It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New attack rocks Pakistani city

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

news.bbc.co.uk...

At least one person has been killed and several injured in a suicide attack on Pakistani security forces in the troubled city of Peshawar, police say.

Officers said an attacker threw a grenade at a police checkpoint and the suicide bomber blew himself up
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Yup it sure is starting to heat up. I wonder whats next? The Pakistani tribesmen took it upon themselves to rid some of their towns and small villages of Taliban. It appears they are having a rough go of things.

This goes to show that it's a pitched battle going on right now.
Only time will tell which side will come out on top.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-6-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Here is a related story from a few days back.
Pakistanis rise against Taliban after mosque blast

PESHAWAR, Pakistan (AP) — Pakistani tribesmen avenging a mosque attack surrounded two militant strongholds and destroyed the homes of some Taliban commanders, an official said Monday as the death toll in the fighting hit 13.

As many as 1,600 tribesmen have joined a citizens' militia in Upper Dir district — an indication of rising anti-Taliban sentiment in Pakistan as the military pursues its offensive against the militant group in the nearby Swat Valley.

The militias, known as lashkars, were focusing on two villages known as Taliban strongholds, said Khaista Rehman, a local police chief. Officials said Sunday the tribesmen had managed to clear three other villages.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Here is another post I did on whats going on in the region. Things are happening a lot faster than we realize. I'm starting to think this could come to a head real soon.

60 Taliban Killed in Afghanistan as US Deploys More Troops

www.voanews.com

Authorities in southern Afghanistan said local and foreign troops have killed as many as 60 Taliban militants in the past week, as part of a stepped up anti-insurgency operation. And about 7,000 additional U.S. troops have begun deploying across volatile southern Afghanistan.

Deployment of additional American troops in Afghan border areas has worried Pakistani officials. They have long maintained the militancy in Pakistan has gained strength from insurgents who have been fleeing the U.S-led offensive in Afghanistan and taking refuge in Pakistani border areas.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
wow thats truely some vigilanty action over there, and I'm proud that the citizens have finally had enough and are putting an end to that mess. i hope they do anyways.

i mean what is the point of the taliban anyways anymore. are they just anarchists or idiots? im guessing both....

GET EM SUPER CITIZENS!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mahtoosacks

Well that's just it.
The Afghanistan regional Chiefs and the Pakistani village Chiefs both don't care for the Taliban.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

isn't that kind of a win-win for us? The citizens of the country are fed up and taking a stand against oppression. Now all we have to do is quietly sneak out the back door and let them take care of business. Oh, I wish it was that simple.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

i think that was supposed to be the original plan.

"We will be greeted as liberators and they will become empowered to kick butt themselves!"

well 8 years later FINALLY! but wrong country guys.... for real...

at least its a start

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This is a snippet from one of my other threads on this topic. Well worth the time to read.
The New Great Game

Almost 70% of Afghanistan is controlled and ran by regional chieftains who don't care for the Taliban or the New Government. They were the ones who helped the US over throw the Taliban in the first place. They remembered when we helped them fight off the Soviets. So they returned the favor. The problem is that many of our generals and troops don't know that history and end up making new enemies of the ones who helped us in he first place. The same goes for Pakistani Tribal Chieftains they don't want the Taliban there either!

www.google.com

Pakistan tribe agrees to hand over Taliban

KHAR, Pakistan (AP) — A tribe in a Pakistani region where the military has fought insurgents has agreed to stop sheltering foreign fighters and hand over local Taliban leaders, authorities said. Pakistan has previously signed such pacts with tribes in its northwest regions bordering Afghanistan, and they tend to unravel.

But Monday's agreement in the Bajur tribal area came after the army said it had defeated insurgents there after six months of fighting. Bajur is a rumored hiding place of al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, and the offensive there has earned praise from American officials who are concerned that militants use Pakistan as a base from which to plan attacks in Afghanistan.

www.timesonline.co.uk

US sacks top military commander in Afghanistan

The top US military commander in Afghanistan was sacked today after both the Pentagon and the White House decided that “fresh thinking” was needed to win the war. General David McKiernan, who has spent just 11 months in charge of Nato forces in Afghanistan, will be replaced by Lieutenant-General Stanley McChrystal who previously led the special operations command and is credited with killing the leader of Al-Qaeda in Iraq, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi. Lieutenant-General David Rodriguez will be handed a new position of deputy commander of US forces in Afghanistan.

So instead of learning from our mistakes and making the changes needed to bring stability to the region. We do what is exactly the opposite of whats needed. We bring in a big gun so to speak and replace one General with another. I wonder if he understands the history? Who is the new guy?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Pakistan targets Taliban in new combat zone,kill scores

BANNU,Pakistan, June 11 (Reuters) - The Pakistani army attacked an area bordering a militant stronghold near the Waziristan tribal region on Thursday, killing scores of Taliban fighters with helicopter gunships and artillery shelling, officials said.

Already in the final stages of an operation to clear Islamist fighters from the Swat valley, far to the northwest and closer to Islamabad, the military said it went on the offensive in Bannu district after up to 800 militants infiltrated from Waziristan.

new topics

top topics

join