It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US shows new toy to world

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

If I may,

As I see it, the main difference between old bombs of the same size is

1)New explosives are much more potent than they were in WW2
2) The bombs you mention were designed to destroy "surface" targets.
3) This weapon is designed to penetrate a hardened underground bunker, hence the common name, bunker-busters

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
reply to post by Rob37n

If I may,

As I see it, the main difference between old bombs of the same size is

1)New explosives are much more potent than they were in WW2
2) The bombs you mention were designed to destroy "surface" targets.
3) This weapon is designed to penetrate a hardened underground bunker, hence the common name, bunker-busters

Also, the Wallis bomb travelled through water and blew up to reduce structural integrity in the dams sweet spot.

The John Holmes bomb travels through concrete!!! That is a massive difference and i too, admire the technology to execute such penetration. It's a shame such brilliant minds are used for nefarious intent.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Actually, the MOP has been around for a few years. It was first tested in '07 and can be carried by B-52s now, but the 2012 deadline is associated with the Air Force's ongoing modifications to the B-2 to carry the bomb.

Article

Article 2

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I think you're missing my point, what I am saying is there is nothing new about designing a 10t concrete penetrating earthquake bomb. Barnes Wallis did it in WWII, here is 2009 the new US bomb is announced as if it was a first, yes the new bomb is more powerful, penetrates deeper (sounds like the wife's ideal man) but it's nothing new.

The Grand Slam bomb would penetrate concrete, 4.5m of heavily reinforced concrete, even deeper on ordinary ground, and it's earthquake effect was what caused the damage, please check out my original references or other material on these bombs.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
A bomb of this size capable of penetrating through that much concrete adding a warhead just adds icing to the cake. That kind of weight penetrating that deep indicates an enormous amount of kinetic energy, enough to a lot of damage without even exploding. The fact that it then explodes after the penetration is probably going to be downright devastating in a tunnel or bunker where the explosive force has less place's to go.

Now if only they'd get going on the rods from god concept, now that would be one hell of a bunker buster.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
oh super, more weapons....

Im sure im not the only one here who thinks that weapons of this scale should never be made, im not taking about householders having firearms for protection. This thing's goal is to do major annihilation.

no weapons would mean peace. #, rich politicians and criminals sure dont want that, divide and conquer.

don't worry, every civ has a rise and fall, we are going to hell faster every day, probably exponentially...peace will come after though.

excuse typos, insert copius amounts of sarcasm where you would deem fit.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The U.S. has several differnet bunker buster variants, both known and being developed under black budgets. How about a bomb that tunnels by itself? Meet "Deep Digger":

The Deep Digger Bomb

top topics

<< 1   >>

join