It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: At Least 9 US Troops killed in Iraq Sunday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Reports from Iraq of the deaths of as many as 9 US soldiers on this Sunday possible indication of retaliation over abuse of Iraqis at the hands of US soldiers?

As many as 11 US troops killed in Iraq today, and as many as 30 hurt in or near the Iraqi town of Ramandi...
MSNBC.com

The following are my comments:

I know at this moment there is all lot of anger about over the abuse of Iraqis at the hands of US soldiers.

And all of that anger is just. But I refuse to believe that the majority of US and UK forces in Iraq are all "bad apples"

I think everyone may be looking away from reports of hurt or Killed troops in Iraq.

I would like to remind you that those killed in Iraq on all sides are victims of war and all leave families and loved ones to deal with the aftermath of their death... and to wonder what might have been.

Most of the men and women in Iraq I believe serve with honor and pride.

Please do not forget them. Their death has no less meaning because of the actions of a few of their fellow soldiers.

9 in one day was once huge news here.. now it is left to a newb like me to post about it!

[Edited on 2-5-2004 by Banshee]

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
(editor's note: author has been asked to reformat his submission to our guidelines: www.abovetopsecret.com... )

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I was hoping May would not be as bad as April, where there were almost 5 coalition deaths per day.

This is not looking good so far though.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
So much senseless loss of life. So much of it influenced by outside forces, not Iraqi's. There are foreign elements inside Iraq that want to see the US retreat from Iraq in shame, the way the Russians left Afghanistan. As a matter of fact, there are elements inside the US that want to see the US retreat in shame.

I say, after we turn over the gov't to them on June 30th, we give the security detail to the UN. Then the French can have their cheap oil deals once again, as they had before we went in. And Kofi Annan and his band of thieves can rape the Iraqi's financial future, as they had been doing before we went in. A President Kerry has promised to work with the UN, so he can smooth the way for the internal demise of the US. al Qaeda can reclaim their downtown Baghdad office space. The Iraqi people will go back to their sub-human level of existence, and all will be well in the world again.

[Edited on 2-5-2004 by jsobecky]

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Several things to consider: The road to Bagdad was comparably easy, at least based on pre-war projections. Remember all the talk in the first week of the war about Bagdad parameter defenses and the possible use of WMD. In a sense, the Coalition was not prepared for a fairly easy victory. With Bagdad captured and only a few remaining hot spots, the Coalition seemed unprepared to begin governing Iraq and rebuilding its infrastructure. It does not appear that the people and the logistics were in place for “winning the peace.” Had the Coalition been able to get the lights back on, running water, etc. much sooner, some of the current problems might be somewhat reduced. Troop rotation has also been a problem. It has been difficult for the Iraqi populace to deal with the rotating troop commanders who have different styles of leadership and practice different operational tactics. There was also the fallacious view that the Iraqis of all types (Sunni; Shiite, Kurd) would see the coalition as the Great Liberators, put aside their differences, and immediately work a common goal. History has shown that these groups has rarewly worked together and it was somewhat naive on the Coalition’s part to believe it would happen in this instance. In short we won the war too easy and were not prepared to govern the peace.

new topics

top topics

join