It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Invocation of Gods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Our thoughts, feelings, and ways of interacting with our surroundings directly influence our experiences of reality. People are becoming more and more aware of just how true and profound this simple statement is, with mainstream books like "The Secret" being very popular now, though it barely scratches the surface of what our ancestors knew and practiced. So I post this to promote a different way of seeing various mythological deities.

Wikipedia describes invocation in the following way:

An invocation (from the Latin verb invocare "to call on, invoke") may take the form of:

* Supplication or prayer.
* A form of possession.
* Command or conjuration.
* Self-identification with certain spirits.

The last three are all different ways of talking about the same thing as far as I am concerned. The first form of invocation, prayer, is of different character because it addresses external forces. I am going to be talking about "conjuring up" ancient archetypical forces inside you. You have at your disposal to assist you towards any given end, the entire pantheon of Greek, Roman, Hindu, and any other "gods" you can possibly imagine, even modern entities and identities of your own creation.

These perspectives, associations of attitudes, thoughts, behaviors, etc. are very real entities and very much spirits in their own right, that offer you, by way of imitation and example, "forbidden" knowledge of the inhuman forces that create the entire universe. The traditional Greek gods, for example, can be thought of as forces of nature in human form.

In the Hindu Bhagavad Gita, Krishna, a human incarnation of "God," says this to a distressed Arjuna, and it seems very profound:

Four sorts of mortals know me: he who weeps,
Arjuna! and the man who yearns to know;
And he who toils to help; and he who sits
Certain of me, enlightened. ...

Of these four,
O Prince of India! highest, nearest, best
That last is, the devout soul, wise, intent
Upon "The One." Dear, above all, am I
To him; and he is dearest unto me!
All four are good, and seek me; but mine own,
The true of heart, the faithful- stayed on me,
Taking me as their utmost, blessedness,
They are not "mine," but I- even I myself!

At end of many births to Me they come!

www.sacred-texts.com...

So here "God" is saying: Those of who you are closest to me, who always have me first in thought and action, are not of me, but I myself, become fully embodied. This can be applied to any god or anything, because, like the ancient Bible tells us of the "God" of Abraham: "I am that I am." It is very simple, but we are what we are.

Like goes to like, and we all take after examples. The ancients left elaborate (and often very similar) mythologies, all of symbolic human transformation, and the gods themselves are models given to us so that we may steal their most useful traits to take the most from life. The gods are our tools, that we can use and then transcend.

Another excerpt from the same Wikipedia page:

Invocation can refer to taking on the qualities of the being invoked, such as the allure of Aphrodite or the ferocity of Kali. In this instance the being is literally called up from within oneself (as an archetype) or into oneself (as an external force), depending on the personal belief system of the invoker. The main difference between this type of invocation and the possessive category described above is that the former may appear more controlled, with self-identification and deity-identification mixed together.

From a related Wiki titled Modern understanding of Greek mythology:

According to Jung, "myth-forming structural elements must be present in the unconscious psyche".[10] ... For Jung, myth is no more about gods than about the physical world; it is about the human mind and must be read symbolically.

In Buddhism, there are the "Eight Great Bodhisattvas," bodhisattva meaning "essence of awakening" or "essence of enlightenment," that serve as archetypes for us to compare ourselves to, or to use basically in the same way as if we were to invoke any other god.

"All who comprise the great assemblage of Bodhisattvas are equally powerful and equally beneficial to countless beings, so that all things seem to be at their command. Sometimes beautiful lotuses and lotus trees are caused by them to grow from the middle of the ocean, or a teardrop is transformed into an ocean. Everything in nature is at the Bodhisattva's call. Fire can appear as water; water can appear as fire. It is all because of the strength of the Bodhisattva's attitude, the aspiration and action. For us this says that the practice of compassion must be given full consideration, and it must at all times be in our awareness and at all times performed."

~ 16th Karmapa Rangjung Rigpe Dorje

Here are sources for gods of various cultures:

List of Greek Mythological Figures
Hindu deities
Buddhist Bodhisattvas
Celtic deities
Christian Mythology
Egyptian deities
Mythology of North America
List of Native American deities by culture
List of Incan gods
The Lord of the Rings

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Jesus is my fav, in spite of what I call "Churchianity", because, I think he was a real man who contained the spirit of the universe, the spirit of the living God, and because he was vindicated by God, relative to an evil empire, and to evil across the board. Furthermore, I think that such a representation of the divine in humanity, enables what I call a sympathetic, harmonious connection, with the same eternal spirit of God, in the form of an eternal wellspring of life meeting life through the eternally unfolding present moment. In other words, that the cosmological Christ is the gateway to eternal life, now, and therefore represents the end of time, and thus, time bound consciousness. To me, this is absolutely liberating, and not constraining, that is, if one can set aside their bias against organized religion and make their own evaluation free from any contempt, prior to investigation. Plus, Jesus was a rebel who got in the face of the elite of his day, and, though they tried to do away with him, was, as I said, vindicated by God for the sake of righteousness. I also like Jesus best, because the implication, is that the same spirit of the universe which inhabited him, through him, indwells us, and therefore, Jesus serves as a representation and a model of the realm or domain of a new genesis in human potential and possibility, and as a living light of God consciousness. Context and framing is everything. I do not agree with the Christian fundamentalist literalists, many of whom, though not all, may be considered to represent the very lowest level in conscious awareness and God consciousness, preferring instead of searching, to simply accept and regurgitate the dead letter of the law, or the scroll which is bitter to eat and which in the final analysis, cannot be spiritually digested without severly dumbing down the mind, and this, not the truth implicite in the reality, is what turns people off of Christianity. They THINK they know what it's about, they ASSUME, but have not really looked into it very deeply.

The absolute spiritual genious and what appears rendered there via his fated calling (yes, it's a strange form of 'art' yet nevertheless, comprehensible), is imo, of the very farthest reaching implications for those who DARE to have the courage to reach for and accept a gift of incaculable value, which is unearned yet freely given and one which assigns, not by merit or works, lest we have something to brag about and fall from Grace, but by the love of God (which protects and preserves the value of Grace, the essence of which is mercy or forgiveness), an infinite value, to the individual (to me and you) as a child of God in the family framework of the eternal house of God. It is a revelation which is both hard to grasp, and which, simultaneously, is staunchly resisted by the very aspect of man which it is designed to contend with, head on. There is no use treating the problem of evil within the human condition, unless the treatment is prepared to cut to the root and source, at the very core, and be curative, so in my view, it is extremely DARING and very couragious, to be willing to be a Christian IN SPITE OF Churchianity, and that suits my nature well being a bit of a rebel myself.

The new agey type methods and frameworks, although very good, fail imho, to deal with the problem, or to uphold a standard of justice, relative to extreme injustice. There must be an end to the causation of evil, and it ends at the cross of Jesus Christ, and from there, cuts into the human heart in repentance, when fully grokked or fully "eaten" or appropriated. It is a type of love rendered such that, to come in contact with it, is to be humbled, and forgiven, and therefore, to enter into the realization of the true nature of God's unconditional love, which is akin to entering into God since God is love. We cannot "outsin" the cross, so we might as well give it up and opt for that which brings only happiness and joy of the everlasting kind, starting now.

So I go to the cross of Christ, and surrender myself there, having nowhere else to go really in the final analysis, for there is the simplicity on the other side of the complexity.
I am like the prostitute who wept at his feet. I am also, by virtue of my love for him in response, his bride to be, and no that doesn't make me into a gay man. I am just blessed to have been given the impulse to seek, and to find, and hopefully, to share something of value to others.

God Bless.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by OmegaPoint]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I think the law of attraction is quite different from God. But isnt giving God human qualities in a way demeaning him? Isn't any kind of personification of a Godly Being an admittance that they are not perfect? Isnt perfection what Gods should be? Just my .02

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

Very well said. I am in total agreement. Your words were thoughtful, true and beautiful.

I have copied your post as it is an inspiration and a work of humility and great insight.

May our God continue to keep watch over you.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by blackpheonix

"Therefore, be ye perfect, even as your father in heaven is perfect."

I think here perfect means having absolute wholeness and integrity. Perfection is this sense is our true state of being, to which nothing can be added or taken away, so anything less, in human terms, is a type of mental illness, and we are all of us, mentally ill to a greater or lessor degree, lacking perfect health and well being, with the exception of one who dwelt among us and who was one of us. Absent the human expression of God's love, which may be understood and experienced, God is incomprehensible and inaccessible, something we can't project onto. And so for the Christian, what we see there is a projection by God onto or into the human form, something born of spirit, and so we needn't believe in the immaculate conception to recognize Jesus as born of God or conceived by God. In fact, being fatherless, he was probably born into controversy, and perhaps this is the reason they could find nowhere but a barn to bring about his physical birth.

"Oh what blasphemy" some say..? I don't care. To them I would say "belief in" means nothing, absent a loving relationship TO. Jesus' physical birth scenario is irrelevant, and by making him half human half God obliterates his humanity and what he was all about, and suffered and died for.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Very elegant it wasnt what I was getting at but brings up a valid point. Can we as mere mortals ever comprehend Gods perfection?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Surely to that, the answer is a definite no, but as potential immortals, re-born in spirit and truth, we can get a clue, a foretaste, a hint, and in the process, have a linkage and a sympathetic, harmonious connection to. We can get into congruent alignment with it, if there's a pointer we can relate to.. which is why I am a Christian.

Edit: I am also like the woman, who, according to the story, was suffering from some type of hemmoraging, and was trying to get close to Jesus, but the crowds were pressing around him, and she reached out and touched his cloak, thinking to herself, if only I can so much as touch his cloak, I will be healed, and when she touched him she was healed.

Does this story have to be an accurate historical accounting? Of course not, again that is irrelevant. After all, how would the writer know what was in the mind of the woman? But the impact of the symbolism is nevertheless just as powerful, at least it is to me.

According to the story, Jesus suddenly felt power surge out of him, and he whirled around and exclaimed "who touched me"? to which the woman came forward and admitted to having done so, and he looked at her and said "your faith has healed you." Did he say that HE healed her, or say you're welcome? Also of note is that in the original text, the word for the force which he felt go out of him at her touch of his cloak, was actually VIRTUE, and one definition of virtue, is power restrained.. and so there's even a lesson here regarding the humility of Jesus, and humility, is to know one's self as you truly are.

We ought to be able to know the perfection of God, since at the most fundamental level, we ourselves are perfect, made perfect in the image of God.

How to get back to that is the question.. how to be healed of our illness..?

So yeah, I'll make the attempt, even if it appears futile, to reach out and try to touch something of the perfection of God, in order to be healed, and made perfect in the process. Again, there is great courage in that.

The "I just try to be a good person" motto, as per your post below, I think is lame. We are not good people. No one among us is truly good in the sight of God, and "to be is to be percieved" ie: we're screwed, absent a divine intercessory grace from above, which is the outflowing of the love of God, as something transformative, but I'll digress.. and let the thread move on. The Christian view has been expressed.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I just try to live my life right and believe that their is something greater then me what ever that maybe. But that doesnt mean I dont try to grasp what God is and his perfection if I just sat iaround how would I ever find the path that leads to these answers. Anyway what God do I feel I embody the best and the worst of them just like most people.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
One last thing I think needs mentioning in regards to the Christian theological frame of reference. The highest expression, and the culmination of the Christian experience (what it's supposed to be about), to use a metaphor, is like a marriage, between God and man, as between a husband and wife, and the consumation, the cocreation or procreation if you will, is the byproduct of an intimate love relationship between the comingled spirit of man and Spirit of God, as a bond and a relationship which never ends, and that is when God makes his home with us, with us in him, and together we enjoy the new creation, which is a new outward manifestation of an inward reality, a new way of being and thinking and acting, but there will still be dishes to do..

And finally, perhaps the best question isn't to ask precisely who and what God is, but instead "what is man, that thou art mindful of him?"

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackpheonix
I think the law of attraction is quite different from God.

I don't think anything at all is really any different.

But isnt giving God human qualities in a way demeaning him?

So is speaking of "him" as if "he's" a male. I haven't confused the map with the territory, only caught the spark of divinity within myself.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
And finally, perhaps the best question isn't to ask precisely who and what God is, but instead "what is man, that thou art mindful of him?"

I think that question ties in beautifully with the whole idea I had for this thread, and the quote from the Bhagavad Gita. We all serve the universe by doing its work through ourselves, we just have to remember what it is exactly that we're "supposed" to be doing.
I think it's a very relative question based on our personal circumstances and struggles.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

I think perfection is an illusion and a trap and any "enlightened" being would know this to be so. But admittingly I could be wrong.

new topics

join