It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are people getting stupider?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Smart people are out numbered. There can be no debate over that.

The drive for financial gain leads business leaders to sell their product or service to the average of the lowest common denominator in order to obtain the highest profit. So as people demand cheaper prices, business leaders succumb and offer lower quality.

Cheaper, cheaper, cheaper is the mantra.

Rich people are the cheapest people on the planet because they see no value to YOUR time and labor. YOU can be replaced. So rich people who demand cheap, are in fact digging their own graves by undermining quality.

I really think the human race is getting stupider by the day.

You want cheap, you get no quality.

You're all *snip*.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by In nothing we trust]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

I think it's just that the percentage of what you call "stupid" people are being offered more and more ways to express *ever increasingly louder* their "stupidity", not the actual percentage it's self. Though I would argue it isn't so much "stupidity" as a almost intentional ignorance.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I personally just think the human race is getting further and further from whatever ultimate truth it is that we are meant to discover in the long run.

Not to derail this as a discussion about religion, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but for a while now I have believed that modern religion only exists because people still follow primitive rituals and take stories too literally. Also because they simply do not possess the mental capacity to stop and think for themselves about how logical it really is.

Once again, I'm not trying to distract your discussion, but that was the first example that came to mind.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Judging by the title of this thread I'd say its a good chance people are getting "stupider"

The amazing thing is that the rich and TPTB think we peasants and peons need them, remember Ted Turner's everyone will be cannibals speech? A lot of these people truly believe, like the Pharaohs of old, that they have divine right to be in charge...

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

It's not the choice of 'cheap' or not. In everything there are two choices out of three... cheap, fast, or good.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mw23224
... for a while now I have believed that modern religion only exists because people still follow primitive rituals and take stories too literally. Also because they simply do not possess the mental capacity to stop and think for themselves about how logical it really is.

I'll agree with you there.

Monkey see, monkey do.

Monkey on the stage, monkey in the audience. The road to quality and truthfulness is not passable when leaders play to the lowest common denominator. We are being led to destruction by spineless morons.

I can't say that I blame them. Everyone is against them. After all the people are morons.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Oh I'll tell you the limited intelligence of what seems too be "the populace" is dwindling. I for one notice that people enjoy being ignorant. They would rather be stupid and let everyone do everything for them. I am not referring to anyone specifically, but to the general crowd of people and to general society.

Of course I might be biased since I work Customer Service.

"What, you didn't read the terms and conditions?"
"You didn't know what you were ordering?"
"You're going to contact the attorney general due to your own lack of investigation and thinking skills before giving your credit card # out?"

As a general whole, intelligence seems to be fading in society, yes. Some people remind me of the movie "Idiocracy" with their inability to question and think.
But sheep aren't very smart as a whole either...... They are programmed that way and sometimes borderline on mental retardation in that they cannot think for them self or are just too damn lazy to.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Hey! Good thread! I was going to start one similar. WTG!
Heres some info:

The front page of the Daily Mirror in London announced the re-election of George W. Bush with the question: “How Can 59,054,087 People Be So Dumb?”...
The states with higher average IQs leaned toward Kerry. It claimed that the average IQ in America is 98, far lower than I realized.
From IQ data taken from a book by university professors Richard Lynn and Tatu Vanhanen called “IQ and the Wealth of Nations” and a website that showed IQ data calculated from state SAT and ACT scores, there is an indication that this, indeed, is the average level of intellect in the US.
According to international IQ charts, the United States rates 18 behind other nations in average intellectual levels. At the top is Hong Kong at 107; South Korea, 106; Japan, 105; Taiwan and Singapore, 104; Austria, Germany, Italy and The Netherlands, 102; Sweden and Switzerland at 101; Belgium, China, New Zealand and the United Kingdom at 100; Hungary, Poland and Spain at 99.
People in the IQ range of 90 to 110 are considered good learners and hands-on people well adapted for public service jobs. They make good secretaries, bank tellers, police officers, machinists and sales clerks. That just about describes the American people today. Where are the artists, the writers, the great mathematicians
The bottom line to all of this is that Americans are falling behind. Either we are producing dumber people, or something has gone very wrong with our education system. The masses are turning out to be bungling idiots, content on their menial 9-5 job, their nightly ration of beer and Saturday afternoon football. They will raise the flag and go to war when the leaders tell them to, and they won’t question the order.

What is worse, they lack the intelligence to understand their plight.

Prez Candidate: Americans Getting "Fatter and Dumber"

blogs.abcnews.com...
Someone gets it......

[edit on 11-6-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
i believe the world has a growing percentage of idiots.
you have to watch idiocracy.
it's opening sene is a good way to explain how the idiots are taking over.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3krostatic

As a general whole, intelligence seems to be fading in society, yes. Some people remind me of the movie "Idiocracy" with their inability to question and think.

I gotta see this movie.

Idiocracy
media.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
More stuff I wanted to add.

The mind of this country, taught to aim at low objects, eats upon itself." Ralph Waldo Emerson offered that observation in 1837, but his words echo with painful prescience in today's very different United States.
I cannot prove that reading for hours in a treehouse creates more informed citizens than obsessing about Facebook profiles. But the inability to concentrate for long periods of time – as distinct from brief reading hits for information on the Web – seems intimately related to the inability of the public to remember even recent news events.
The shrinking public attention span fostered by video is closely tied to the second important anti-intellectual force in American culture: the erosion of general knowledge.
It is time for a serious national discussion about whether, as a nation, we truly value intellect and rationality. If this indeed turns out to be a "change election," the low level of discourse in a country with a mind taught to aim at low objects ought to be the first item on the change agenda.

www.dallasnews.com...

Oh ya, I already forgot, we dont read anymore!

I'll have to go get some video, hang on.....

Idiocracy IS a great movie but it's also really scary because of
how close to home it hits. We are already there in my opinion.
We just dont have the lectrolites!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom

...the average IQ in America is 98 ... According to international IQ charts, the United States rates 18 behind other nations in average intellectual levels. At the top is Hong Kong at 107; South Korea, 106; Japan, 105; Taiwan and Singapore, 104; Austria, Germany, Italy and The Netherlands, 102; Sweden and Switzerland at 101; Belgium, China, New Zealand and the United Kingdom at 100; Hungary, Poland and Spain at 99.

People in the IQ range of 90 to 110 are considered good learners and hands-on people well adapted for public service jobs. They make good secretaries, bank tellers, police officers, machinists and sales clerks.

That just about describes the American people today. Where are the artists, the writers, the great mathematicians

The bottom line to all of this is that Americans are falling behind. Either we are producing dumber people, or something has gone very wrong with our education system.

The masses are turning out to be bungling idiots, content on their menial 9-5 job, their nightly ration of beer and Saturday afternoon football. They will raise the flag and go to war when the leaders tell them to, and they won’t question the order.

What is worse, they lack the intelligence to understand their plight.

blogs.abcnews.com...

So who's the genius now?

Intellectuals led to destruction by morons.

Mama we're all morons now.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I geuss I'm one too.
I forget to post the web address and now I cant find it again!

I'll keep looking. The abc link was for the other article.
Sorry, happens to everyone sooner or later...

Here it is:
perdurabo10.tripod.com...
Sorry, me too no real smarts.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom

It is time for a serious national discussion about whether, as a nation, we truly value intellect and rationality.

I think any such discussion might just be a waste of time and resources. It's a foregone conclusion that America desires retardation as the selective gene of choice.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
This is not new but I agree with others that cell phones and all these wireless signals buzzing around are disrupting the brains circuitry. It is so hard to concentrate on anything! I find a huge difference in my ability to think when I go into mountains and steep canyons where this stuff isn't getting through.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Hmmm the better educated people are the less common sense they have. The less educated, the more common sense. Well, then there's the music educated (brainwashed) that seem to have little or no sense at all. I would say, the more people are living unnatural lives the stupider they become. The more people spend exposed to electronic output the less time they have to be genuinely conscious and aware and the more time they are being programmed and guided. Intelligence and "knowing" are two different things. The intellect is a survival function. A substitute for knowing and understanding to help compensate for the cloaking produced by material existence. Common sense is in very short supply. The more ridiculous an idea the more likely the mind is to like it. Clear thinking and common sense are hard to come by in a world of such perpetual spin. Most of what passes for as intelligence is nothing but a capacity to follow a conditioned way of thinking. An affinity with spirit tends to mean a disdain for ignorance and an appreciation for simple common sense. This is superior to an affinity with mental complexity which often appears as intelligence but is really just a love of ignorance.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I think I'm actually getting stupider hanging around ats
instead of doing something constructive.(kidding of course)
I realize we may just possibly change the world starting at this site
and letting others know whats coming, but really I doubt it.
Why? It involves reading, comprehension and action on others part.
The numbers dont look too good for any of us due to some
of the stupid things we do and call it normal.
We are a minority on here. imo
We should be spending what precious time we have on this earth
with our loved ones instead of hanging around on the net complaining about stuff we cant or wont fix anyway.
Sorry to throw a wet blanket on the festivities but we really
all need to get a real life. Ya, I'm upset because
I called myself stupid, now I have to live with it.....

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Yes, people are getting more stupider by the day. Some are even the most stupidest ever.

Case in point.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
addition to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Though it should be noted too that stupid is a subjective term. Like any term really.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Yeah well...

you can look at this from allot of places and viewpoints

For some of us, the stupider people get, the better those of us that are smart do...

Now I for one, from a pov of philosophy try to educate people, but I have to be honest, in the system we live in, it's not in my best interests to give a flying frack... I get to be well off because people click moronic pop up ads... to this day I have no idea why they do it, personally I shut down anything that "pops" up on me... consider it rubbish... My Get out of Dodge pad is also on a ski resort... ever have a bomb shelter by a ski resort, i'm pretty good to go...

Yeah... people actually do believe they can learn Spanish in 24 hrs... what else can I say? oh yeah they also buy allot of ring tones...

Sad part is... i'm a member of Mensa and this is what I do with my life...

yeah, it's pathetic...

But i'm going for mojitos again tonight

we're doomed

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join