so great now is it?

Speaking for myself, it wouldn't cost me a second thought, I couldn't give a fiddlers

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Oh but it would be okay for a Muslim group to post we hate the western People, if their group was removed facebook would be accused of discrimination. This has to work both ways.

Again the powers thatbe try and surpress our rights, rather ridiculous.

Whats next? You cannot voice your own opinions in your own home without being arrested or gagged for it lmao.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
Oh but it would be okay for a Muslim group to post we hate the western People, if their group was removed facebook would be accused of discrimination. This has to work both ways.

Again the powers thatbe try and surpress our rights, rather ridiculous.

Exactly.

I've seen groups similar to what you mention, and they are still allowed. With Muslims stating things such as:

"We hate the UK, we are only here to use the University to get a degree"

etc etc

Terrible really.

Everyone jump on the offended bus! We aren't allowed to say our opinions if it involves anything to do with foreigners, but they are allowed to come to our countries and complain, and tell us it's #?

(Not ALL foreigners may i add, alot of foreign people are very friendly, but there are some swines)

[edit on 12-6-2009 by Lister87]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

(Not ALL foreigners may i add, alot of foreign people are very friendly, but there are some swines)

Oh I know this, I have a few friends who are from other religions, ethnic backgrounds.

Just annoys me that if one rule is applied to one group, then it should apply to all groups whom incite hatred towards other people. Doucle standards!!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
Yes. People should be free to hate whomever they want.

Oh, and I love the GWB quote, btw!

i hate you, if i ever see you... nothing will keep me from expressing my freedom of "expression" savvy?
and for no apparent reason whatsoever. dont forking question me

[edit on 12-6-2009 by deadlysponge]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

Oh I know this, I have a few friends who are from pther religions, ethnic backgrounds, Just annoys me that if one rule is applied to one group, then it should apply to all groups whom incite hatred towards other people. Doucle standards!!

It really is double standards, it's pretty shocking.

One news story showed how police were protecting (Iraqi i believe) protesters in London, protesting against British Soldiers..

How about moving them on and telling them to sod off?

Imagine a group of British people protesting against a foreign army, IN their country.

You'd be shot!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Lister87

Well they would use the Human rights act, or claim police brutality if the police did move then on. At least the Police tried to contain this. Which for once I do have to say the police done right. Anyways those soldiers returning from Duties abroad, know the British public are behind them 100 %.

The Powers that be are too Scared to enforce this, incase it infringes on peoples human rights. What about our human rights lol.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
What if I said I hate terrorists, would I get into trouble? What about I hate lima beans? Is there like some kind of official list of approved things which we can hate and not hate? And, who decides what you can or can't hate?

What a crazy world. I don't suppose they teach that "sticks and stones" saying any more to children, huh? What have we become when grown adults must be protected from mere words? What a bunch of cry babies there must be out there in the world today. "Whaaaaaah, they hurt my little feelings, they said they hate me. Make them stop, I'm only 52 years old for crying out loud!" (lol) CRY BABIES!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
What if I said I hate terrorists, would I get into trouble? What about I hate lima beans? Is there like some kind of official list of approved things which we can hate and not hate? And, who decides what you can or can't hate?

What a crazy world. I don't suppose they teach that "sticks and stones" saying any more to children, huh? What have we become when grown adults must be protected from mere words? What a bunch of cry babies there must be out there in the world today. "Whaaaaaah, they hurt my little feelings, they said they hate me. Make them stop, I'm only 52 years old for crying out loud!" (lol) CRY BABIES!

exactly, it is a ridiculous stance to take- we all hate something!

Would a "I HATE THE BNP" group get banned?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join