It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A prehistoric complex including two 6,000-year-old tombs representing some of the earliest monuments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

A prehistoric complex including two 6,000-year-old tombs representing some of the earliest monuments built in Britain has been discovered by a team led by a Kingston University archaeologist. Dr Helen Wickstead and her colleagues were stunned and delighted to find the previously undiscovered Neolithic tombs, also known as long barrows at a site at Damerham, Hampshire.

Some artefacts, including fragments of pottery and flint and stone tools, have already been recovered and later in the summer a team of volunteers will make a systematic survey of the site, recovering and recording any artefacts that have been brought to the surface by ploughing.

Source

more...

TWO 6,000-year-old tombs have been unearthed in Hampshire in one of the biggest archaeological finds for years.

The discovery, thought to be among the oldest ever made in the UK, is set to shed new light on the life led by the county’s earliest settlers.

Flint tools and fragments of pottery have already been retrieved from the Neolithic site at Damerham in the New Forest.

The nationally important find has been made by a team of experts from Kingston University in London.

Archaeologist Dr Helen Wickstead said she and her colleagues were “stunned and delighted” when evidence of the prehistoric complex came to light.

She added: “Some artefacts have already been recovered and in the summer a team of volunteers will make a systematic survey on the site.

“If we can excavate, we’ll learn a lot more about Neolithic people in the area and discover things such as who was buried there, what kind of life they led and what the environment was like 6,000 years ago.”

Source

Theres more to beneath/underneath/behind these brits, I tell you!!

[edit on 11/6/09 by coredrill]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Fantastic- thank you for the research. I can't wait to do some of my own digging (argh- terrible pun).

Makes sense, thought- monumental architecuture was going on all over the world at that time- Egypt, China, India, Pre-Columbian MesoAmerica-

Kind of makes me lagh at Newton and Leibniz "figuring out' calculus in th 18th century. It was obviously needed-even conceptually- to create these structures.

Love thse brilliant Brits, and proud to be the daughter of that beautiful island-

Thanks again for the lead.

Cheers

join