It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC to gas 2,000 geese

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Don't get in the way of man and his incredible flying machines...

www.usatoday.com...

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City plans to trap and kill as many as 2,000 Canada geese this summer in an attempt to avoid the type of collision that caused an airliner to ditch in the Hudson River.
The hunt will take place on dozens of city properties within five miles of Kennedy and LaGuardia airports.

Aviation officials have culled bird flocks on airport property for years, but this will mark a major expansion of the effort into other parts of the city.

The roundup is being timed with the molting season, when the geese can't fly. It is scheduled to begin within a week. The birds will be gassed.

They will wait until the birds can't fly?

I suppose scaring the birds off is impossible?

Collecting them and relocating them is out of the question?

Can they be culled and offered as food to the homeless?

Gassed when they can't fly seems a bit cowardly, though other methods could be much too expensive.

I hope these animals aren't more intelligent than we think and one day decide to intentionally bring down commercial aircraft.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish

Can they be culled and offered as food to the homeless?

The next thing you'll want to do is offer just the bottoms of muffins to the homeless.

en.wikipedia.org...(Seinfeld_episode)

Are they not human?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
They are an invasive species and a problem, and deep down this is probably the right thing to do, but I still feel like it's cruel.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Yes, we should just kill every living thing on our planet that gets in our way or pisses us off, wait are`nt we already doing that.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Maybe because it is cruel.

Its good to know that if something becomes a bit of a POTENTIAL problem, we kill it.

Excellent logic.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Hey, I remember that episode.

Maybe they can offer bottoms of muffins along with a free gassed goose dinner to the homeless?

Seriously, if they have to exterminate these defenseless animals so that the still employed and wealthy people can fly without worries of birds getting in the engines, then why waste the animals?

Save the flying humans, kill the birds, feed the poor!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ohh_pleasee

Canadian geese aren't potential problems. They are an ecological problem. They're invasive. They're not even that defenseless, their population has exploded so much in the recent decades that 2,000 of them is not that many.

You all know I'm in love with animals and work so hard to protect them. But these guys are like zebra mussels and other invasive species.

www.mdinvasivesp.org...

www.dec.ny.gov...

In urban and suburban areas throughout New York State, expanses of short grass, abundant lakes and ponds, lack of natural predators,limited hunting, and supplemental feeding have created an explosion in resident goose numbers. While most people find a few geese acceptable, problems develop as local flocks grow. Problems include over-grazed lawns, accumulations of droppings and feathers on play areas and walkways, nutrient loading to ponds, public health concerns at beaches and drinking water supplies, aggressive behavior by nesting birds, and safety hazards near roads and airports.

They've caused so much competition with other species. It's an issue.

rochesterenvironment.com...

Just take a look at some of the links on that above page.

[edit on 6/11/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

Canadian geese aren't potential problems. They are an ecological problem. They're invasive. They're not even that defenseless, their population has exploded so much in the recent decades that 2,000 of them is not that many.

The NWO elites pretty much look at us the same way.
Heck, I look at us the that way. What exactly makes humans a non-invasive species when they grab so much land away from anything else for their exclusive use?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

You all know I'm in love with animals and work so hard to protect them. But these guys are like zebra mussels and other invasive species.

How can something that flies be expected to do anything but define its own range of territory?

Also, if they're going to kill so many, what are they going to use them for? Will their carcasses simply be burned? Whom could they feed?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I can't help but wonder how they came up with the 2,000 number.

Will there be some official in charge of counting the kills?

Do they have to stop at exactly 2,000?

Maybe the 2,000 is a best guess and are thinking that no one will care how many they actually kill.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Canada has been protecting the geese for over 50 years, costing millions of dollars. This could literally start a war between Canada and the USA.

The animals of this world have been here since before man. We should now kill all the animals of the world so that man will not be bothered by animals anymore?

In Canada, millions of people go out to parks and lakes to hand feed these birds. All I can say is if this hit mainstream news in Canada.... look out!

And how would Americans feel if Canadians started killing off the American bald eagle? I propose Canada kill one American bald eagle for every Canadian goose that is intentionally killed for the sake of man.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BugByte
And how would Americans feel if Canadians started killing off the American bald eagle? I propose Canada kill one American bald eagle for every Canadian goose that is intentionally killed for the sake of man.

Playing devil's advocate here.

With all due respect Canada, our bald eagles are not threatening your aircraft, nor the safety of the flying public.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkswithfish

It was only meant to show how dumb the idea is to kill off animals for the sake of man, I would never truly promote such a sadistic idea. I was only trying to convey that we are not more civilized than the previous generations, but that we are becoming more like savage beasts.

This is not a well thought out idea and it wont ensure your safety when flying.

Does the movie "Idiocracy" come to mind here?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Many of them carry parasites. I wouldn't eat one, but you could.

They're an invasive species. I mean, it's a proven fact. Like certain breeds of bullfrogs which ended up in an area and overtook all the other populations. With geese, they were brought to areas by humans as targets and some were released.

They destroy flora and compete with other flora. Humans are the most invasive species and I'm all for letting us die naturally.

If they are putting the ecosystem out of balance enough for other species to be suffering, their population needs to be reduced. That's my general rule.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BugByte

They're invasive. It's not sadistic, its helping the other species ecologically.

But I'm done arguing so cheers. Yes, killing animals is wrong. But so is allowing them to overtake and imbalance the ecosystem. They have very few natural predators. The situation is getting out of control.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

reply to post by BugByte

They're invasive. It's not sadistic, its helping the other species ecologically.

Yeah, Hitler too thought of the Jews as "invasive" and he too thought that gassing them would eliminate the problem.

Come to think of it, most of the Middle East tend to think of the Jews in Israel as a kind of invasive species that needs to be eliminated.

The line between animals and humans is clearly a matter of perspective. And of course depending on that perspective even humans can be seen as animals.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by Walkswithfish]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Just relax guys, It looks like the government is on top of this one. Aparently the cia has uncovered a dastardly plot involving al qaeda operatives hijacking ........ that is right ... geese !! Will this reign of terror never end !!!!
The bulk of this plot is written all over their beady lil eyes and malicious beaks !! ...... america 1 / geese 0

we really should have seen this one coming.

Fortunately for me no geese will ever get to read these blasphemous remarks, ...... because as we all know, .... most of them cant afford internet access.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

My gawd, humans disgust me to no end. Murdering innocent life forms, simply because THEY (that were MEANT to fly) are getting in your way?

May nature retaliate 10 fold ... no, 100 FOLD!!! 1000 fold!!! (come on swine flu, kick some humon ass!!!) I will pray for this tonight and light a candle for these poor geese! #$%@ing humons!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Humans are animals.

Ecologically invasive species do not just "get in the way"

If anyone has any doubts that invasive species are a problem, I implore you do to a little research. Start with zebra mussels and work your way up the phylogenetic tree.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

They're an invasive species. I mean, it's a proven fact.

So are humons! Come on nature, blow your stack, ignite Yellowstone, gas these parasites known as humon and teach them a lesson!

This is infuriating!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join