ATS Forum Censorship-Whos really behind the site and why the UFO community is Boycotting it?

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I was recently browsing and came across an interesting article about ATS. This is an urgent call to action for everyone in the Ufo community to boycott the ATS forum!

This seemly open and neutral forum has some sinister motives behind its management & operation which most people are unaware of - so i am strongly advising the forum is to be avoided at all costs:
I recently posted a short excerpt from my recent post about the pilot who came forward about the Airbus Ufo sightings on ATS . I usually love the forum, i thought it was a great neutral and informative space to spark genuine Ufo debate - but was shocked when my post was removed and my posting privileges denied ( after being a long active member for many years). My original post about the airbus made it to the top of the Ufo forum topic and got over 170 responses within a day.. yet ATS deemed my posts not in their liking ... why?... think about it..

Is this moderation gone overboard or a sign of something more sinister?. I have been a member for many years and have contributed to substantial ufo debate on the forum site and its very sad to see that the disinfo campaign has likely infiltrated this site as well.

If you think about it logically the ATS forum is the largest of its kind online - as they mention on their site site "ATS its the the Internet's largest and most popular discussion board community" - so its a major hub for Ufo chatter & debate in the Ufo community .If you regulate this site and track its members then you have a major influence & power over the Ufo community and close survelliance of its followers. I have numerous reports that ATS has been influenced many times in the past to remove topics deemed 'too sensitive' however i never trully believed this until my recent experience of this on the forum. (So much for them being a source of everything 'Above top secret"!).

There are also disturbing rumours that ATS members details (Ip address,email etc) may be used to track their members.. This is revealed in their privacy policy: We reserve the right to disclose any personally identifiable information associated with your account and/or posting history as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on The Above Network, LLC.

I have also received numerous emails from many former disgruntled ATS members who have complained about being banned in this similar manner. Post something on the topic but not to the liking of those in control and your account is removed - sounds just like youtube!

would like to know if you have been banned from ATS in this way? - have you had a similar experience? were you told why you were banned and what were you posting about exactly? Please respond to this post.

I would also like to know more about who's really behind ATS ?- please respond if you have any info, whose really in control there and whats going on with their over the top moderation? I forgot to include the source >

Spam linked removed by Admin.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by defcon2]

[edit on Thu, Jun 11th 2009 by Djarums]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I would really like your thoughts and opinions on this article.I occasionally browse and post on ATS but I have always questioned the site myself!Am I just too paranoid?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Is the poster named? If so, I'm sure the mods would be happy to detail why the person was banned and I bet they had a good reason......

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I print screen this post so if it is removed we have proof that something is going on.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
ATS was "infiltrated" a long time ago, it's too big a community. The key is not avoiding the site, but learning to accept the fact and take it into consideration when reading or posting in the forums.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I can't see anywhere in the article where it mentions the poster.It would be interesing if he came forward!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
It's possible ATS is a massive self-registered death list. That the PTB will use to strategically and quickly target the most dangerous targets: The patrons of conspiracy forums.

There was a post on ATS that I can't find with search.

What was it? You ask?

A member asked the question: ATS=STA?

STA?

Strategic Target Acquisition.

Run for your lives.

But not me. I wait with bated breath.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
oh FFS what a bunch of pathetic whinning

if the accuser really was a ` reputable member of long standing ` with a geniune greivance - they would have given thier ATS user name as supporting evidence that they were mistreated and cencored

they whine ` ATS doesnt like traffic being redirected to other forums ` - well congradulations - on figuring out the number one rule of running a forum - PS for ultimater irony they advocate a boycot of ats - and guess where they say you should go - yup thier site - amazing

another accusation - ` ATS will comply with law enforcement ` - FFS have they read the t&c of thier own webhost or ISP ????????????? its a standard clause

any retard can brag ` we will never cencor you ` - but give a maleveloent monkey 24 hours - and they will be deleting content like crazy - or thier ISP willk have terminated thier site

its more of the same petulant whinning from pissant websites that dont get the traffic they think they ` deserve `

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
This "article" leaves me with some questions.

At 170 claimed replies, that is more than most threads get. Does anyone remember this supposed thread?

In the title, he says the UFO community is boycotting ATS, but does not back this up in the article. Has anyone heard of any serious researcher boycotting ATS (note: this is serious researcher, not paranoid hacks or John Lear)?

Then he claims he has received numerous emails from members with similar complaints. I find it odd he chose not to produce a single one. He also claims to be a long-time member, but could not tell us who he was.

This sounds more like a disgruntled member on a personal vendetta than a legitimate concern.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Who cares.

We get one of these sore losers every few months.

Someone breaks the T&C, gets a warn then goes all ape**** over it and causes their own ban.

It is nobodies fault but themselves.

You agree to those terms when you sign up, so if you break them you can't blame the enforcers punishing you for that breach.

Don't give these immature ex members the time of day.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Lots of people get banned from ATS and go on to make their own websites or to form cliques on already established ones.

It kind of happens. They get mad at the rules here, or the mods, or whatever, and they boycott and badmouth.

It's a tad scary, actually. None of the other websites are anything as comprehensive as ATS, IMO.

So I would go on to say that the true UFO community isn't boycotting ATS, but it's taking part in the boards here. I don't frequent this board much but I know that many members are EXPERTS and blow me away with how much they know about sightings, theories, etc.

I've been a member for over 3 years and I've never had an issue with ATS giving away my private information or anything like that.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I think I know who it is too... but I don't know if I am allowed to say.

There is only one (ex)member that I know of that fits the description.

EDIT: Nvm, can't be them. They got banned before the airline thing.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticPerhaps

You hit the nail on the head for me.That is kinda my view aswell and I think that it would not matter what type of conspiracy site anyone frequents...if the PTB want to censor stuff or get info I'm pretty sure they will at any cost.My view on the article is that it could be just that the poster is reading too much into something that ain't there!eg human error on the part of a MOD possibly.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Actually.

This guy says:

*SNIP*

They double posted on another website. That's against T&C. Pretty simple.

[edit on 6/11/2009 by ravenshadow13]

[edit on 11/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
what is the alternative . . . GLP?

Yeah . . . I will stay here, thanks.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
how do you hide a massive secret? Keep it in plain sight...

The only time i have been warned is when i got graphic with a description and was in clear violation of the terms and content agreement.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
It's just the usual mudslinging from Ufologists as far as I'm concerned, they've been doing this since the 80s at least, I've seen it for 15 years now myself, and it never seems to stop, the slightest hint of someone being more popular, or someone disagreeing with them, and the cries of "DISINFO!" or the like come out.

As for;

"There are also disturbing rumours that ATS members details (Ip address,email etc) may be used to track their members.. This is revealed in their privacy policy: We reserve the right to disclose any personally identifiable information associated with your account and/or posting history as required by law"

This is standard practice, and in many countries (I'm not sure on USA, but likely the same), it's actually illegal to not collect the IP address of posts. Anyone who's that paranoid should be using the correct technology anyway, it's a simple matter to stop them getting your IP if you really care.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Well this is always fun.

We don't discuss why a member has been banned. Sorry.

Perhaps smaller forums can do that. The ownership of the site does not find it productive for a site of this size to have to entertain questions regarding every member that gets banned or every thread that gets moved, or every action that staff takes?

We'd prefer to focus on actual content if that's alright with you. If someone has a legitimate question about a staff action they are always encouraged to submit a complaint via our easy to find complaint form which is ALWAYS answered by a staff member in a timely fashion.

Additionally any questions regarding staff actions are put forth in front of all staff to discuss and review.

As far as censorhip? Yeah this is an easy one. You agree to our T&C when you sign up here. If you don't follow them you'll find your posts removed. You call it censorship, we call it the way we run our site.

Clearly on a site this big not everyone is going to be happy with every decision we make. We accept that and understand that. That is how life works isn't it?

What to do about a disagreement? Well, pretending to be some persecuted member who wanted to reveal the truth about something or other when in fact you have a complete and blatant inability to follow our rules is a rather odd way to deal with this. So is inventing far fetched theories about how the owners and staff of this forum are out to get people, or sending out private information, or whatever the hell the flavor of the week is.

It's redundant, it's boring and it's a complete and utter waste of the time of those who volunteer their time here. None of this would be an issue if instead of posting odd rants on other websites people would follow our RIDICULOUSLY SIMPLE terms and conditions.

I'll be closing this thread now so our staff doesn't have to waste any more clicks on it.

I'll also leave it up long enough for "tim" here to take screen shots of since obviously something is up. In fact, tim can take screen shots from all three of his names.

Thank you for this exercise in futility. I suppose we'll have another the next time someone gets mad at us.

Good night.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Just had to add. All one has to do is LOOK at the posts by Staff members on the subject of UFOs. You'll find many of us are in the "skeptical believer" category, and many of us have made some rather lengthy, researched posts on the subject.

In many cases, some staff members have spent their own money and time to attend UFO events or investigations, to then report on ATS. The claim that ATS is "censoring" a post due to a revelation regarding UFOs is absolutely absurd. It'd be like Walt Disney censoring an article praising Disneyworld...

top topics

join