It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2009 attacks on Indian students in Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
The Indian community in Australia is about half a million. The Indian students are attacked in Australian cities and there is racial tension in the ethnicity of Australia. About 80000 Indian students study in Australia every year.

These hate crimes have to be condemned. It is a shame

In 2009, a series of violent attacks on and robberies of Indian students and retaliatory attacks and confrontations occurred in Melbourne, Australia. Some commentators ascribed a racial aspect to the attacks,[1][2][3][4] while others described them as largely opportunistic crimes. Multiple subsequent incidences of confrontation between people of Indian and Lebanese descent led to the incidents also being described as "racial violence"[5] and "ethnic tensions".[5][6]

Police stated that while they considered some of the attacks may have been racially motivated, they are more likely part of a broader issue of escalating street violence in Australia.[7] The assaults have received international attention, with the government of India making formal protests to the Australian government. The Chinese government subsequently issued statements that some Chinese students had also been victimised and requesting the Australian government to ensure security

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Multiple subsequent incidences of confrontation between people of Indian and Lebanese descent led to the incidents also being described as "racial violence"[5] and "ethnic tensions".[5][6]

Let that fact be known...

It is not us "racist" whites in Asutralia attacking these indian students, it is the lebanese who are responsible for this.

Indians, Sudanese, Muslims & Lebanese are the "minority" in this country, yet they have much higher incidents of race related violence, murders, muggings, etc then us murderous racist whites here in Oz

[edit on 11-6-2009 by SkitzoFrenic]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Violence is violence.
They need to stop making race an issue.
Because someone hurts someone who's an Indian, doesn't mean they wouldn't do it to a Chinese, White person, Eskimo etc etc.
Stop trying to call it a "Hate" crime.
If I punch you in the face and I like you, what is that?A "Like Crime"?
Violence is violence, end of story.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

Violence is violence, end of story

CaptainCaveMan you are from Australia. These confrotations and incidents, how much is the street violence in Australia? and what is the concern of the ethnic minorities there?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SkitzoFrenic

Maybe so, but I would like to point out that there is good in these minority communities as well. Singling out certain 'collectives' serves no purpose and is just as bad as the original racial crimes this thread is focusing on. Those responsible for hate crimes are individuals, just as the victims are individuals. Grouping people as this or that is wrong, whether it's you, or the media, or so and so down the street.

FYI I married into a Lebanese family, and they are some of the best, most down to earth people I've ever known. My wife's Leb, my daughters half-Leb, and I'm a bit of a Leb at heart. So mate, don't go down that road unless you're prepared to recognize the good with the bad.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
This sounds exactly what started the Cronulla riots. racist attacks by a group
bound by their own beliefs,they start off slanging to the group the are targeting when the other group returns slander back the instigators take that as a threat to fight .

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Any attacks are concerning, regardless of ethnicity. As an Australian who has been observing this with some interest I'm perplexed that so far there seems to been (publicly admitted at least) no genuine investigation into isolating agitators in either of the ethnic parties responsible for the organisation of attacks, protests etc. These events are not randomly occurring as the result of some white Australian hatred of Indians, as mentioned previously this is occurring between Lebanese and Indian minorities in Melbourne, and appear to be well organised.

Also of concern is the manner in which these incidents seem to have been hijacked by govts, MSM and other parties for as yet unseen agendas, eg discussion seems to be around "concern" and "disgust" but nobody seems to be offering any real solution to the issue, in the meantime the only police action seems to be containment of specific incidents as they occur..... could be my natural cyncism creeping in but there appears to be something amiss in the handling of these events that may bear greater ramifications for the future.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by patentpending

Well put, "ah no more to say' you said it all

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Evasius

I'm not saying "all lebs" but in this instance yes, they are the culprits.

The media so loves to push out how racist Asutralia is, and the general conception is that it is the white Australians who are the racists.

As in quote, it is not just or always us.

I admit there are many whites who are far worse than some lebs,muslims or even sudanese.

Was simply pointing out the fact that this time "we" can't be blamed, yet I have a feeling we still will be blamed for this.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I Live right next door to Harris Park to where the Sydney aspect of this story has taken place, i have friends from all ethnicities, we have spoken and to my conclusion.... the Media has blown this right out of proportion.
Should we change laws to protect minorities, or should they fall into a catagory of laws that we should all fall under? ah hum, NO!

Whites get attacked here too. It doesnt matter the colour here, its the situation that causes attacks.

[edit on 11/6/2009 by scubagravy]

top topics

join