posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:51 AM
hello heres what deffinations of the three terms are according to dictionary dot com. my thoughts on the terms follow after .
–noun 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or
agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist
–noun 1. a body of persons adhering to a particular religious faith; a religious denomination.
2. a group regarded as heretical or as deviating from a generally accepted religious tradition.
3. (in the sociology of religion) a Christian denomination characterized by insistence on strict qualifications for membership, as distinguished from
the more inclusive groups called churches.
4. any group, party, or faction united by a specific doctrine or under a doctrinal leader.
1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3. the object of such devotion.
4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5. Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction
of a charismatic leader.
7. the members of such a religion or sect.
8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that
employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.
now these definitions do not require that cristianity be the religion of refrence for the terms. they are not specific to just one religion.
id have to agree with the poster ahnggk that restriction of freewill and fredom of thought are bad things in general. sure there is plenty of things
positive about the idea of rule of law, there are negatives as well such as the fact that most laws are made by the elite and hence able to be easily
used by them to keep there station above the commoners.
but you dont need a book or church of any kind to be a good person and live a good life. particularly if the book or institution in question trys to
use negative reinforcment of its teachings and values by use of fear. fear is most likly mans oldest and most powerful of emotions and those who wish
to control others are well aware of the fact that its a exelent motivator and use it with out hesitation. you shouldent need to fear your god, i
personaly worship many gods with thanatos as my personal patron god and i cant imagine my life without him but also i cant comprehend the idea of
fearing him even though he is the god of death and seen by many as scarey.
in my mind a religion is a belife system that helps form your perception of reality with out restricting personal growth or freedom.
a sect is a off shoot of a religon that has a slightly altered way of worship then the standered version of the belife system.
and a cult is a group that is ofton but not allways small in number that restricts the free will and personal growth of its members and ofton times
requires its members to be almost slaves to the person who runs the group who usually claims some form of self divinity.
well there you have it a answer to your question from an non christian point of view. as with everything concerning spirtuality your millage may vary.