It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Hush-Up: Incoming Space Rocks Now Classified

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Military Hush-Up: Incoming Space Rocks Now Classified

www.space.com

For 15 years, scientists have benefited from data gleaned by U.S. classified satellites of natural fireball events in Earth's atmosphere – but no longer.

A recent U.S. military policy decision now explicitly states that observations by hush-hush government spacecraft of incoming bolides and fireballs are classified secret and are not to be released, SPACE.com has learned.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
What exactly would they be trying to cover up? It doesn't make any sense. Rocks fall from space and then they need to be classified as top secret.

This could be one of the many clues as to proof of life outside of the earth. I am normally not one to get into the "UFO" theories but this one is an admission of covering up "rocks" from space.

Cover up's or "top secret" classifying of things always screams fore knowledge of some thing or guilt in a previous cover up. Seems real suspicious to me.

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
They are not saying the asteroids are classified.
They are saying the satellites that detect them are.
Because they are not for that purpose.
As it states scientists have been benefiting from this data as a by product of the military satellites being there.

"It's baffling to us why this would suddenly change," said one scientist familiar with the work.

Don't be baffled, for a long time there has been no real threat.
So they allowed the scientists to use them.
Now North Korea has become a real threat, they have locked these satellites up again.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by CaptainCaveMan]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
What about other countries and their satellites? If US wants to hide something shouldn't they convince all countries to comply with the secrecy?
How much of the detection system is in US hands to beging with?
This just doesn't make any sense.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
NASA tracks all of the known Near Earth Objects and even has a program that predicts when all of the known NEO's will be coming close to home.

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

sorry having activex issues but that the link any way. Just input what ever date you wish and it will show you what big space rocks are coming by.... some of them are slightly disturbing. in 2030 theres a NEO that will come in between the earth and moon! Like a planetary field goal, awsome.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan
They are not saying the asteroids are classified.
They are saying the satellites that detect them are.
Because they are not for that purpose.

Actually, they're saying the information from the satellites is classified. And the whole point is why classify it now. I just don't buy the NK threat as a valid reason. For one, are they really a threat? But also - can they seriously launch weapons from space? I mean, for real? Because why else would information about bodies entering the earth's atmosphere possibly relate to NK?

I guess maybe there's going to be no disclosure after all. Or then again maybe it's a ploy to draw attention to the subject. After all, space.com is pretty MSM.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Most of these objects are founded by amateur astronomers anyway, or come from the direction of the suns glare so that we dont see them until there literally hitting the upper atmosphere. If the US Military truly wanted to classify Asteroids theyd have a hard time keeping amateurs quiet, are they really ignorant to not think they have access to stellar software and orbital plotting maps (even if all this is just down to satellites.)

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Maybe the satellite got hijacked by alien joy riders?

This screams cover up.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev
Actually, they're saying the information from the satellites is classified. And the whole point is why classify it now. I just don't buy the NK threat as a valid reason.

Ok ill try explain it better.
The satellites are used primarily to detect nuclear weapons and nuclear explosions.
The data from the satellites, they were filtering out and giving the space rock data to the scientists to study.
Now, since NK is being stupid, they need all resources to monitor them.
They don't want to have to filter through it, and take out the military bits and give the space bits anymore.
They have basically stopped it to save resources.
And the easiest way to do this, without to many questions being asked.
Is to say all data from these satellites is "Classified".
Because they don't have to answer anymore questions after that.
Im not saying its good, but something like this now wouldn't surprise me.
In fact I think this time something will happen with NK.
Are they a threat to me?No, but they are a threat to the US Government.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Very astute captaincaveman. Makes perfect sense.

Looks like they are taking NK seriously, for now at least.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
excuse me if i missed something but what does north korea have to do with stalites that are pointed away from the earth for observation of space and the stars? I think you are trying to steer the discussion off topic, because the real issue is that proffessional scientists are no longer alowed to use those satalites for research. in other words, anything identified or otherwise coming from outer space is not classified. THIS is weird, and completely uncalled for

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Here is my thought, and I'd like feedback from you other deep thinkers.
The logic Caveman spells out is sound, but let's carry if a bit deeper.
So two reasons stand out.

1.) These satellites are designed to detect nuclear type explosions from
both natural and man-made sources, and to distinquish between the two. So if they don't want to share that data, it might mean they are expecting a artifical event to take place and they don't want any loose lipped NASA scientist spilling the beans, that it was not really a Tunguska bolide that exploded above Isreal or the Mid-west.

2.) They are expecting a natural event of spectacular proportions very soon, and do not want any information leaking out and causing world wide panic.

There is a third option, involving the Chinese hacking our secret satellites and they feel they need to circle the wagons and impose tighter restrictions, but I doubt that option.

If something happens, and this indicates they are expecting something soon, then they want total control over the information released to the public. Not just because they are secret, but for a more complex reason.

If you listen to Ed Dames, he's convinced there will be a small nuke event in the next 4 months, once this happens there should be a tremendous amount of chatter back and forth between nations, both pre-emptive and post. Having the public aware of exactly what, and who struck is not in the best interest of global politics.

A forth options involves a pre-emptive strike by the US military using a piece of highly classified technology which may be detecable by those bright guys at NASA if they knew what to look for and where to look for it.
Having the bad guys aware we have that kind of tech, would not be good.

Thoughts?

[edit on 11-6-2009 by GriffinRD]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kevin_X1
excuse me if i missed something but what does north korea have to do with stalites that are pointed away from the earth for observation of space and the stars?

Who said anything about satellites pointed away from earth? These satellites are pointed AT earth so they can detect nuclear bomb tests, like the kind NK just did. Now that we have an active rogue nation hell bent on nuclear destruction with the bombs to do it, it makes perfect sense that we don't to waste our time trying to decide which data the scientists can have and which they can't. We're in the middle of a crisis, this would be like allowing meteorologists interested in the weather to hassle the radar systems of air traffic controllers who are in the middle of dealing with a hijacking (please don't start with 9/11 conspiracy theories, that's not what the thread is about, it's just an analogy, leave it at that).

These satellites would be useless for predicting any natural space rock disaster; they only detect the fireballs and meteors after they've hit the atmosphere.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kevin_X1
excuse me if i missed something but what does north korea have to do with stalites that are pointed away from the earth for observation of space and the stars? I think you are trying to steer the discussion off topic, because the real issue is that proffessional scientists are no longer alowed to use those satalites for research. in other words, anything identified or otherwise coming from outer space is not classified. THIS is weird, and completely uncalled for

All the satellites are pointed to Earth.

The satellites' main objectives include detecting nuclear bomb tests, and their characterizations of asteroids and lesser meteoroids as they crash through the atmosphere has been a byproduct data bonanza for scientists.
Most "shooting stars" are caused by natural space debris no larger than peas. But routinely, rocks as big as basketballs and even small cars crash into the atmosphere. Most vaporize or explode on the way in, but some reach the surface or explode above the surface. Understandably, scientists want to know about these events so they can better predict the risk here on Earth.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I don't care what kind of logic that people apply to this situation, it still seems awfull fishey. We have plenty of satellites that are military only. I do think that they are covering or preparing to cover something up. Be it E.T., astrological, or false flag, something is going on to have such a change in policy.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GriffinRD

Your first option is the most logical one as well as the most mundane. I would probably go with that one. However my CT side is screaming option 4. Space-based first strike anyone?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd
reply to post by GriffinRD

Your first option is the most logical one as well as the most mundane. I would probably go with that one. However my CT side is screaming option 4. Space-based first strike anyone?

Actually, I think of option 1 as more CT based, involving a 9/11 style coverup. Option 4 is just common sense. If we have a highly advanced piece of technology which would fizzle any artifical nuclear attack, yet would leave a ping back to the source, it would not be in our best interest to make that self evident. For the same reason we did not use F-17 stealth fighter in Libya before it was generally known we had them.

It could be either space based on land based. Since the satellites that have gone black, are pointed towards the planet, my money's on this shield technology being land based.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by GriffinRD]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Just adding to this thread what i posted in the other thread.

This small snippet says it all for me.

Scientists say not only will research into the threat from space be hampered, but public understanding of sometimes dramatic sky explosions will be diminished, perhaps leading to hype and fear of the unknown.

www.foxnews.com...

Maybe they want people to be scared.
Or something big is heading our way and they dont want panic.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The data that is being restricted is to do with the detection of fireballs/bolides, and is obtained during the event itself, so it can't be used to forecast incoming rocks.

The DOD satellites that detect these events are tasked with detecting nuclear detonations, but are also capable of detecting explosions created by meteoroids/asteroids entering our atmosphere, when they are powerful enough.

The US DOD/USAF have always been very coy about releasing this data, and have only done so in exceptional cases in the past, the reason being that they do not want to reveal the sensitivity of the instrument on the satellite, which is a closely guarded secret.

Here is a link to previous reports for anyone that would like to see them.

This was a stupid move by the military IMO since the data produced by these reports is valuable to science, and the move will also fuel conspiracies/conspiracy theorists who haven't bothered to research the subject. As long as they set an "energy threshold" below which events were not reported, no sensitive data or secrets would be revealed. I think the most plausible explanation for this move is the onset of a new "cold war" era, and you'd expect security to be tightened up in a time like this IMO.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Unless the secrets they are trying to protect are coming in the form of objects froms space. This is a viable theory. The thought of panic across the globe could be what is inspiring this move.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join