It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recycled radioactive metal contaminates consumer products

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Recycled radioactive metal contaminates consumer products

Thousands of everyday products and materials containing radioactive metals are surfacing across the United States and around the world.
Common kitchen cheese graters, reclining chairs, women's handbags and tableware manufactured with contaminated metals have been identified, some after having been in circulation for as long as a decade. So have fencing wire and fence posts, shovel blades, elevator buttons, airline parts and steel used in construction.
A Scripps Howard News Service investigation has found that -- because of haphazard screening, an absence of oversight and substantial disincentives for businesses to report contamination -- no one knows how many tainted goods are in circulation in the United States.
But thousands of consumer goods and millions of pounds of unfinished metal and its byproducts have been found to contain low levels of radiation, and experts think the true amount could be much higher, perhaps by a factor of 10.
Government records of cases of contamination, obtained through state and federal Freedom of Information Act requests, illustrate the problem...
www.scrippsnews.com...
Seen this and wanted to post it for everyone here. Thanks ATS!
P.S. I wont rant about downwinders or cancer, but I sure could!
With links too of course! Thanks for the replies, flags and stars!

[edit on 11-6-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
A geiger counter as part of a cell phone should be available.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Electricneo

Ya know....
I was just thinking about those little geiger counters again.
Would go nicely with my shoes! (kidding)
not

Seriously though, good idea!
We were just talking about cancer too on another thread!

I have posted proof of radiation poisoning incidences before also.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Radioactive wasps bug out nuclear cleanup workers

Today, the nests, which could number in the thousands, are "fairly highly contaminated" with radioactive isotopes, such as cesium and cobalt, but don't pose a significant threat to workers digging them up.

www.seattlepi.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Frightening how much crap is getting into our food supply.

And they want to radiate the food when the pot and the kettle already are?

Here is another article...

Under special government permits, "decontaminated" radioactive metal is being sold to manufacture everything from knives and forks and belt buckles to zippers, eyeglasses, dental fillings and IUDS.

The Department of Energy (DOE), the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and the radioactive metal processing industry are pushing for new regulations that would relax current standards and dispense with the need for special radioactive recycling licensing.

By one estimate, the DOE disposed of 7,500 tons of these troublesome metals in 1996 alone. The new standard being sought would allow companies to recycle millions of tons of low-level radioactive metal a year while raising the acceptable levels of millirems (mrems), a unit of measure that estimates the damage radiation does to human tissue.

By the NRC's own estimate, the proposed standards could cause 100,000 cancer fatalities in the United States alone. While the DOE waits for new standards to be released, "hot metal" is being marketed to other countries.

www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...

My question is does the radioativity of a dirty nuke have a different signature then a cheeze grater?

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
We have made such a terrible, horrible waste of the earth our mother.

Makes me sad and I need to do more to help the earth and our shared environment.

President Reagan said that if we face an alien threat all of humanity would come together to fight it.

It seems the alien threat is we to ourselves. How can we win that one?

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

Hi! Thank you for that! All I can say is what are we doing. Seriously.
Um, I looked up some stuff to answer your question with.

It is extremely important to differentiate a dirty bomb from an atomic bomb. Although dirty bombs do contain nuclear material, they are in no way as powerful or as devastating as a nuclear bomb. In fact, the explosives in a dirty bomb would be far more dangerous than the radioactive material, with most scenarios attributing the bulk of casualties to people in close proximity to the explosion, rather than to radiation damage. While a dirty bomb is certainly nothing to treat lightly, the threat of a nuclear bomb is far more severe
www.wisegeek.com...
A geiger counter measures radioactivity.
I'm definately no nuclear physicist but radiation is radiation.
It is the level(and length)of exposure that gets ya.
Whether its in a microwave oven or the water.....
Strictly in my opinion of course, but I have done alot of reading.
Thank you agin Whiteraven!

top topics

join