It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest diamond in galaxy predicts future of solar system

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Astronomers discovered the largest diamond of all times in space. The weight of the precious stone reportedly makes up ten billion trillion trillion carats or five million trillion trillion pounds).

The space diamond is virtually an enormous chunk of crystallized carbon, 4,000 kilometers in diameter. The stone is located at a distance of 50 light years from Earth, in the Constellation Centaurus

Source
english.pravda.ru...

The titles a little misleading but it's interesting none the less. I hope I've got this in the right section.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by Scope and a Beam]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
OK, so how much is it worth? 0o

Imagine that on a ring... hahaha.

so is it a size of a planet or is it more like the size of Texas?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Er, looks like it would be the size of the moon.

moon = 2500 miles = about 4000km

-Edrick

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
That's still not big and shiny enough to satisfy some women I know.

I thought that suns that burned themselves out turned into dense dwarfs (no not stupid little people)

Carbon is a relatively "light" element.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Wow! That is so beautiful! I don't really get how big they are saying it is, but the reference to needing a jewlers' tool as big as the sun makes it sound very very large!

Thanks for finding and posting this article, I can't wait for more information to come in on this!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

No problem

I imagine it's bigger than or the same size as our sun from the reference to identifying it's worth. They should bring it to earth and sell it, would solve the recession straight away lol.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Wow that would be a jeweler's dream....or a female's dream ring

to the OP: you should change your quote, you have some lines mixed in about a soviet submarine in there..

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Estharik

Oh yeah thanks for that, it's been edited now.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

The space diamond is virtually an enormous chunk of crystallized carbon, 4,000 kilometers in diameter. The stone is located at a distance of 50 light years from Earth, in the Constellation Centaurus

DeBeers already secured complete mining rights to the giant diamond by paying off prominent local politicians. They have plans to start enslaving the people that live on the diamond and forcing them to work and die as miners.

Jon

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Good news for space exploration! The N.Y. Jewish diamond market just contributed 500 Billion dollars towards N.A.S.A.! We will soon have that baby being cut with giant lasers.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
"The white dwarf is not only radiant but also harmonious. It rings like a gigantic gong, undergoing constant pulsations. "

That is the most interesting quote of the article, to me. Is it picking up these vibrations and amplifying them or is it emitting them? If the latter, then why/how? Does anybody know of similar properties of terrestrial diamonds/carbon?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
No, A diamond that large would PANIC jewelers and diamond merchants alike.

Diamonds have absolutely no concrete value on their own... just shiny rocks.

Their inflated price is based on their scarcity.

If humanity suddenly had a moon sized diamond available to it, DeBeers would quickly go bankrupt, and diamonds would no longer be a "Girls Best Friend"

They would be worth pennies per pound, or ton.

If you read the 2001 series by Arther C Clarke, he goes into some detail (in 3001) about the core of Jupiter being compressed carbon, that got blown into orbit when Lucifer was born (the Jovian Star)

He states that humanity began mining the diamond planetoid for CONSTRUCTION materials.

Could you imagine it?

Cities made of diamond?

WOW!

-Edrick

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
50 light years is obviously too far to harvest anything of any size.

And I take *anything* I read on pravda with a grain of salt, they've published BS before.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

And I take *anything* I read on pravda with a grain of salt, they've published BS before.

And even then it's still a bit tasteless

Pravda have reported on something that is based in factual reality for a change. This massive diamond was discovered years ago and seems to pop up from time to time when a journalist has little to write about...

Astronomers Find a Huge Diamond in Space

PRAVDA Largest diamond in galaxy predicts future of solar system

The first article is 2004 and the Pravda is 2007. You can see where the Pravda journo has pilfered parts of the former
What a great job to have!

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
it always gives me a chuckle when people talk about the scarcity of diamonds. they're on every street corner in america. more common than cheesburgers.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Thought I remembered this story. It was from 2004.

Diamond star thrills astronomers

Last Updated: Monday, 16 February 2004, 15:31 GMT

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

hahahaha... I know that American writers are all drunks, I can't imagine what it's like to be in the news room on Monday morning in Russia is like.

Aliens downed Tunguska meteorite to save Earth Front page / Science / Mysteries 24.03.2008 Source: Pravda.Ru

pravda.ru ... (truth in russian, lol..)

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by kidney thief
"The white dwarf is not only radiant but also harmonious. It rings like a gigantic gong, undergoing constant pulsations. "

That is the most interesting quote of the article, to me. Is it picking up these vibrations and amplifying them or is it emitting them? If the latter, then why/how? Does anybody know of similar properties of terrestrial diamonds/carbon?

I think it's alive (and beautiful too!), we buggers should leave it alone!

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kidney thief

If you want an answer to that question, you have to look no further than your cell phone, or a pay phone. There is a crystal in there...

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I don't get this, what does it mean by largest dimond?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join