It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC to gas 2,000 geese

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

Ecologically invasive species do not just "get in the way"

These geese in this case are not being killed because they are "invasive" they are in fact being killed because they can or will "get in the way" of aircraft and could cause a hazard.

Humans have done more to damage the ecological systems of this world than any other invasive species. By your logic the world would be much better off if we humans were eliminated.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
would there be plans to kill them if they were called american geese? just a thought.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

reply to post by BugByte

They're invasive. It's not sadistic, its helping the other species ecologically.

But I'm done arguing so cheers. Yes, killing animals is wrong. But so is allowing them to overtake and imbalance the ecosystem. They have very few natural predators. The situation is getting out of control.

They are invasive? I hope your kidding right, some kind of Joke? You did read the article right? Man wants to kill off 2,000 Geese just so that man can fly!

Man was not meant to fly, birds are! That's why they have wings and we don't. It is man that is invasive, we are going to kill birds just so man can save a few hours of travel time? That is SADISTIC! Only a savage beast could think such a thing, and no, I'm not even a big animal lover, but i do respect the natural order of nature.

Geese need to eat just as the bald eagle needs to eat. The bald eagle has attacked dog's, cats, parrots and other family pets including attacking small children, and yet we don't go out and try to kill the bald eagle witch is a predator and more dangerous than a goose. America wants them dead for no good reason other than to kill.

I tell you this truthful, Canadians see's the geese as a symbol of freedom and I seriously doubt that Canadians will sit idle while the Nazi government of America slaughter defenseless geese. We don't care how you label them.

We as Canadians see it as a serious crime to harm the Canadian goose which is an endangered species, and animal activists around the world will also see this as sadistic. America is making a HUGE mistake if they fallow through with this.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
No blood throwing now ladies !!! wow, some people would rather watch a baby die of starvation then hurt a " sea kitten" , aha

would rather have these invasive geese live, .... and watch an airliner go down next year.

if people like you had their way in the world i would be out of two chinchilla coats and a pair of snake skin boots, ....... and i dont do imitations.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
If god wanted them to live he would have given them gas masks.

lol, sorry.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

Or anti-aircraft missiles so they could eliminate the aircraft that get in their way and threaten their safety whilst flying.

Again, it is all a matter of perspective, even when attempting comedy.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

lol, sorry.

WOW
That has got to be the most intelligent sentence Ive ever read. So much for deny ignorance right?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I was wondering how long before this started to happen.
Now, what do we do about stupid people that get in our way
and do things that threaten our very survival?
Oh I know.....

And you wonder why I picked this name. LOL
We will eventually kill everything anyway, right up
to the day we figure out thats not in our best interest.
Then of course the real fun begins...
Wish you well if you can seriously justify this to yourself.
What can we do about people that overpopulate and threaten other species and in doing so endanger EVER OTHER SPECIES ON EARTH
including other humans? Um, I know.....
One day there will be nothing but each other left to eat.
My advice, stock up on barbeque sauce cuz the heats being turned up
on all of us! But I think I'll waste my time on the palin sex thread.

Something thats infinately more important to us I'm sure.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

would rather have these invasive geese live, .... and watch an airliner go down next year.

YES! And not in the water this time (poor fishies) ... how about in the middle of Manhattan Island next time!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

They are sea kitten's now !!! didn't you get the memo ??

For the record I was just having fun, theres nothing we can say or do to bring them back. I happen to love geese, ..... sometimes inappropriately, .... but I think thats for a different forum.

I can see both sides, I have four lil dogs, and i'd prolly burn half this city to the ground to get one back.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
I hope these animals aren't more intelligent than we think and one day decide to intentionally bring down commercial aircraft.

May mankind live forever in fear of the day when the avian Jihad begins.

Ever seen the movie the birds?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
More news from another source...

www.latimes.com...

Reporting from Washington -- It is "not reasonable" to expect airplane engines to withstand any magnitude of bird strike, a federal safety expert said Thursday, urging a concerted effort to prevent incidents like the one that forced US Airways Flight 1549 to land in the Hudson River in January.

In its final day of hearings into the accident, in which the Airbus A320 lost thrust in both engines after hitting a flock of Canada geese, the National Transportation Safety Board debated engine safety requirements as it related to bird strikes.

Looks like NYC is taking the Canadian geese issue seriously.

At least these birds will not have to endure the torture of concentration camps before being gassed.

The irony of having to kill birds so that humans can fly is overwhelming.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I'm going to clarify one more time:

I don't know politics or the motives behind this plan. If it's for birdstrikes, that's not right and there are many better ways to deal with that issue. I do know that Canadian Geese are classified by many environmental organizations and ecological protection organizations as Invasive Species.

Take from that what you will.

The only subspecies of the Canadian Goose that is endangered is the Aleutian-Canadian Goose, which is not what we're talking about right now and a totally different issue all together.

The goose we're speaking of is the Canada Goose Branta canadensis.

www.fws.gov...

Another challenge for Forsythe refuge
personnel is the proliferation of the
Canada goose (Branta canadensis). The
Atlantic Flyway resident Canada goose
population has grown to over 1 million
birds and has increased at an average
rate of 14 percent a year since 1989. At
Forsythe NWR the resident flock size in
July reaches an average peak of 683 birds.
Over the summer, they devour newly
established dwarf spikerush (Eleocharis
parvula) and other vegetation important
in the diet of other migratory waterfowl.

While Canada and snow geese are native
to North America, in recent years their
populations have escalated beyond the
Refuge’s carrying capacity. These
increased populations have
destroyed the habitats of
other waterfowl species and
become a nuisance along the
Atlantic flyway. Forsythe will
continue to use and monitor
egg-addling, flooding, and
direct take to reduce resident
Canada goose populations.

It's fine to feel sympathy for any sort of organism. Heck, I'm spending my life supporting and protecting them. But you need to understand the whole situation before you blame the government and go "Oh, poor goosie." That's all I ask.

If it is because of air strikes, I don't support the plan here. I would support it in an area where other species are struggling because of this organism.

[edit on 6/11/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Okay no prob. Why dont we just do like this and get the
kiddies involved in the killing too?
We can then charge a buncha money so its a win-win situation.

Enjoy life in america.
We see things only one way here. Killins' just kewl.....
Makes me so proud, how bout you?
Dont suppose there could ever be a better way.....

[edit on 11-6-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

Pigeons aren't invasive the same way that Canadian Geese are. I'm a zoology major. I'd prefer if you didn't talk to me like I'm some pro-murder troll.

And honestly people kill way more than 2,000 non-invasive defenseless harmless birds a year hunting recreationally. That is a much bigger problem.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I appologize but there is no distinction. Pigeons are invasive too.
Killins' just not real cool whatever the reason.
Course I do have a different opinion that most americans obviously.
I'll try and get it together, sorry raven.
I know what you are trying to say and I respect that.
I admire you and your posts on here.
Just let the hunter/killer types loose, that'll fix their wagon, pilgrim!
There just needs to be a better way than killing just so we can
travel a bit faster. That IS so ironic......

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BugByte

Much as your solution sounds repugnant, I think it's fair. I think it has real merit.

This story makes me sick. As a kid growing up in Idaho, the Canadian geese were revered. Yes, we ate them, no more than we needed. I miss their mournful sound flying over. All big birds are majestic to me, but the formation flyers ........... it just makes me sick to think that slaughter of 2000 of them is a fitting solution.

"Let's just pick a number; it won't really do any good, but we have to make an appearance of doing something about the problem."

"Why not kill them all? They're just a nuisance, crapping all over everything...."

"No, the environmentalists will hang us for that. How about 500?"

"Hardly worth the effort".

"1000?"

"Think BIG! You're going to tell the FAA that 1000 birds is going to solve their problem?"

"2000?"

"ahhhhh. NOW you're in the zone."

What an absolute absurd travesty. they had better damn well make those birds count. Whomever came up with this bright idea, THEY should have to kill them AND eat them, every [expletive] [expletive] one of them.

I can't remember when I've ......... nevermind.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

But so is allowing them to overtake and imbalance the ecosystem.

What ever happened to letting nature take care of invasive species that overtake or imbalance an ecosystem? Nature has shown many times in the history of this planet that it can and will render a species endangered or extinct when it oversteps it's boundaries. That's not the job of humans.

I don't mean to sound like I am challenging your knowledge of zoology as it is far greater than mine, but that is how it works.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Excellent point! Thank you!
One day an asteroid or something will obliterate us and we'll
get a taste of mama natures wrath.
Then we will see who has the "right" to survive.

I may not be a zoology major either but I have spent countless
hours with birds and I doubt many on here could ever see it from
my perspective. Or would want to. Man is cruel by nature.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

I honestly hope so. We have done more to disrupt nature than any amount of Canadian geese ever could in a billion years. I think we're long over due.

To be fair though, mother nature has taken shots at us. Not to sound sadistic or anything, but the Indian Ocean tsunami and Hurricane Katrina are prime examples of what happens when we overstep our boundaries; if we didn't destroy natural habitats just to give ourselves an ocean view, that many people wouldn't have died.

This planet would be a much better place without us because it doesn't need us. Every living species on the Earth doesn't need our televisions, our computers, our cell phones, our corrupt governments and economies, our vehicles, or even our food to survive. Once we are gone, life on this planet will keep right on moving - not even stopping to take notice - and will even improve for many animal species.

We're a problem, not a solution. I believe we'll get what's coming to us.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join