It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to keep your butt Alive

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
None of us are 100% sure exactly what form the Doomsday Scenario will take when it happens, you can bet we're all going to be in big trouble. Food will become scarce, banks and grocery stores will be locked down. There will be riots in the streets, Martial Law enforcement at every street corner. Your money will be worth crap. Anxiety will overwhelm us and the fear of dying will increase. When the world goes to Hell we can either follow it or take steps to prepare. We will be past all the economic bubble bursts so not to worry about that anymore. Crime will be rampant, Chaos everywhere.

I’m not a Pro. It is beneficial to buy an Army survival manual or Boy Scout handbook, as many survival books as you can afford. You may need to live off the land with your bare hands. I would also advice buying eatable plant books with illustrations. Look online for easy home remedies. Apple Cider vinegar is a good one, as is Aloe Vera juice or plant. I welcome some help here from others who know the ropes and can offer assistance. I have a lot to learn, as well!

Instructions

Do not panic! Number 1 rule. Psychological preparedness is critical if you want to keep your Ass alive.

Avoid destruction. Get out of any major City regardless if the apocalypse is brought on by God, G20, Aliens, Terrorists or Bilerbergs, get out!

Leave your laptop and cell phones home they can be tracked by GPS, also new tires have RFID chips embedded in the sidewalls. They only ask your name for the warranty.

Find an alternate shelter, a cave, RV, Camper, 4 season tent or make your own with tarps and tie downs. Buy a spare tarp. You can also learn to make a Teepee or lean-to shelter.

Get fit, carrying aunt Edna on a stretcher may be necessary.

Those who don’t own guns buy a Bow and LOTS of arrows, slingshots, with extra bands, baseball bat, mace, stun gun, whatever you can afford for protection against crime and to hunt small game. Fishing accessories will be handy.

Lighting, get a wind up solar flashlight for 25 .00, candles, multi fuel lanterns, waterproof matches or make your own by dipping in wax.

Cooking, use a multi fuel camp stove or use fire. Make pots using coffee cans with wire handles, fire starters are inexpensive and can easily be broken for several uses, many BIC lighters, the cheap ones wont hold up, lots of matches, build a tripod to hang your pots over the fire.

Heat, put a candle in a small can it will emit warmth, or buy hand warmers

Avoid hypothermia and heat stroke, dress in layers, add or remove them as necessary, always carry extra socks and extra pair of hiking boots.

Money, in the event money still has value carry small bills and change. A few bars of silver is inexpensive and can bribe the border guards or be used to barter.

Bartering, this may be dangerous. You don’t want anyone to know what you have. If you must barter some handy items are, (dollar store items), bar soap, deodorant, twine, rope, razors, hair brush, mirror, hand sanitizer, bags of hard candy,etc. It’s funny the things you will miss when you don’t have them.

I do need some expert help here Anyone??

Some helpful survival links;
www.wilderness-survival.net...
www.wilderness-survival-skills.com...
www.the-ultralight-site.com...

First aid Emergency links;
www.bcadventure.com...
www.equipped.com...
kidshealth.org...

Edible plant links;
www.naturephoto-cz.com...
www.dmoz.org...
www.shireofrockwall.org...

Medicinal plant links;
www.bio.brandeis.edu...
www.cartage.org.lb...
www.orissafdc.com...

Other helpful links;

First 100 items to disappear from store shelves in Emergency link; www.survival-spot.com...

Food link; www.baproducts.com...

Baby link; www.campingandoutdoor.org...

Psychological link; www.wilderness-survival.net...

Psychological food link; www.scribd.com...

Survival Boredom and Frustration link; dsc.discovery.com...

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6/10/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Learn to set traps for small game.
If possible, get a small caliber rifle. Good for hunting small game, as well as deer. (Poachers use them because of the low report. But you'll have to track longer. It can take a while for a deer to bleed out.)
Get a shotgun if you can, with different types of shot, from bird to buck. And don't forget the slugs.
I like the idea of including a bow in you equipment. I am doing the same, but I am using a stick bow (55# recurve). My reason for that, instead of a compound is simple. A compound can be complicated. A stick bow is easy. You string it, you shoot it. Take extra strings.
Arrows. Get as many as you can. Learn how to re-fletch them.
One more thing I would suggest is a cross-bow. The one I have is an old Whammo, that I got off a guy about 35 years ago. I've taken a rabbit or two, and it has enough power to bring down a deer.
You don't mention knives. I suggest you have several. As well as a machete and an axe.
You can't prepare for every contingency, but stock up on food, keep at least part of it where you can grab it and throw it in your vehicle. I'd keep some in the vehicle any way.
You've got the right idea. Get lots of survival books, read them, keep them available. Put them in you BOB.
But there is one thing you must do now, before it hits the fan. Practice. Can you make a snare? Can you build a fire without matches or a lighter?
Do you know how to put together an emergency shelter, in case you don't have a tent.
There are so many things we have to learn, and we have to learn them quickly.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Yes I forgot a Swiss Army knife, manual can opener, duct tape, mylar heat blankets, bug net, flint, knife sharpener and more. I'd need to dump my 5 bug out bags to see what I forgot.

That is why people should go to the links , copy and print all info, like making a shelter or colld weather survival, etc. Those hand rocket sling shots are powerful.

Most of us have guns and ammo and many are anti-gun. I'll bet they change their minds if SHTF and the have children to protect.

Another trick is to play like you are starving and ask others for food, if we cross their path. We dont want them to take what we have.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
top ten

water
water
water
water
water
water
water
water
water
water filter

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

Among the knives, I would suggest a Leatherman pocket tool, in place of a Swiss army knife. Get the biggest one you can afford. It will have every thing you need on it in one place, and it can give you more torque when you need it. And when I say Letherman, that's what I mean. Stay away fromt the cheap shot knockoffs. The knife steel is poor quality and the wire cutters never cut wire.
I use a fire steel, and dryer lint for tender. I also have some magnesium blocks for damp weather.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
another key to find people you can trust and stay together. try to find land with cover to make a small compound for safty where you can have roving guards in 12 hour shifts that way there is always security. try to find equipment such as wreckers, dozer, things where if you need to move things or plow things out of your way. also a large fuel supply and generators.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Water is essential to survival. I guess there are several different methods to steralize water. what is best?

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld
Find an alternate shelter, a cave, RV, Camper, 4 season tent or make your own with tarps and tie downs. Buy a spare tarp. You can also learn to make a Teepee or lean-to shelter.

I would advise also keeping it completely out of sight of anyone who may potentially wander by, as well as from the air if possible. It may sound paranoid but in a situation like this all it takes is one chopper to roll by overhead with a thermal cam, spot you, and report you to authorities, if they ever decide they want to round up all the people fleeing society to put them in camps or whatever they will.

Cooking, use a multi fuel camp stove or use fire. Make pots using coffee cans with wire handles, fire starters are inexpensive and can easily be broken for several uses, many BIC lighters, the cheap ones wont hold up, lots of matches, build a tripod to hang your pots over the fire.

I would also recommend gradually getting your body adjusted to more raw foods, especially raw vegetation. Once your body adapts to more fibrous foods like this (your bio-chemistry will change), they are much more natural and healthier for you anyway than restaurant-type food. And they don't require cooking, which could give away your position with smoke and heat. Drinking water should be boiled if possible (unless you are absolutely confident in the source, high in the mountains or etc. -- chemical contaminates like fluoride are never removed by boiling anyway) but other than that only meats should be absolutely necessary to cook for some people but naturally our bodies can maintain great health with very little meat.

Originally posted by emsed1
top ten

water
water
water
water
water
water
water
water
water
water filter

Agreed. Look up where naturally-occurring water is in your area on Google map satellite imagery. Like-minded people will flock to those places when SHTF, and also tons of small local streams. It will be hard for many people to find a good, reliable source of water that will be otherwise undisturbed.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
How many of us are really prepared for Survival? sure we'll run to the hills when and if something happens, but most all of us. (Talking about us who are aware something might and is going to happen in the near future) only have the plans in our head. We sat and thought about what we'll do, maybe we even Purchased the survival books, but i think that's about it.

My plans involve money, Buying land and setting up a farm style community for no more than 10-15 people. But these ideas involve buying land and that means cash or debt. The latter you don't want and the former I don’t have.

I got $3,000 in savings, my Cosco card (For bulk Purchases) and a getaway Truck. A quick stop at the shop for long life supplies and camping gear. And I’m on the way to No where. Unless I get a windfall and can afford a piece of land in the near Future.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Well feel sorry for us in the UK, we're rammed together like sardines in a tin. We're not even allowed guns

As soon as hauliers go bankrupt and supply lines get squeezed, i will buy as much tinned stuff with money i have left.

As soon as police knock on doors with a needle in one hand and tazer in the other, then that is d-day for me. We have the luxury of seeing TSHTF in USA first, so we'll have a weeks/months preparation.

Eye balling ATS posts, gives another few weeks warning

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I'm also sure it will HTF here in the U.S first. But i don't think you will be too far behind-All you need is a plan and a few days Notice and you good to go.

You can always go live with the Irish !

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The OP has put together some very useful information in his post. And the others have had some good input, too. Ex-military will be able to help with info, too. Picking up medical supplies is a must, as well as learning first aid. Secure shelter is a must. You must also decide if you need weapons, and how much ammo you'll need for them. Just make sure that they are all LEGALLY acquired. That is imperative.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Thanks i have never heard of a Leatherman pocket tool but will look online for one.

You have an excellent point. It's less expensive in the long run to buy quality, especially when your life depends upon it.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by texasoutlaw

About the fuel supply. Remember to buy some Pri-G or Pri-D for diesal fuel. One quart will preserve 600 gallons?? for the price of 26 bucks.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SharkBait
I'm also sure it will HTF here in the U.S first. But i don't think you will be too far behind-All you need is a plan and a few days Notice and you good to go.

You can always go live with the Irish !

That is funny that the US may be first but maybe not check this link out. Kind of weird to think about isnt it?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Dont forget your duct tape. I have plenty.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

Get out of the big cities? Where do you propose all of these tens of millions of people go? Do you think there are that many caves to house them? No, they are going to go out to the country to squat of some poor farmer's land, thinking they can shoot the game and plow up a garden. The farmer is going to shoot them. At least that farmer won't go hungry -- secret's in the sauce, don't you know. LOL

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mjfromga

You have a point and I also wondered the same thing. How can millions pack up and leave the cities. The sad reality of all this is that only a few thousand people have any type of survival plan.

Most wish to ignor the facts, many think it's to gloomy to discuss, many dont have a CLUE that anything is wrong.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Think of the hurricanes -- clogged roads, lack of fueling stations. In a real regional or nation-wide emergency, people will frantically get in their cars with about a day's worth of food, and try to race out of town before the SHTF and the roads are congested. Their plan may be to make it to Nebraska, Indiana, or some other unpopulated area. Unfortunately, the roads will be congested, their fuel will last only as far as their gas tank level will get them, and they will be stuck in their cars in the elements.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mjfromga

I agree when SHTF there will be public panic, riots, theft, people cramming the highways to get out. That's why Obama already has Homeland Security in full force; however he says it's because of the Swine flu.

For those who dont leave the city I suggest buying a gun for protection. Many city people have 3 months of long term food storage. The more prepared they are the less of a nighmare it will be to stay put in your home and the less dependant on the government they will be.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SharkBait
My plans involve money, Buying land and setting up a farm style community for no more than 10-15 people. But these ideas involve buying land and that means cash or debt. The latter you don't want and the former I don’t have.

How did you think law enforcement would respond to that in a martial law situation?

Not the debt I mean, but the fact that you've set up a community where 10-15 people are living in isolation.

[edit on 14-6-2009 by bsbray11]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join