It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Tobacco Candies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
We all know about the tobacco industries dirty tricks. Smoker or non smoker, we all agree that there's plenty of damning evidence that these big corporations haven't had the public's best interests in mind, only their own pockets.

The latest in their endeavours to addict a new generation of 'customers' is tacky at best, and meanly manipulative at worst.

Flavored strips, like breath fresheners, little tablets, like tic tacs or candies; packaged in bright, shiny plastic containers, some shaped like cell phones or other toys.

And they think we're stupid enough to believe them when they claim that these are adult products?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Who is claiming that these are products that they are persuing? All I see is a computer generated image against a white background without any copyright date.

For all I know you made this pictures.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Yea Adults buy stuff for the product not for the container. This is obviously meant for
" cool" teenage high schoolers as another cool way to do something people don't want you too.

It will just further fuel young adults curiosity, and yet they will claim some dumb BS...

I mean it is not EVIL but it is still trickery none the less and should be known by all as just that.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Smoker or non smoker, we all agree that there's plenty of damning evidence that these big corporations haven't had the public's best interests in mind, only their own pockets.

Your quote should have included the government as well. A government that made billions off investments on tobacco, then turned around and sued them for billions in dollars, and yet the problem that they sued over still exists.

Government, Tobacco companies, Lawyers are prospering off these new products. It won't be long that the government will sue the tobacco companies again over these new products and get themselves another pocket full of change.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Not to rustle anyone's feathers, but....Last time I checked, tobacco products were still legal to sell. The Tobacco industry, just as any other industry, has the right to market their product to reach the broadest audience possible. To the tobacco companies it's not a question of morally right or wrong, as morals don't pay the bills. The same could be said of alcohol products and any of the hundreds of other commercially produced products that have an ill effect on the body.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Maybe it's just me, but I looked at the three pics provided and didn't see anything that was "Bright" or resembled a cell phone or other toy. The colors are very mature in my opinion.

I am not a smoker or tobacco user of any kind, but I certainly don't think, from those pictures, that teens are the target.

Also, I'd venture a guess this wouldn't be sold next to the tic-tacs.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Is that a snipe because I didn't post links?

Ask and you shall receive, oh grasshopper.

...the newest smoke-free tobacco products — dissolvable pellets or strips that don't require users to chew or even spit. Sold in shiny plastic cases, the products melt in your mouth like breath mints.

R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company is test-marketing dissolvable products in three cities and says they are designed for adults.

Some lawmakers disagree. They call the products tobacco candy and say they are designed with one thing in mind: to get kids hooked on nicotine. They want to give the government power to restrict sales

www.time.com...

Between citywide smoking bans and skyrocketing cigarette taxes, fewer people are puffing tobacco. In an effort to outsmart these measures, smoking manufacturers are seeking new ways to hook consumers on nicotine.

For smokers who can no longer light up in public (and are too civilized to use chaw at bars), R.J. Reynolds is introducing a line of smokeless tobacco products. Maybe you'd enjoy the "Camel Orb," a tobacco pellet, or the "Camel Stick," a twisted tobacco-y toothpick. Finally, there's the "Camel Strip," a dissolving tobacco film. The products will be available in a variety of flavors and contain anywhere from around one-half to three times the nicotine delivered by a cigarette.

www.lemondrop.com...

notobacco.wordpress.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

www.babble.com... 00_.aspx

Need more?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Layla

Actually, my apologies, the article in Time actually said,

But Merkley and other critics said the packaging makes some of the products look like cell phones, while others look like breath mints. Words like "mellow" and "fresh" are prominently displayed.

which, you are right, isn't the same thing.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

Next time post the links first, oh grasshopper. 3 pics that could be produced by my next door neighbor isn't going to cut it on their own. So please keep your smart alec remarks to yourself.

If you are upset about this then I would suggest you get mad at the people who made it illegal to smoke in public. Are you upset because this company is working around that stupid law? Are you mad because they won't go bankrupt?

Tobacco is legal, deal with it.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
we teenagers arent stupid. as much as we like shiney things, anyone whose gona smoke is gona smoke regardless of how shiney the package is. those look like smoking alternatives for an adult whose quitting wrapped in a very sleek looking container. sleek for adults too

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
wasnt there studies done on the effect of taking nicotine as a suppliment, and it was found out that it was actually quite dangerous, and caused the body problems?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Actually, I wasn't being a 'smart alec', I was keeping a light tone trying to be friendly in the face of your snarky comment.

First off, this was just my opinion, not a news article. And I wasn't posting pictures of UFOs, I didn't expect to have to post links to prove this was a real item in the news, that, in fact, is all over every news agency at the moment.

There are better ways to involve yourself in this community then taking the tone that you have here. Is there any reason that you have decided that the best way to have a conversation is to be hostile?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I am having enough trouble quitting the darn cigarettes, now they come up with something new. I wonder, is this new product subject to the massive taxes?

In NY now a pack of Marlboro or Newport is $7.75, that is just crazy. I used to roll my own but now the price of the supplies and tobacco is just the same as the generic smokes so stupid addicted me is now paying a nice hefty $6 a pack for the cheapest generics i can find.

As soon as I get moved I am giving it another try, my patches and gum are all packed and waiting for the next try. I just pray that I can do it this time.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
RJR seems to have a history of promoting their products to a younger crowd. I remember when everyone was up in arms about Joe Camel, etc. To me, this is just more of the same, but also a response to the fact that it is really tough to smoke anywhere publicly anymore, most places.

Being a smoker myself, I think these new products are garbage. I tried the snus before, it was disgusting. I can only speak for myself, but when I want nicotine I would either smoke a cig or go without if my only option was a pouch of snus or a tobacco toothpick. I see where they are going with this, but I would bet these products are doomed to fail. I can't really see too many hardened smokers switching to a smokeless product due to the combo of public pressure and slick marketing.

I've thrown away every coupon for snus that I have received in the mail. I wonder who buys this crap?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

Yes there is a reason I am hostile with this subject.

Everyone cried about second hand smoke so much that you can't even go into a bar and smoke a cigarrette because the fall down drunk next to you might claim you impeding on his/her health. But did the anti smoking crowd stop there? Hell no, some wanted smoking in your car and your home illegal also. Was there an uproar about impeding on their privacy? Hell no, this was a very highly supported proposal.

Now that the cigarrette companies may have worked around these dumb ass laws we have yet more complaints.

"They look like cell phones"
"They packages are shiny"
"They look like toys"
"They look like candy"

Now that you can't use the second hand smoke is making you sick excuse, you have to resort to the what about the children mantra.

This is why I am hostile and I have a good reason to be.

FYI- I'm not a smoker.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I didn't really think JD was hostile at all...seemed very matter-of-fact to me

I am not too worried about this product myself.

-Kyo

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by KyoZero
I didn't really think JD was hostile at all...seemed very matter-of-fact to me

I am not too worried about this product myself.

-Kyo

Let her think I was hostile. Maybe she will understand my last post a little better.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
wasnt there studies done on the effect of taking nicotine as a suppliment, and it was found out that it was actually quite dangerous, and caused the body problems?

I is VERY dangerous !!!
A drop of pure Nicotine on the tongue,the size of the head of a straight pin,
would kill a person almost instantly.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Smoking is a faster way to benefit from the effects of a substance than by taking the same orally. The effect also doesn't last as long if smoked or require as much of the substance.... I think that most people that smoke do so as a form of medicating to avoid being anxious, irritable and hostile.... I would be a very dangerous person if it wasn't for cigarettes. The orally taken products are to dangerous and addictive to use, and if they are marketed to the public, people will be dropping like flies and stroking out, and having cardiac symptoms all over the place.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

You have every right to be hostile towards the subject. But towards me? For bringing the story to our attention? For presenting my opinion?

Instead of making the effort to have a conversation, you resorted to attacking me on some petty account, in order to simply be an abrasive because you didn't like the topic.

You could have simply said, in your first post, "Hey, clarify a little bit here, could you? I hear a lot of criticism about smoking legislation that I think is unfair, I'd like to make sure of the facts so we aren't spinning our wheels here." Instead, you chose a hostile tone. But I gave you the benefit of the doubt, posting the links and trying to lighten up your tone.

I wouldn't even have pointed this out except for the fact that I think it's counter to having good debate, and I'd rather not see ATS turn into a place where we can't be adult enough to talk without insulting one another.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join