It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warning to Future US Hostages....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Interesting, if predictable perspective. I hear that 30 new investigations are under way (the Sid Hersch article in this weeks New Yorker will blow it all sky high anyway).....

For those who might not grasp the potential consequences of the prisoner abuse in Iraq!

ALL BETS ARE OFF!
A WARNING TO FUTURE AMERICAN HOSTAGES
(Courtesy of George W. Bush's and the American News Media)
TvNewsLies.org Editorial - May-2004

Hostage-taking is now a standard weapon in Iraq. Thatís a given. At this moment, at least one American soldier and one American contractor have been taken hostage in this insane quagmire.

Hostage-taking has a long and painful history in the Middle East, and you can bet your bottom dollar it will continue. In the past, arduous negotiations, sometimes years in the making, have brought some hostages home. In the past, hostages were sometimes unharmed by their captors. In the past, there were deals and hostages survived. The past, however, is over.

In the light of recent revelations about our horrid abuse of Iraqi prisoners, what are the odds that our missing men or any future American hostages will ever again survive their ordeals?

Americans are not unfamiliar with revenge. The military response to the murders and mutilations of four American security personnel was a devastating attack that killed more than 1,300 people in the Suni city of Fallujah. Women and children and old people died in homes indiscriminately hit by 500 and 1000 pound bombs. This was pay back, big time. US marines went into the city with a vengeance, and their revenge was swift and bloody, if not sweet. But the American wish for retaliation cannot hold a candle to the cultural need to avenge a wrong in the Moslem world.

Avenging a wrong is not a choice among most Moslems, for Islamic culture teaches that it is a duty to take revenge against those who would harm you. Not to avenge an undeserved wrong would bring dishonor to an entire family for a lifetime in a culture where family honor is a driving force. Now consider this: the images of humiliation and abuse that have been released this week throughout Iraq and the entire Moslem world are devastating and unprecedented. These are images of acts committed by those who would bring them democracy and freedom. These are images of acts that will sadden, shame, and enrage. These are images of acts that will be avenged, - if not today, tomorrow, and if not tomorrow, the day after. Time is not a factor, honor is. Remember that...

For the entire article:

www.tvnewslies.org...

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Interesting perspective on the Islamic need for revenge. Americans have long memories, too, but the difference is that our warriors are shackled by political correctness and a mistaken notion that we should show a better side to the world than they show to us. Mistaken because it makes no difference one way or the other; the world will continue to hate us, no matter what we do, simply because we are a great nation.

The link you provided is just so much ridiculous BS, though. No facts, just misinformed partisans exercising their right to ridicule.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I have no doubt we will pay for what has happened in Iraq involving the abuse of Iraqis at the hands of US soldiers.

What worries me is the propaganda value this will have for the radical islamists, they could not have created anything better for their cause than what we all have seen by now.

You can bet they will exploit this situation to the max!

And as far as what could happen to the future hostage.. hmm that I do not want to imagine.. what about the hostages being held their now?

shudders.... OMG.

But maybe the islamists could try to take a higher ground by treating their hostages in a more humane way than we have their own kind... If they did that it could add even more to their cause.

By these actions of a few in Iraq we may have given the enemy in the war on terrorism a great victory... only time will tell.

Gazz

[Edited on 2-5-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I truly believe we'll start to see suicide/homicide terrorist attacks on our soil.

with this wave of prisoner abuse photos, it just gives the radicals a reason to attack us.

"an eye for an eye" is how they look at it.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Wasn't the last kidnapping around two weeks ago?
I know for a while there, it seemed like new hostages were being taken every day and it seemed like it would continue but there haven't been that many new reports on it.

I wonder if the religious leaders pleaded with them to stop the practice of hostage taking.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   

I wonder if the religious leaders pleaded with them to stop the practice of hostage taking.

One of the fundamental issues I have with this war in Iraq is that, for how much we are disgusted with the concept of suicide/homocide bombers, there has not - nor has there ever been - a public outcry from the Moslim majority.

This is in both Iraq and Israel.

There has never been a religious leader to step forward to say that he disavows the militancy of the Islamic extremists; the vast majority (appx 70%) of Moslim Palestinians view it is "acceptable" for suicide attacks to occur. Granted, I am extrapolating from information from Israel. Still, though, until there is a public outcry, it will continue to be acceptable - and even laudable - for the Iraqi's to use low-belted, "cheap" shots at the American soldiers.

top topics

join