It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Aliens supported "Religion X" would you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
So while reading a few threads on religious beliefs and Aliens I started to wonder, "If Aliens landed and said that was correct, would I convert?"

I think it's an interesting Idea. Many of us are of the belief that Alien life is of a more advanced nature than ours and that they have many of the answers that we don't. So would a statement like that above cause those that always believed in Aliens to convert en mass? Or would people still reject it because it's a religion?

What would be your answer? Covert or not?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Absolutely not unless Jesus was with the aliens.

I am a born again christian and will remain so.

I do not trust humans and sure won't trust aliens.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
If aliens came to earth and promised to tell you everything about who we are, and why we are here, run for the hills.

growth is about learning and being given shortcuts is a form of cheating, I don't think God wants you to cheat.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Religeon these days is all about believing in something that you find agreeable, me personally I follow the Pagan/Buddhist path, taking what I think are the best of both and trying to apply them into my life.
I don't sit crosslegged and meditate like other Buddhists , nor do I cast spells ( occasionally I might) or run around the forest naked hugging trees.
I try to live my life the best that I can taking what I think I need, for the Pagan part I recycle to help Mother Earth , I try to treat all life equally including the lower lifeforms ( I like squirrels and rabbits for some reason whereas others treat them like vermin, I even welcome the Sun and the Moon when I see them, but this is the UK so its not often
).
There are some religeons I don't agree with but in no way would I hurl insults at their follows or go round trying to kill them.

If EBE's came down and said " We follow X , will you do the same" , I'd have to say " let me read about where it came from and understand the message behind what is said" then I will think about taking the best of theirs and add it to my own, to try and understand different beliefs should be a fundemental cornerstone of religeous understanding, to take differences and work with them, not try to impose your beliefs onto someone else.

[edit on 11/6/09 by DataWraith]

[edit on 11/6/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by balrathamir

I do not believe that I would change my faith for any reason. I would be very interested in studying alien cultural development , and also how the differences in faith and or attitude effect interactions between different species though. But when it comes down to it, I believe in God, and regardless of the faiths which may come to light from beyond the sky, Im perfectly happy with my lot spiritualy speaking.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Well if you ask me, I think most people will change.

Simply because of this. If you look at accounts of divine intervention, and this is not just from Christian literature, it is in many cases plausible that aliens (or beings from the heavens as they where called) where the ones who gave humans advanced information.

One such example (specifically not from the Bible) is a story in Chinese history, where the Semi-gods (so called, because they where half human, half heavenly creature) ruled ancient China, and gave the Chinese the understanding of the body used in Chinese Medicine.
This knowledge is still being used today, and is accepted as the leading alternative medicine.

more here

[edit on 11-6-2009 by iulslion]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
why should i?
afterall, what if the aliens were lying??

man has got free will to either believe in god or not. so its up to the individual to convert or not. and loads of gullible folks are converting to unheard religions/cults/sects. its upto the individual.

For me, i know i wont.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I think that, if the aliens endorsed a religion, people would scream at the top of their lungs saying how bigoted the aliens are. Then they would come on ATS, make threads about how bigoted, narrow minded, ignorant, and stupid the aliens are and then proceed to try and debunk the endorsed religion.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I think the ONLY way anyone is ever going to get this whole "Religion" debate settled is to give every single person on the planet a personal time machine that allows them to go back in time invisible and witness firsthand how events really unfolded throughout history.

Or maybe if God actually came down to Earth and not as an interpretation but the actual God itself showed up on Earth and said I AM REAL! Follow ____ form of religion!

Beyond that we are absolutely wrecked in the get to the bottom of it religion department. WAY WAY WAY too many conflicting beliefs and sects to ever support a certain religion.

Aliens would have to provide some sort of evidence for their beliefs. No favorites here on Earth pal! Unless of course the Aliens came bearing the gift of Personal Time Travel. Then They might be able to provide supporting evidence for "Religion X".

CX

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
If that religion treated people like every other religion treats people...

Not a hope in hell!

CX.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
If the Aliens are into 'religion' then their advancement will be merely technological, as religion belongs to very basic and infantile stage of development, as far as I'm concerned (and I say that as someone who was raised in a strict Christian environment). In that case, I wouldn't be paying a great deal of attention to their ideas. If they propose a broad and inclusive 'spirituality', then I'd be far more impressed.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by Malcram]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Ha-ha-ha, a good one! Religion means lack of understanding of how the Universe works and if the aliens prefer worship to knowing then they wouldn't be much different from us. For example, we are much more advanced than the humans from the Bronze Age (not!) and yet we as a human species still hold on to the Bronze Age religions. Well, some of us do. Ever wonder why this planet is on a lock down from the Universe?

[edit on 11-6-2009 by tungus]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Pfft who needs religion, really?

Sure, I believe someone/ something created the universe. Call it God or the creator whatever same thing. Even though I like my science facts, I don't believe the universe just came from nothing. I don't want to hear all the mumbo jumbo that happens in between.

But that's not important to me. I just live my life as best as I can. Life has been good to me so far without religion, so why would I need a religion from man or aliens? The way I see it, religion is just a way to control the people who cant think for themselves and look for someone/ something to guide them.

Sigh, I feel sorry for the people who devote their lives to something like religion. Going to church, praying at rocks, attending conferences to hear some guy dribble about the second coming. It's a waste of time.

My guess is aliens aren't religious.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
No --

I don't think potential alien visitors would necessarily have "all the answers". They may be technologically advanced, but that doesn't mean they are philosophically advanced also.

Originally posted by tim1989

...My guess is aliens aren't religious.

Why not? Like I said, just because they possess advanced technology doesn't make them any less susceptible to faith and spirituality.

I'm not a particularly religious person either, but religion in humans seems like such a basic need (at least for human civilization as a whole). We will probably always possess this need for religion, even when we become more technologically advanced -- say in 1000 years.

I just think that it is entirely possible that alien species also posses this need.

[edit on 6/11/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
They don't support our religons, they are metaphysically psi and spiritual. Some of the Tibetan, East Indian, and New Age touches on this type of thing. But there is no definitive religion that would be promoted. If that was the case, it would be project bluebeam.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Yes, because their god(s) would be mightier than any on Earth

actually I'd be a little bummed that they believed in religious nonsense like that

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
3 terrestrial religions already have > 1 bn adherents each , i am not swayed by the personal testimony of any human devotee

why would the testimony of a few aliens sway me ???????????

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It certainly wouldn't sway me into believing in it.

However...

Whoever these aliens are, will have conquored space using highly developed, incredibly advanced technologies using an intelligence far greater than ours, which is the culmination of shared knoweldge, history and civilisation or countless millennia.

Given the past 5000 years here on Earth, we can't seem to go a few *days* without bickering and arguing about religion which invariably ends up with people dead. :/

So if these aliens have a religion, and have made it this far without destroying themselves, yeh, I'd be interested in knowing what it was about.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by noonebutme]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by tim1989
Pfft who needs religion, really?

Sure, I believe someone/ something created the universe. Call it God or the creator whatever same thing. Even though I like my science facts, I don't believe the universe just came from nothing. I don't want to hear all the mumbo jumbo that happens in between.

But that's not important to me. I just live my life as best as I can. Life has been good to me so far without religion, so why would I need a religion from man or aliens? The way I see it, religion is just a way to control the people who cant think for themselves and look for someone/ something to guide them.

Sigh, I feel sorry for the people who devote their lives to something like religion. Going to church, praying at rocks, attending conferences to hear some guy dribble about the second coming. It's a waste of time.

My guess is aliens aren't religious.

It's a fallible conjecture what you just said. If we have religion why wouldn't they? Would they not be capable of it? Why? Just because they have a big brain does not mean they don't have religion. The only reason humanity (a lot of it) shunned religion in the first place was because we bastardized the teachings. The fundamentals of even Christianity is a good message. Peace, love and understanding. Love thy neighbor. What is so awful about that? Should we not love each other? I do love all of you guys!! Even the militant arrogant people.

Too many men, too many people, making too many problems and there's not much love to go round! We live in a land of confusion. Wouldn't more love be a good thing?

[edit on 11-6-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Here's another way to look at it:

In about 1000 or 2000 years, it is possible that us humans may be technologically advanced enough to be able to visit another ET civilization (possibly one less advanced than us). I also believe that we will still have organized religion in 1000 or 2000 years.

Therefore, if us humans with our religious beliefs visits that less advanced civilization, should those aliens automatically assume our religion to be "right", just because we have space-faring technology?

They may assume we know more about religion because we are technologically advanced, but should they assume this? I don't think so.

[edit on 6/11/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join