It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenager hit by 30,000 mph meteroite - and lives

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Teenager hit by 30,000 mph meteroite - and lives

www.mirror.co.uk

Young Gerrit Blank certainly has a hot story to tell his mates…

The 14-year-old was hit by a meteorite which crashed to earth in a ball of flames at 30,000mph.

It bounced off his hand and left a foot-wide smouldering crater in the tarmac. Gerrit was on his way to school when he spotted the fireball hurtling towards him out of the sky.

He said: “I suddenly felt a pain in my hand. A split second later there was an enormous bang like a crash of thunder.

“When it hit me it knocked me flying and then was still going fast enough to bury itself into the road.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Wow! A meteor fell from space, hit his hand then buried itself into the ground!! Can this be for real? What a story.
So lucky too, if it really was travelling 30,000mph then it could have ripped his head off.
Weird story.

www.mirror.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
More... www.thelocal.de...

[edit on 11-6-2009 by and14263]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Somehow, I find this story difficult to swallow...

If something going fast enough to hit the ground and leave a crater on hard ground hit his hand.... there would be nothing left of it.

Perhaps he was "hit" by the shockwave of the moving object as it passed him.

If you are hit by a bullet that travels 600 to 1500 mph, it leaves a hole in you. Yet, an object moving 30,000 mph bounced off the kid's hand?

Is he from the planet Krypton?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Another article with more quotes here...
www.thelocal.de...

“I thought the meteor struck me, but it could also be a result from the heat as it went by me,” he said.

After the intial shock, Blank looked at the glowing rock the left a sizable crater in Brakeler Wald Street. He then took the iced tea from his school lunch and doused his glowing pebble and took it to school with him.

“At school, I told the story. My classmates believed me,” he said. His parents didn’t get to hear the story until the end of the school day.

Once home, Blank, who plans to focus his studies in science, tested the round, black object and already found some confirmation the pebble is from outer space: like many meteorites, the rock is magnetic.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by and14263]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

It seems like it skimmed off of his hand from what I gathered, especially if it only left a 3 inch scare and didn't disintegrate his hand. I would guess it skipped off of his hand, not penetrate it. Good story though.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Any space rock made up of enough hardened material to not disintegrate and travel at 30,000 mph is not going to "bounce" off someone's hand, it's going to take it off.

Forgetting logic for a second, if it were possible this rock would just bounce off his hand, it certainly would no longer have enough energy to bury itself in to the road.

Come on. This isn't real.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

“I thought the meteor struck me, but it could also be a result from the heat as it went by me,” he said.

He thinks it possibly didn't hit him.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by and14263

He thinks it possibly didn't hit him.

the meteorite probably struck the ground and gravel/rocks flew and bounced off his hand...

thats my bet anyway

[edit on 11-6-2009 by dankanight13]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

Well in that case, someone needs to get their reporting straight. Some of the stuff professional journalists write is pretty embarrassing. It's like they don't take the time to take in to consideration whether or not it even makes sense before publishing it.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
LOL bounced off his hand and left a crater in the pavement. I agree the kid must be Superman. If it really would have struck him it would have taken his hand clean off.

Anyway, I doubt the whole story because meteorites have plenty of time to cool off by the time they reach the surface of the earth.

curious.astro.cornell.edu...

During the final free-fall portion of their flight, meteorites undergo very little frictional heating, and probably reach the ground at only slightly above ambient temperature." However, they point out that there really aren't many reports, and those we have are often "prone to hearsay".

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I find it HIGHLY unlikely he was actually struck by the meteorite. I showed my girlfriend the article and the only thing she said was "wow...that's amazing, but who does he sue now?" I almost fell out of my chair ... HAH

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I was thinking more of a 'skim', a close graze, like three inches or so from his hand.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   

From source...
The result was a 10-centimetre burn on the back of his left hand, but Blank knew something special had happened to him.

A newspaper really shouldn't lie, I mean embelish..., when there are pictures involved. The burn mark on his hand is maybe 2-3 centimeters at most!

I want my money back!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dankanight13

me too.
shrapnel if you will.

like id believe a rock from space at 30,000 mph can leave a crater in the road but only cut skin.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Dumb, there is a limiting velocity for falling bodies.
That why parachutists and live after the chute falls away.

Illuminati science for the mass media, or even more so, the internet
media needs a counter to set things straight.

ED: Ignorance Denied in this case.
Bring on the next Illuminati attempt on our senses.

[edit on 6/11/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
You know in a weird way, I envy the kid.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
One of my high school teachers said he'll sell us Meteor insurance for $100 bux and if you get hit he'll pay you a million (if you live) since the chances of anyone being hit by a meteor are so rare. Imagine if he had to pay this out now? hehe. Either way amazing story.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
Dumb, there is a limiting velocity for falling bodies.
That why parachutists and live after the chute falls away.

Illuminati science for the mass media, or even more so, the internet
media needs a counter to set things straight.

ED: Ignorance Denied in this case.
Bring on the next Illuminati attempt on our senses.

[edit on 6/11/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

Yeah, there's terminal velocity but what if an object is already in a super fast orbit before it enters the atmosphere? Should it slow down to terminal velocity?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I'm thinking the kid got hit by a piece of asphalt from the impact. Given the split-second it would have happened...not like he'd honestly know the difference.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Considering the source, www.mirror, I'm guessing the title is purposely misleading to draw readers.

It may have entered the atmosphere at 30,000 mph,
but speed at impact for smaller meteorites is only a few hundred mph.

csep10.phys.utk.edu... The average velocity of meteoroids entering our atmosphere is 10-70 km/second. The smaller ones that survive the trip to the Earth's surface are quickly slowed by atmospheric friction to speeds of a few hundred kilometers per hour, and so hit the Earth with no more speed than if they had been dropped from a tall building.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join