It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teleportation Takes Another Step?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2003 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I'm not a scientific expert and don't pretend to know about teleportation experimentation, but found this article interesting. Can anyone shed some more light on it?

Jan. 31 � From an idea that was only considered practicable 10 years ago, scientists say they have succeeded in teleporting laser photons over two kilometers (1.25 miles), the biggest distance yet achieved. In science fiction, teleportation entails taking someone and creating a replica of him or her a long distance away, and destroying the original. It remained confined to pulp literature until a decade ago. The perceived barrier to it was something called the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. This principle states that the more accurately you try to scan or measure an atom or other object in order to teleport it, the more you disrupt its original quantum state, and so you cannot create a true replica.

Things changed in 1993 with a landmark paper by a team led by an IBM scientist, Charles Bennett, who thought up a way of getting around this problem using photons, or particles of light, as the object to be transported.

Their answer was to exploit something called "quantum entanglement," in which a laser beam is squeezed and split in such a way that it creates two particles of light at the same time.

Particles created in this exotic process behave like psychic twins. Even if they are far apart, a disturbance to one particle affects the other, a phenomenon once dubbed "spooky interaction" by Einstein.

The first concrete results from this idea began emerging in 1997, with a couple of labs in Europe and the United States transporting a small unit of information, called a quantum bit (qubit), a distance of about one meter (3.25 feet).

But, in a study reported Thursday in the British weekly journal Nature, scientists at the University of Geneva, Switzerland, and the University of Aarhus, Denmark, have teleported data to another lab 55 meters (178 feet) away through a 2-kilometer (1.25-mile) roll of standard fibre-optic cable.

Link - www.prophezine.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 04:30 AM
link   
One question remains.

What with the soul ?

Teleportation can work with the matter, but the soul is not made with matter.

Of course, we can think that we'll have the so-called " astral travell effect ". You move the body, and the soul follow the body.

But I don't want to be the one who'll be the first teleported guy !

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Ultra,

When you use quantum teleportation, everything get's destroyed during the preocess and remade at the other end. It's not a simlpe transportation of matter from point a to point b. So, it's safe to say the "astral travel effect" wouldn't be much use, as the ORIGINAL body being inhabited by the 'supposed' sould, get's destroyed in the begining of the process. How would the soul, seeing it's original body, know it's being remade 100 mile's away from it? I think this is proof of concept, that there is no soul.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Look e-nonymous, billion of peoples on earth are believing in the soul. So, we have to count with this.

If you tell to the peoples that they have no soul and they don't have to be afraid, be sure that almost nobody will use this so-called teleportation system.

Because someone who believe in the soul will think that he will die. I believe that I've a soul and I want to know what will happen to my soul if I use this system.

For you, it's sound stupid, but not for me and not for many many peoples on earth. So, the scientists have or will have to find an answer to this question.

For me, what's sound stupid, it's a body who has no soul.

I hope that you understand.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Ultra,

I do understand the cause for concern. But a scientist only has to answer problem's and issue's that can actually produce answer's. Scientist's to date, still have not found surmounting evidence on the existance of a soul. What happen's when religous people see millions of non-religous people using teleportation on a daily basis to make life easier for them.... and survive and lead happy live's as a result? Would there still be need for fear?

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I understand you, but you don't understand me.

I will not use any teleportation system until I'm not sure for my soul ( for you, I know, I have to write my so-called soul ).

It's an important parameter, because it's an emotional parameter and I'm sad that you don't understand it.

You can come with tons of tons of arguments if you want,it will change nothing, because it's an emotional parameter. You don't understand because you never worked like a commercial adviser, me I did it.

And emotionals parameters are the most important parameters. You can say what you want to the peoples, if you don't reach their emotions, you'll " lose ", they will not believe you. How do you want to compare a religious problem, who's emotional, with a scientific problem, who's rational ? Anyway, I'm not sure that all the scientists are all rational.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Beam me up Scotty!

Oh s**t! You forgot my soul! Bah, I'll just buy another one off E-Bay.

Ultra... your soul is not really yours. It is God's. If you lose your body, God still has possession of your soul... so no harm done. I'd be more worried about my brain being attached to the outside of my head.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Protector

Ultra... your soul is not really yours. It is God's. If you lose your body, God still has possession of your soul... so no harm done. I'd be more worried about my brain being attached to the outside of my head.

Very funny Protector.

But if your soul stay on the point A (or go somewhere esle) and don't go to the point B with your body, you will not have to care for your brain.

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Ultra,

Then, it look's like the only way you'd use such a system, would be if a religous person does it first, without *any* problem's. Then again ... What if all religous people thought like that too?

Oh ... OFFTOPIC: I think I've found a simple solution to routing quantum encrypted transmissions... wanna do more research on it first though!

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by e-nonymous
Ultra,

1) Then, it look's like the only way you'd use such a system, would be if a religous person does it first, without *any* problem's. Then again ... What if all religous people thought like that too?

2) Oh ... OFFTOPIC: I think I've found a simple solution to routing quantum encrypted transmissions... wanna do more research on it first though!

1) Noway ! First,I want to know what for my soul. I don't mind if a religious do it without any problem. I want just a clear answer.

2) Send a mail to the Australian team.

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Ultra,

1)Wish I was the one able to provide that answer.

2)Mail them and let them take all the glory? It's half based on their laser teleportation scheme ... Let them figure it out! lol

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I got an idea :-)
Lets use Saddam as our test monkey. This way if his soul stays on point A ,God can deal with that part of him and then at point B we can have some fun with the rest of him :-) Double the fun :-)

Shoot, I forgot!!! Saddam has no soul, his was bought and paid for by the Satan himself :-)

I beleive we all have a soul and I sure the hell would not want to be even one of the first few thousand to step into this thing. However, the idea of teleportation is GREAT to say the least. Hell, even if you could teleport raw materials such as water, fuel, food and so on. The work is outstanding!!!!

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I tend to believe that even if they can get accurate enough to completely re-create everything about the person at the next stop, it wouldn't be you. The person would be walking around, having all your memories (assuming they make no mistakes) acting like you, but it wouldn't really BE you

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 03:51 PM
link   
KKing,

A similar problem to that exist's with uploading someone's 'brain' to a computer. Something that *might* be possible within the next 30 years ...
Basicly, your brain is monitored until death. It's fully mapped out and emulated, once you die, it all get's uploaded onto a computer. Your brain pattern's remain fully intact after death, but now your body consist's of wire's and circuit's. You *know* your *you* while inside the computer, but some people don't believe it. Despite your brain being *FULLY* mapped out and emulated perfectly ...

So, with teleportation, instead of just your brain pattern's, it's all of you being recreated. Even if your recreated fully and perfectly without any difference's from the *original* you, you yourself believe you are you, but your friend's and family don't.

Now taken with cloning in mind and a reversal of uploading your brain pattern's. You've just died and are stored in your PC while a clone of you is made. Right after birth, the clone of you is sedated and taken to a labratory, and your brain pattern is *installed* into your cloned body. Are you still you, even though your brain and body have remained intact after your original death?

Or is the only thing that make's us, us ... are our soul's ... A piece of us that has never been seen before, and never will until we've parted this world. If there really is anything to part to ...

posted on Apr, 1 2003 @ 03:49 AM
link   
develop a technology that detects and can quantify consciousness itself, there will be no such thing as living forever from new body to new body all the while keeping the original essence.

Some say that there's no soul, and that all it is, is electrical impulses. Strange that with a battery which is electrical, you can drain it and recharge it without fail 20+ times in succession, but there is no guarantee you can take a healthy person, give him a heart-stopping jolt of electricity, then restart him with more electricity even one time, let alone a number of times in succession.

Electric impulses dont account for out of body experiences either. Many have left their body or have had NDEs and actually read information off of nearby signs or papers. Some have returned from 'wherever' with specific information that they never had access to in their lives previously which cannot be explained by early repressed memories. So, there is a lot to this phenomenon that is unknown, and as long as mainstream science ignores it, it will remain largely unknown. This might be a good thing, however, because once too many people know something, it becomes used improperly.

I guess this is why there have always been secret societies.

posted on Apr, 1 2003 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Blackbox makes a valid point. No one has been able to nail down our "consciousness."
And anyway, a photon means nothing. Photons have basically no mass. They haven't figured out how to teleport an actual molecule yet, so as far as we know, they're lightyears away from human teleportation.

I read an interesting book recently, involving teleportation. They first tested it out on mice, and then on convicts - the mice came through dead, and the convicts came through insane, except for the ones that went through asleep. The explanation was that while the body traveled the distance instantaneously, the mind/soul experienced infinity.

posted on Apr, 2 2003 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Ok, enough of the spiritual stuff. Take that somewhere else if you like. Let's look at such experiments. You take a laser beam, also take some non-linear crystal, such as for instance BBO(Beta-borium borate), you phase match such that you create two photons and then split them by a beamsplitter. Further down the line you detect the spin of the photon. Once you measure the spin of one photon, the wavefunction collapses and the spin of the other photon is known. However, you needed to split every initial photon in order for this to work. This is simply a big problem and this will take a lot of time to solve for normal particles. In the end they will come up with something I think. But is not that easy, we don't have crystals for protons etc.

posted on Apr, 11 2003 @ 03:43 PM
link   
What I think most are forgetting here, is the transporting of "objects" vs. people.... This would have huge ramifications if possible, without even worrying about the human angle yet. Think how much money would be saved if we could just transport a satellite into orbit....or a surveyor to Mars.... Baby steps....please...

posted on Apr, 13 2003 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I saw this on Outer Limits like year ago...

new topics

top topics

join