It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maybe Governments are doing the right thing with cover-ups

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Maybe the governments that cover-up aliens do it for a reason.

Before you blast me, I don't care if this is ATS or BTS or CTS, the fact is that I believe only in rationality and reasoning.

And another post somewhere here, something about humans not being able to handle disclosure, got me thinking.

If aliens were shown to exist, OFFICIALLY at least, there'd be hysteria.

Priests and pastors and the Pope will create a mass uprising, claiming the governments are trying to destroy religion. They would have to overturn all the misconceptions they'd had in the Bible - not that I'm saying it's all fact anyway - and they would cause many Christians to follow suit.

People who are adamant, the "Flat-Earthers" (if you read Stephen King's The Mist you'd know what I'm talking about) will insist aliens don't exist until the aliens come forward and slap them in the face, which probably won't happen.

People who are known to be "kooky", (an extreme version would be Mrs. Carmody in The Mist) will get all the confirmation they've been looking for. They will proclaim doomsday and make horrible predictions about the end of the world. Not encouraged. And they will destroy our cred, sensible believers who know the truth.

People who are scientists will be excited, tremendously so. They will shift all resources to uncovering alien biologies (because chemistry and physics are universal).

Children will question their parents. Parents won't know how to respond.

Criminals get opportunities to pillage and wreak havoc as attention will be turned to these aliens. Humans that are opportunistic will start breaking and entering, stealing, as they will mistakenly think predictions of doomsday will imply that they have rights to get the best in life, and that everyone will do the same, or be so worried they wouldn't care about their property.

Some good people will probably quit their jobs and start living FOR REAL - which isn't a bad thing - though there probably is no need to be so worried.

Meanwhile, the Christian and Muslim extremists will start bombing facilities and expeditions to space (watch Contact, with Jodie Foster, which is completely likely) on top of bombing other places in the US and around the world to make their points. They're doing what they're doing "FOR THE ONE TRUE GOD" "O ALLAH".

So I wonder: Is/Are the government(s) doing the right thing in censoring the truth about aliens to the general public?

I mean, here on ATS, we pride ourselves in knowing "the truth" - which is good, and fine, and DEFINITELY not a bad thing - but what about those people OUTSIDE of ATS? The people whom I've mentioned above, who can't deal with this? Now this is not a post to clash with post discussing whether humans CAN or CANNOT handle disclosure; it is a post discussing whether governments SHOULD or SHOULD NOT disclose.

Good for us, that we know the truth and we are not daunted by the fact governments try to coverup... but now that I think about it, maybe they are doing the right thing. An official release about alien existence would create unforeseen circumstances, all of which aren't needed in periods of H1N1, economic crisis and impending nuclear war (read: North Korea).

Maybe humanity DOES need alien intervention to prevent such impending doom. But ironically, this revelation of their existence, and any further intervention might cause humanity to cave in upon itself. Human culture is such that it "shuts" itself off from any possibility beyond what humans "know" (or think they "know" anyway), that any proof otherwise will cause humanity to implode into itself.

So should governments release the truth?

I think they shouldn't, actually. Cover-ups seem to be classified into "bad things" here on ATS... but think about the implications of an "open-up".

[edit on 11-6-2009 by KarlG]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The government has told us we needed to bailout Wall Street.

The government has told us back in 1977 or so that a Swine Flu pandemic was unavoidable and issued an order to begin vaccinating the public.

The government has told us they had credible evidence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq's arsenal and knew exactly where these weapons were.

Shall I continue?

The goverment discloses what it wants, when it wants, for it's own sake and power.

Not for our good, or benefit, unless that in some way will directly benefit the goverment.

We have been lied to and fear-mongered successfully for the past 80 years or so. We've given almost complete control to the goverment to protect us from the 'bad guys.'

Where are these bad guys? Sure, we have enemies in rogue nations. There are terrorists who absolutely hate us. But do we have to hand over everything we have to the government in order for them to protect us? Absolutely not.

And if you think disclosure would result in a riots... imagine an already angered, economically-distressed world learning of intelligent extraterrestrial life in direct form, and then taking that fear, frustration, and anger out on the same governments that have lied to them for the past eight decades.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
True, true, all true.

Governments have been known to made bad decisions.

But this isn't a decision... it's the LACK thereof, that we're finding fault with. The LACK of a disclosure.

Makes me think, though, if terrorists will forever hate us, can u imagine what they might do to alien species who come to Earth "officially"?

Bombing! Threats! Heightened security. NEW terrorist groups will form, against aliens, just as Muslims in Afhgan are against Americans.

Some humans, these NEW terrorists, will FOREVER hate aliens (creating more hate) and cause more trouble.

Discrimination will occur. Just as gays are discriminated against, and Jews used to be discriminated against (maybe some still are, who knows?), and people of minority races, women, paraplegics, etc... Aliens will be facing a WHOLE LOTTA DISCRIMINATION and BAD THINGS.

Can u imagine... if humans do this to themselves, if WE do this to our fellow humans, what will we do to beings of ANOTHER species altogether? For extraterrestrial diplomacy's sakes, I wouldn't want aliens to come to Earth, really.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by KarlG

Can u imagine... if humans do this to themselves, if WE do this to our fellow humans, what will we do to beings of ANOTHER species altogether? For extraterrestrial diplomacy's sakes, I wouldn't want aliens to come to Earth, really.

I think we, the rare, select few, believers, should GO TO THEM.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
That's assuming we could even hurt an extraterrestrial.

Granted, biologically speaking, it's possible we could dwarf whatever life came to visit us in size and strength, if you use the scale of life on Earth as a galactic measuring stick.

The problem comes to the technology.

I'd also think that alien intelligence would not be an oxymoron and they would know our internal struggles and social mores, etc., when they landed.

It would only be polite, after all.

Unless they open up with weapons charged, in which case everything else is a moot point.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
i totally agree with you guilty by design. who the heck gave our government the right to be our guardians. they take our taxes, tell us nothing on what the do with it, then if it wasnt bad enough, tell us how to live our lives with the remaining cash. as for me being in 2 wars, beleive me i can handle the truth, and i bet the rest of the world could too, to tell the truth, it might just give the governments of the world some kind of creditablity!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tatersalad

Thank you for your service, glad to have you here with us today.

I'm a veteran myself... was never fired at and I thank the Lord above each and every day that I made it back safe and sound.

And I absolutely cannot trust the government as it stands because there is simply too much 'cloak and dagger' going on behind the scenes.

That, and I'm really tired of a popularity contest choosing our leaders. Too bad we let it get to this sad state of affairs.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by GuiltyByDesign]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuiltyByDesign
That's assuming we could even hurt an extraterrestrial.

Granted, biologically speaking, it's possible we could dwarf whatever life came to visit us in size and strength, if you use the scale of life on Earth as a galactic measuring stick.

The problem comes to the technology.

I'd also think that alien intelligence would not be an oxymoron and they would know our internal struggles and social mores, etc., when they landed.

It would only be polite, after all.

Unless they open up with weapons charged, in which case everything else is a moot point.

Good point.

If they had the technology to travel to Earth, they > humans in terms of scientific know-how. We can do much to learn from them, and their discoveries, hopefully reciprocatively, though if the accounts of alien abductions are true, they're already learning a lot about human biology.

maybe I'm a misanthrope, or maybe you're a tad bit hopeful, but I really think humans WILL hurt extraterrestrial species should they decide to expose themselves openly on Earth.

They'll definitely knows our social mores, etc, but that doesn't mean there aren't humans who will try to kill them or wipe them out because "God created Man, and Man only" and because these people will think they are dominant, religiously, or whatever.

After all, I think if humans went to an alien planet, we would be faced with the same threats and problems, unless these aliens were pacifist species, which would be quite cool, really. But the nature of biology is such that "kill or be killed" is in-built in every organism, at least on Earth. I think humans may run into a bit of trouble as well if they were to go to alien planets and interact.

Hence, I think cover-ups are two-way things.

If the government wanted to cover-up aliens, they could do so, sure. But for how long? (As we all know, here on ATS, NOT for long). If aliens wanted to expose themselves to the general public, THEY DEFINITELY COULD DO SO (as some have, already, either by intention or by accident, we won't know) with ease and little hassle.

But the fact of the matter is - they HAVEN'T. Not FULLY, anyway.

So, in that sense, governments aren't the ONLY ones covering alien existence up... ALIENS are covering their OWN existence up. Why else are abductions held at night? Why else are alien theorists just that - "theorists?" Why are there crop circles, and not full blown messages of arrival?

Because aliens are hiding their own existence too - AS THEY KNOW OUR SOCIAL MORES AND THE HUMAN TENDENCY TO OVERREACT.

Maybe it's a "gradual-exposure" thing? Gradually open human minds up to the possibility of extraterrestrial intelligence?

All I know is, there're cover-ups going on BEYOND government control.

Even if the government were to expose alien existence "officially", we'd still be hard pressed to find evidence. Only thing we've got are NASA photos of alien spacecraft in front of our satellites and moon, and the aliens would probably have thought NASA more secure, or that no one would have access to those footage except the big (read: secretive) honchos.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
KarlG,

I dont think you are too far from the truth. I debate my want to know with my need to know all the time. Curiosity usually wins out over need.

I discussed those points here in my post The Ethics of Disclosure give it a look.

You hit a few of the topics I wont touch... :-)

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
As for goverment cover-ups, I think you're spot-on. They can only hide so much for so long before a "Deep Throat" incident happens and you have intreprid reporters and fervent believers everywhere digging for the truth.

As for an extraterrestrial spin... I don't think they are waiting us out because they want to. I think we're looking at one of two possibilities here.

1. A deal has been struck between world governing bodies and the ET's for a timed disclosure that must meet certain guideline and threshhold factors. This is easy to imagine if you factor in Hollywood and other media that have been bombarding us with ET entertainment on a regular basis since the mid-1950's.

2. The ET's themselves are waiting on us to contact them in a way that signifies we are 'ready' to greet them properly. Either a mental/physical/spiritual/genetic 'awakening' or changing, if you will. This scenario has quite a few threads here on ATS.

Personally, after the research I've been doing lately, I strongly believe option number 2 to be far more compelling of an argument.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Too bad the government is backing the oil giants through the Iraq War. Forget even disclosure.

Truth is truth. Must be told to the people. So that those at the governemnt do the job they were hired to do. Serve teh people. It's a matter of principle. Not any claims based on fear or any kind of uprising.

There are people out there who are claiming that human beings are not what they seem to be. you should read buddhist scriptures, and then logically prove it to be false, rather than merely go with the atheist/rational people bandwagon. It doesn't make any rationale in claiming rationality without considering ALL the evidences available.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by KarlG

I must agologise but I was only able to read very shortly into before I had to comment.... And here is my comment:
You do realise that recently the Catholic Church released a statement stating that belief in aliens does NOT conflict with the belief in their God?

And it should be noted that I don't think our government knows much more than we do as they aren't really "talking" to us. Thus the reason for the secrecy as they do not wish to confirm there is something out there that we can't even touch.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The mass of people will response the way the media leads them. The pope has nothing to do with true religion. The Vatican pretty much owns the media along with their Zionist partners. They will dictate what the response is to be for their own interests. Wars for 100s of years have been fought by creating a cause to believe in. Disclosure has more to do wit the elitists maintaining control than it does protecting people from themselves. If "Muslims" go on a bombing rampage because they find out about space aliens it will be because the powers that be want that in the agenda. If there is an arranged panic reaction it will be part of an effort to maintain the ruling elite. Most people may be shocked, surprised, afraid but also inspired, encouraged, hopeful depending on what the media encourage them to feel and what "disclose is disclosed".

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by KarlG

Recently, I was reading the "you can't handle disclosure" post and I had a couple of thoughts.

1. Of course I can handle the truth

2. Why couldn't I?

So, what information would somebody have to tell me on ATS, that I can't handle the truth? Suddenly, a fleeting thought entered my mind. It was "go outside and take a walk and you will know". Well, I have been training myself not to ignore these thoughts anymore, so, I went outside.

Guess what I found out, I found out that I may be a lot less able to handle the truth than I thought I was. I walked out to the porch and immediately a hornet presented himself. Ooh, must get away from that! Then a box elder bug started trying to say "hi" but I didn't recognize him at first. Time after time, he / she, tried to land on me and I would instinctively move away. Finally, I allowed the "bug" to land on my leg and it hung around for quite awhile until I was uncomfortable with the "intrusion". I brushed it aside. Then it struck me. Our comfort with aliens may only be as long as they fit a carefully constructed and maintained paradigm about what "they" are and what "they" look and behave like.

We tend to kill / conquer what we don't understand. I have just barely started to understand that I don't have to kill every "bug" or "weed" that I encounter in my travels.

Hope someone finds my experience worthwhile. Good Post!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by KarlG

There is a lot of truth in what you posted but, the way things are going right now, even without alien disclosure, real or not, this world is heading toward complete chaos anyway. So in my opinion, it's worth the risk anyway. People as a whole my freak, but that'll just be a breaking in before accepting it.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I can definitely handle disclosure.

I'll be overjoyed. Happy. Thrilled. Excited. And then I'll try to talk to the aliens, realize i can't because they communicate telepathically. So, back to the drawing board, as GuiltyByDesign said, I'll try to revv up my telepathic/spiritual awakening... and who knows?

But then, I was realizing this just now, it's NOT ABOUT ME.

It's not about you either, CHEMLEY.

It's not about all of us on ATS, because as I have posted earlier, the people on ATS HAVE been exposed, in one way or another, to the truth, and hence, it's not right to use us as benchmarks because we have already been talking about aliens and accepted them as FACT that if aliens were to appear the next day it would NOT freak our freaks.

But there are many who do not.

Flat-Earthers, who think aliens are fiction and need ABSOLUTE proof.

Religious ZEALOTS.

Pastors who have their own ideas of how God works.

NOT ALL pastors, or Christians, but some. Just as how some fundamentalists bring bad name to your religion.

Then there are the people who do not know what to think. Scared and shaken up, they will be easily influenced by people with doomsday messages - and there ARE people out there who are like that - when the aliens probably aren't malevolent, because let's face it, if they have the ability to travel across galaxies, they have the ability to wipe out many species in one go... and they haven't done that yet.

(only crash into Russian forests and Nevadan deserts...)

So WE cannot be used as gauges.

There are people who write, "I WILL BE HAPPY! THRILLED! I'LL CALL MY FRIENDS!"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But we are NOT the majority. We are in fact in such a minority we are insubstantial in the world. And even on ATS, NOT EVERYONE is here about the aliens issue. Some people are here because they want to speak up about Obama "taking away their guns", or about monsters and presidential conspiracies. Some people are on here JUST for the sake of trying to fight us to disprove the existence of aliens.

You have to factor in the people who already can't deal with THEIR OWN SPECIES. Discrimination, crime, suicide (cannot deal with THEMSELVES), nuclear fights, sanctions, war, arrests left and right...

I really don't think the one or two or five people who have expressed joy at being able to handle alien revelation can be representative of everyone in the world.

Granted, Hollywood has been doing its job to "numb" the impact of alien revelation, but it's still worrying how far humanity can descend. Let's face it, theres a LOT more descension that can occur.

Besides, even if aliens were to reveal themselves, who knows if we can communicate with them? (see start of this post)

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by KarlG

We need to know the truth, and we need to face the truth.

What do you think your rulers are doing for you? Nothing, that's what.

The rulers of this world are covering up the truth for reasons that will serve them, and only them.

Get real, the rulers of this world do not care about your fate.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
I personally feel we have enough problems, and we should all be trying to fix them ourselves on earth. This is what some of the things nwo is doing.

I do not really want disclosure in my life, humans have too many problems already. The nwo could be doing alot more positive things than the negative things they are doing.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Well i don't think its the government that are covering up anything in the first place.I think its branches of the military that siphoned off during the 40's/50's and are no longer under control of the government or military.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
How disclosure was taken by the masses would depend on many factors.

1. The aliens' appearance.
2. Their combat capabilities.
3. Their society model.
4. Their stated intentions.
5. Their speculated intentions.
6. What do they want from us?
7. What do they offer us?
8. What was the extent of the governments' knowledge?
9. Are there other aliens as well?
10. What do other alien factions think of each other, us, and these aliens?

and many, many more.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join