It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I posted this here because I feel the lack of quiet is by design. Now, a personal story.

My wife likes to sleep with the t.v. on because she is "afraid of the dark." When I wake up, the tv is on and some moron is droning on about whatever. I shut the t.v. off and my dog starts barking to go out. I let him out, he comes back in, and barks for his treat...which he gets. Then the radio goes on or someone calls or someone starts talking. This repeats until I go to bed again with the television on. Never once during the day am I able to enjoy silence.

Once, I tried to sit in a dark room and meditate, but the ringing in my ears from all the noise I'm exposed to was too much to bear.

I find all the noise very distracting.

That aside, does anyone else find they can't get a moment's peace these days?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I, like your wife feel uneasy with silence although I am going to work on it because we are being flooded with technology day and night.It is not normal.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by skoalman88

When my grandfather started to lose his hearing, he thought it was great! He got along with my grandmother better than ever!

I have been wearing foam ear plugs some of the time. My hearing is starting to go also, so I am trying to protect it all I can.

It is extremely difficult to find total silence, even in the rural areas! There are always bugs or frogs, or jets overhead, or traffic, or dogs, or kids, or waves at the beach, even trains miles away will rumble the earth beneath you! I don't think it is unnatural, because many of these sounds are natural, but I do think it affects your sleep.

A TV in the background surely interferes with your deep sleep and dreams! The variation in light and sound has to be startling you several times during the night. Talk your wife into a nightlight instead!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Meh, I hate sleeping without the TV on... I get lonely if im awake by myself. If my lady is up or I have a friend over, I dont mind the quiet, but laying down in bed with silence is just irritating to me. I'll toss and turn for hours and NEVER sleep unless I have a TV or radio on.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I have EXACTLY the same problem. Once everything gets quiet my ears ring and I don't know if they always do that or it's just the lack of noise.

I spent a week in Mexico on a church trip this year and there was no TV, cell phone, internet, etc. IT WAS AWESOME.

Even sitting here at work the friggin computer fan humming drives me crazy.

Great thread!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Even if there were no technology,or any other living thing around you,you would still hear that sound.
The frequencies of up and out there would be heard.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by gallifreyan medic

I read a couple of news stories about wind turbines that were built too close to homes and the constant noise was driving people nuts. They weren't getting any sleep and were having problems with depression, rage and anxiety.

I read this week (i will try to find it) about a herd of 400 goats that lived on a ranch under wind turbines and they couldn't sleep for months and died!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Get comfortable with the silence is to get comfortable with yourself. As for the ringing in the ears I used to use Binureal beats and some Psionics devices and I noticed especially if I went to sleep listening to it that when I would quite my mind that the sound I used to hear would be replaced by the binural beat or psionic sound weird huh?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

Here's a link to one womans woes of wind turbines.

Woman tells of turbine torment.

Also a link to a search page that may help.

Yahoo search turbine page

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I like to have doco's about 2012 or that Kymatica style movie playing or lite Drum & Bass playing b4 I go to bed.... I find it puts my mind in a calm state with space sounding journey vibes b4 sleeping and I drift off well quickly....

would suggest finding mixes or single tracks of the following for chilled sleep time music instead of TV

Klute
LTJ Bukem
PFM
FANU
Alaska DNB
Amit

Hope these help

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by skoalman88...does anyone else find they can't get a moment's peace these days?

I recently moved to a small town after having lived nearby the 401...one of North America's busiest highways, for most of my life. Now when I go back, I hear the roar, and can't believe people put up with it.

The quiet is good...

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Once city overload is too much, i find it helpful to go for few days trek in the forest. It is not much of the forest, however it is quiet and you get all the relaxing you want. If i could find a quiet lake (and only lake in my country is overcrowded always) or a descent river i guess it would be close to perfection, but being alone for few days in the nature is more then enough to charge your batteries for a rest of the year.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

You sound very accessible ....... to everyone and everything . I`d take the T.V out of your bedroom for starters , thought this may only increase the noise..... from the other side of the bed

Perhaps a Home Floatation Tank

==============================================

New technologies can help lessen the sonic impact of generating and consuming energy

Don't like the sound of lawn mowers? Call in the California firm Goats R Us, which has been providing "environmentally friendly vegetation management" since 1995. Goats R Us will keep your grass neatly clipped, and the goats themselves are a lot quieter than the motorized competition—give or take a few bleats.

===========================================

Failing that there is always .........

==========================================

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I should clarify: by silence, I mean some peace and quiet. I grew up in the city, it was always noisy. I went to the country and all I heard was sirens all night (small towns sharing police and fire). I was really concerned when my ears would not stop ringing.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   
See, I can't sleep WITH noise. How some of you sleep with the TV on is beyond me, hah!

new topics

top topics

join