It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest diamond in galaxy predicts future of solar system

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingCupPlate
I don't get this, what does it mean by largest dimond?

Let me break it down for you.

Carbon atoms compress and form diamond crystals.

at the end of a star's life most of what is left is carbon.

ten billion trillion trillion carats is the size of this thing.

546 carots is the largest diamond on earth which was cut from a larger raw diamond.

Does that add a bit of perspective?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Just to put that into perspective:

IF a diamond was "10 Billion Trillion Trillion Carats" or (2 * 10^30 kilograms)

(The SUN (Our Sun) is 1.9 * 10^30 kilograms)

If we brought that back to our solar system (and our system somehow survived the Gravitational shear and tidal forces)

We could give each and EVERY human being on the planet earth a Diamond the size of Saturn's moon Titania.

Which would instantly crush the planet earth, and blast the moon apart with tidal forces.

Mars, and Venus would become unstable and probably crash into the sun, and Jupiter would lower its orbit, lose all its moons and the solar system would in all probability be destroyed.

-Edrick

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
we better get it and keep it as a symbol for earth, so that in 400 yrs when we come into contact with other aliens, they can come on tourism and say, "WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU TREASURE CRYSTALLIZED CARBON, OUR PLANETS FULL OF IT, AND WE HAVE SOME WAY LARGER THAN THAT".

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

umm its not that big, its only the size of our moon

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Scope and a Beam

I heard they are now officially refering to this huge dimond as.....Neil.

I wonder how it formed, or was it part of a much bigger planet or rock that broke up in an impact or collision.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scope and a Beam
I imagine it's bigger than or the same size as our sun from the reference to identifying it's worth. They should bring it to earth and sell it, would solve the recession straight away lol.

Couple of problems with bringing it to Earth and selling it... One the only thing that can cut a diamond is another diamond!! Now all you need is a lot of diamonds just to cut it up!

The second thing is bringing it here would kinda throw everything off in our solar system - probably destroying the Earth.

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then... One the only thing that can cut a diamond is another diamond!! Now all you need is a lot of diamonds just to cut it up!...

Not really. A normal chisel can be used to cut -- or "cleave" -- a diamond along its facets. Diamonds are weak along the facets. People do, however, use diamond-dust saws to cut the face of diamonds, but that's not the only way to cut one.

To polish the face of a diamond, however, diamond-dust must be used, because diamonds are so hard that only another diamond can scratch -- or polish -- one.

[edit on 7/2/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join