It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Convince me, Please.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I can recommend a book on Theoretical Physics to anyone who would like an insight of how God fits into the picture when your coming from a Scientific point of view. Its called "The Unknown Spirit" by Jean Charon.

The biggest conspiracy still out there, is the cover up of evidence for the existence of God.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

This guy needs more STARS!!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

"Cogito, ergo sum" (Usually translated in English as: "I think, therefore I am", but can be less ambiguously translated as "I am thinking, therefore I exist" or "I am thinking, on the account of being"), sometimes misquoted as Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum (English: "I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am"),[1] is a philosophical statement in Latin used by René Descartes, which became a foundational element of Western philosophy. The simple meaning of the phrase is that if someone is wondering whether or not he exists, that is in and of itself proof that he does exist (because, at the very least, there is an "I" who is doing the thinking)

When you equate yourself with your physical body, you are limited to it.

Saint Augustine's words remain true: "The world as it appears to us is made of things which do not appear to us".

Tailhard da Chardin commented that "having reached the extreme of their analysis, physicists clearly do not know if the structure they reach is the essence of the matter they are studying or the reflection of their own thinking".

Thought exists everywhere in mineral, vegetable or animal substances as well as in Man.

Something did the thinking, before you where here.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by iulslion]

[edit on 11-6-2009 by iulslion]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You talk about how people of science are so arrogant, reread your own posts and tell me that isn't arrogance.

Just because 90% of the population believes in a higher being (and the number is falling faster and faster everyday I'm sure) means that those 90% are correct. 90% of the population believed the world was flat at one point, and they ended up being wrong.

Check out this thread for more information:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ketzer22

Neither does that mean they are wrong. But you are correct in that the whole world can agree on something and it still not be true.
Don't you just love people who abuse Argumentum ad populum as if it proves anything?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
STOP listening to religious, science jargon.
You dont have to subscribe to any word that describes a certain belief.

Look at this from a different perspective, perhaps Ill start with science.
We still don't know entirely how the brain works and we still know nothing of the several unknown dimensions of string theory. What if they are related?

The power of the mind is what Im talking about.

Now I know what you mean, I spent years of my life calling myself an athiest but what is the point of closing your mind to any possibilities?

Im only 19 and I have experienced so much, Ive hung out with the different crowds, from junkies to church communities. I've met a lot of different people from different religions, doing different degrees.

You are the type that stands in the middle, you don't have the need to believe in any god so therefore believe in the outcome!

You ask 'what if they're right?' well why dont you start asking, 'what if they MADE it right?'

Millions of people throughout history entertaining the same concept of the 'WORD' of god. I don't think Self-fulfilling prophecy is far off.

The answer is you don't need to be convinced, I've realised now that I cannot be right my entire life, infact I will never be 'right'. However I will keep learning all I can and make the effort to become wiser.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by JRSB]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ANSD9

I think I speak for everyone that reads that post when I say. Huh?????

[edit on 11-6-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I believe on God for many reasons. The one which is the most observable is this: intellectually, I cannot accept evolution as our origins without God. There are far too many flaws and holes. Creation without a higher power is, of course, dumb. Utterly, utterly dumb.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

If I came to you and said that I was God after the scoffing and disbelief you would immediately ask for proof. Of course you would. And not just any proof but proof on a grand scale. Proof like levitation or walking on water. No normal person in his or her right mind would accept anything less than indisputable proof from a person who claims to be God.

Why should it be any different with God?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
reply to post by ANSD9

I think I speak for everyone that reads that post when I say. Huh?????

[edit on 11-6-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

Yes, most defiantly

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Eight

Um, I hate to tell you. Nothing is indesputable. Especially the acts you just described, could be done with technology you know.....

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchtheashes
reply to post by Psychonaughty

Time does not apply.

God exists outside of time. He had no beginning. He is the Beginning and the End. He is the only One who could tell the end from the beginning. That is why prophecy is important especially to today's "I seek absolute proof generation." The people who don't want to accept it take it as the powers that be are fulfilling prophecies on purpose!!! They are Satanists. Why can't the simple explanation work? God would be the simplest explanation for all this.

To be honest.
If your willing to accept that God is timeless and live outside of the plane of time. Well, then it has to be just as plausibly acceptable to say that Space is timeless, that there has simply always been "something" here. That the basic quarks and sub particles that make the smallest building blocks to the universe are in fact, simply infinite.
For they create everything just as god does. God is simply a step behind them, an idea to answer where they came from. Yet it becomes acceptable then to end the chain at god?
Why does there need to be another step? It seems so unecessary, if god can be inifinite then so can they and with this, God fades away.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by MrGummyPants

That the basic quarks and sub particles that make the smallest building blocks to the universe are in fact, simply infinite.

Or follow some sort of cycle of birth/death/rebirth *basically a cyclic thing*..... Rather like nature.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Sorry, this made me laugh. Although the jist of what your getting it is valid, you do not ask the right questions.

Thanks for being so kind as not to make fun of my questions as I am aware certain individuals would be very knowledgeable about science disciplines like chemistry and physics. And I agree that I was not asking the right questions, but glad you understood what I was getting at.

The problem I find with your answers is they are "self-evident" type answers. Yes, water is created by combusting hydrogen gas and oxygen (H20). But this does not answer where hydrogen or oxygen come from.

I'll give you an example of what I'm trying to say:

We know that Grey (Gray) is made from mixing black and white. I'm sure you can explain the chemical properties of both black and white and how they mix to make grey. But where does black come from and where does white come from?

[edit on 12/6/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Sorry missed this post. Yea, I think that is largely what *coupled with existential questions* it is about via symbology.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by Eight

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

This is one of those specious falsehoods that is endlessly repeated on ATS. Absence of evidence is evidence of absence, especially when so many people, over so many millennia, have sought for evidence and found none.

There is no evidence for God. It is the Unnecessary Hypothesis.

I admit that this term is way overused as people are too lazy to elaborate on own their views when they disagree with something. However, it actually is a valid argument. Maybe not in the context of the discussion of a deity, but it certainly holds up in most cases.

Try and think of it this way: does courage exist? How do you measure or monitor courage? Does it have a specific attribute that allows you to recognise it? Courage refers to an abstract idea that cannot be explained directly with our current senses. Can you actually prove to somebody that you "have courage"? Sure, you can say 'that woman displayed courage" or she is a "courageous woman" but this still does not directly define what courage is.

[edit on 12/6/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Eight

If I came to you and said that I was God after the scoffing and disbelief you would immediately ask for proof. Of course you would. And not just any proof but proof on a grand scale. Proof like levitation or walking on water. No normal person in his or her right mind would accept anything less than indisputable proof from a person who claims to be God. Why should it be any different with God?

Yes!!!! Thank you for this point and you are entirely correct.

So what have you done about this? Have you searched for God, meditated, read, sought, go within, self inquire, spend years to find out if God is so??? Or is it merely a speculated conclusion after some armchair intellectual wrestling?

I was an atheist, then found that to be silly since I had no way to know. Then agnostic. Then I sought God through all the aforementioned ways and found God.

So now for myself there is no longer any faith in God, but knowing 100% through daily direct experience that there is a God. I asked for proof and God gave me proof of him/her/itself through direct experience of its reality everywhere. I need no more.

Oh how I wish you would have read my rather lengthy reply on page 4 and comment on it. I have touched on things there that nobody else has brought up and would answer many science + God connected questions for you.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by dominicus]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I'll tell you how you can know for sure. You will believe. But believing isn't enough unfortunately.

James 2:19 19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Demons know full well and we know what they are all about.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

It's all about wanting to really find out. Regardless of what your preconceptions are. I can let you know how to go about this.

Habakkuk 1:5 Behold ye among the heathen, and regard, and wonder marvelously: for I will work a work in your days, which ye will not believe, though it be told you.

Do you really need convincing?

Luke 22:67 67 Art thou the Christ? tell us. And he said unto them, If I tell you, ye will not believe:

[edit on 12-6-2009 by jackflap]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join