It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: North Korea to Match U.N. Resolution With New Nuclear Test

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by manbird12000
Great news Fellas!!! Maybe if we denounce them enough, they'll Nuke themselves to death!!

" I'll do it!!!! I'll do it right now.... If anybody moves I'm a dead man!"

Retroactive abortion

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
We have to also look at the fact that just because they have nuclear "devices" and are developing ICBM's , doesn't ensure they have rigged down a nuclear warhead to be able to withstand being launched by a missle. It takes alot of refinements in the machinery to ensure that the device will survive the launch and still be able to reach critical mass. Most intelligence reports still say NK hasn't yet been able to get close to that kind of tech. The most the could do is use an aircraft to deliver a payload.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by gYvMessanger

i was born in ak and i think im really a citizen. continentalism is hate speech just like the other isms. i really like making up words btw.

they better not touch my country.... er state! ill sick the polar bears on them!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by gYvMessanger
That's ok then ? Only killing American Citizens in Alaska or Hawaii, I mean they aren't real Americans right ?

That wasn't my point... more the fact that they haven't been able to exceed the Pacific Rim, let alone manning anything with a warhead. - entirely different scenarios all together.

... yet all you hear via the 6 o'clock SnewZe is "capable of striking America, the US".

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I understand what you are saying, and agree completely...

It's the reason I am more worried about a nuclear explosion in the areas surrounding N.K. more than on U.S. soil. The ramifications would still be just as bad.

But like you said, threat to us here sells more news.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think that more than just talk should be going on... I mean NK wants a war to happen. Everyday I read a different news article saying that NK will consider this or that an act of war. I highly doubt that NK would be able to reach the US with a nuke.... I think if they could have, they would have. Not-to-mention the missile shield the US has to protect from missile attacks. You cant start a nuclear war with only 1 or 2 nukes, especally when the " enemy " has a missile defense shield. Even if they did launch, it would not make it over the ocean.

I think the world is just waiting to see WTF crazy Kim is gonna do. Because there is no way he could get away with nuking anyone besides SK just due to distance. But once that happens sit back and watch the fireworks cause NK will no longer be on the map. Which I think is kinda sad. I really feel for the citizens. It would suck ( for lack of a better word) to have crazy kim as a leader. Im suprised there has not been a revolution yet.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by Topsy_Cret]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Why do North Korea bother to do their tests underground? Surely if they wanted to scare the living crap out of the world I'd have thought a mushroom cloud rising above the dawn mist would have just that effect.

Here's a thought, could you fake the power of an atom bomb with conventional explosives underground, and claim to have an atom bomb?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

Thats what lots of people thought it was in 2006...just a shedload of explosives.Although the recent one was more than likely a nuclear weapon.As for this article,cool.Test your weapon...as long as it isn't pointed anywhere i could care less if they like making big badda booms for showmanship.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
OK,

naturally the question's are:

What will Russia do/do about it?

What will China do/do about it?

What will US/NAto do about?

What SHOULD they do about it?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

Replying to my own post (is that bad form?) I just read this on the BBC After effects of a nuclear detonation

Maybe my earlier post was right?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
OK,

naturally the question's are:

What will Russia do/do about it?

What will China do/do about it?

What will US/NAto do about?

What SHOULD they do about it?

Russia and China will work the back channels to try to get Kim to abdicate, with incentives to follow if his son plays ball.

The US doesn't have as much access to NK, so they'll likely work through Russia and China, probably come up with a few offers for financial support to follow.

NATO will do nothing because it's way out of their mandate, unless there's an attack on the USA. Even still, it's not likely they'd go in because of the tinderbox that would create with China and Russia.

What SHOULD they do?

That's a good question. The only solution I can think of requires China, Russia, the USA, South Korea, and Japan putting aside their myriad differences and working together to pull NK out of the mire that they are all responsible for creating, in one way or another. The level of distrust that exists between all parties means that it will either never happen or wind up a worse mess than it actually is.

Let's face it, NK makes East Germany circa 1985 look GOOD - by any measurable standard. It's going to take another two generations for differences between the former east and west to level out in Germany. North Korea will need a HUGE investment of cash, human resources in all fields, technology... everything... sustained for the next 50 years to bring it in line with China's standard of living. The place is in very rough shape.

That's what's required to actually SOLVE this, once and for all. 5 countries that are at best on the same terms as a divorced couple on child visitation day need to take the helm, and work together on a timeframe that transcends election cycles.

The worrying thing is - that's the easy way. The hard way involves a lot of people dying.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

That was a very reasonable response to a complicated scenario. I totally agree with you. Unfortunately we still have to face the fact that Lil Kim is no longer playing with a full deck. Even if concessions are made and NK gets lots from the 5 major players and the UN they will still drag this out into some form of military action, which is to keep the people of NK pacified so when Kim JR takes over officially he has shown the people of NK he is a strong leader.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by habfan1968

I agree,his son is gonna have to ''raise his pimp hand'' wile dads still around to keep them in line..

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
This is another desperate attempt by Kim to appear crazy, and apparently most of you are buying it.

This is actually the best thing he can do for us, use up his nuclear material testing it. He is just being defiant, he's like a little kid that thinks if he screams loud enough he will get his wish, in this case a payoff.

The best thing to do is not change our course, if china really will cut off trade, they are doomed. NK will have three choices, starve, declare war, or give in.

Since two of those options are suicide for Kim and his dictatorship, as long as we stick to our guns, and china actually follows through he is almost sure to give in.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by proximo]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
China is pulling North Korea's strings.
I now have no doubt.

You dont back the North in a war agains the South and US in the 50's,only to abandon them over a nuclear test.
You dont back the North over previous nuclear tests, skirmishes on borders and rhetoric, only to abandon them over another nuclear test.

The US and China have been playing cat and mouse for a few months now, ships on the sea', financially, politically, through tibet and the lama.

China has the ability to overtake the US and become the world superpower, they just need America to make one more false move and destroy public respect about them, and further degrade their economy.

I dont believe for a minute that China is willing to forgo the 'number 1 title' and stab its old time friend in the back, to stand with the USA over some nuclear tests.

Remember, China and North Korea only 50yrs ago fought to kill the Americans

China entered the Korean War, still called the "War to Resist America and Aid Korea", to support North Korea. More than two million Chinese, part of the Chinese People's Volunteer forces led by Peng Dehuai, were drawn into the conflict

You dont fight with a friend, back them for 50yrs, then all of a sudden abandon them to stand with their arch enemy.
China's economy is in as much trouble as anyone elses, and North Korea is a economic asset for China.

A review of Chinese customs reports published by the Institute for Far Eastern Studies in Seoul reveals that hundreds of millions of dollars of coal, steel and aluminum have been exported across the border this year.
Pinkston says North Korea is feeding China's voracious appetite for natural resources.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwydionblack

I honestly don't get how any of the countries on the UN security council can condemn JACK because they all have nukes stockpiled themselves, and the US is not one to talk.

How often are we going to have to discuss this invalid argument? As has been mentioned time after time, North Korea was a signatory to the Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty. That treaty represented a binding agreement among the parties who signed on, not to increase the nuclear stockpiles that existed at that time.

This treaty is what gives the countries on the National Security council to demand that NK cease their illegal activities.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp. Treaties are binding.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Why is it that we went to war with Iraq with false inteligence stating that they had weapons of mass destruction, and yet we found nothing, And here is No. Korea showing off all of there weapons of mass destructions and the US does nothing. No. Korea is a far more threat than Iraq is.

typo

[edit on 11-6-2009 by Alchemst7]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alchemst7
Why is it that we went to war with Iraq with false inteligence stating that they had weapons of mass destruction, and yet we found anything, And here is No. Korea showing off all of there weapons of mass destructions and the US does nothing. No. Korea is a far more threat than Iraq is.

Well that's a two part answer in my opinion. For one there is the very real threat of the Chinese military becoming involved on NK's behalf if there is any kind of military action in NK. I agree with Agit8d that China is not going to turn their back on a long time ally. Part two to my answer is that there's no oil in NK.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShAuNmAn-X

Originally posted by Alchemst7
Why is it that we went to war with Iraq with false inteligence stating that they had weapons of mass destruction, and yet we found anything, And here is No. Korea showing off all of there weapons of mass destructions and the US does nothing. No. Korea is a far more threat than Iraq is.

Well that's a two part answer in my opinion. For one there is the very real threat of the Chinese military becoming involved on NK's behalf if there is any kind of military action in NK. I agree with Agit8d that China is not going to turn their back on a long time ally. Part two to my answer is that there's no oil in NK.

China will not get engaged in a military affair against the US on behalf of North Korea. Just because it happened in the 50's, does not mean it will happen again. NK is far more dependent on China than China is of it. In fact, China's economy is so dependent on the US (19% of exports go to US) that any military engagement against the US will be disastrous for the Chinese.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I dont even want to really think about what a war with NK might involve. What, casualties in the 6/10 million range? In a few days? I'm talking all out war here, minus nukes,thats the kind of casualties we can expect if it gets real ugly fast,like I think it could,I dont like it,there is nothing worth that cost.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join