It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Letterman Slammed For Sex Jokes About Palin's Teen Daughter

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
My prediction.....

In the future there will be jokes about Obamas daughters bahavior and someone will point out that the jokes were in bad taste and the response will be....

Yeah but David Letterman trashed Sarah Palins Daughter so what's the big deal?

and the wheels go round and round....

[edit on 13-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The joke was referring to her 14yr. old daughter! Comedy does have boundaries. By the way, are you female?

reply to post by tothetenthpower

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The major difference is that #1. The media will trash anyone with "negative" comments about Obama, as will Oprah. Secondly, if needed, the media will lambast the individual as a racist who has hate in their heart!
reply to post by whaaa

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
But more importantly, where are all of the feminist groups protesting Letterman? Funny and hypocritical of them. The only way they will cause an uproar is for a fellow feminazi. I am sick of these groups who based their whole philosophy on helping womens' rights and then be selective about which women they support. Hell, even poor ole Hillary did not get any support by them whenever the media portrayed her as old and bitchy.
reply to post by Heisenberg

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Letterman is going down over this, people have had enough. Ultimately, what did him in was the weasel-iest non-apology of the decade. He had his chance and blew it in the worst way possible.

I'm not a Republican, I'm one of the 40+% of America that votes independently, based on the issues, the record, and the character of the candidate.

This is all the fault of the partisan left and Hollywood. They have never understood the old tactical maxim that you never do anything nasty that will expose your own people to retaliation in kind. Actually, they used to understand this but it's run by the moronic, pampered children (who are now old and back in diapers) of the people who built the industry. And they wonder why their whole industry is failing and Steven Spielberg took his Dreamworks and left; he now works with Bollywood (that's Mumbai, formerly Bombay, India) backing.

They are the ones who have decided to turn comedy and really every mass media outlet they can into a weapon in a 'culture war.' I don't have a problem when mass media players want to talk about the issues. But I'm sick of the # throwing and the war mentality of 'you have to conform or we do everything possible to tear you down.' Every stupid tv show is way too full of the worst sort of political trolling.

Mod Edit - Snipped Recruitment Content

ATS T&C

1e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:

i) You will not use your membership at The Above Network, LLC site(s) for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not post, use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

[edit on 14/6/09 by neformore]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
Good to see you defend a poor tasteless joke about a teenager with a very young child. That makes me feel so much better. Would it have been ok if she had aborted the baby to still make a joke about it?

That would depend entirely on how the abortion joke was delivered.

Zing.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
The National Organization of Women also blasted Letterman for inappropriate "jokes" on its Web site Thursday.

"Comedians in search of a laugh should really know better than to snicker about men having sex with teenage girls (or young women) less than half their age," NOW said.

"The sexualization of girls and women in the media is reaching new lows these days — it is exploitative and has a negative effect on how all women and girls are perceived and how they view themselves."

No, the Sexualization of women has more to do with women than it has to do with men. There's nothing wrong with a 50 year old man having sex and kids with a 25 year old (Catherine Zeta Who?).

Brilliantly blatant feminist propoganda? We thinks yes. Women are responsible for their own self image and how they perceive themselves, don't put it on society just because there are "Expectations". We define ourselves.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Hypocrite? Exposed her kids to this?

What is she supposed to do, hide her family? We all know that Obama does his best to hide his family, but then again, he is not a role model.

Maybe Palin loves her family, and is proud of them. Maybe she feels that she has the right to enjoy a day at the ballpark with her daughter without being subjected to perverts getting their jollies off on national TV. Maybe America has become so jaded because of perverts like Letterman that it isn't safe to go out in public anymore. And maybe it's those who try to justify this as "just a joke" that have helped bring our nation to this sorry state.

I wouldn't blame Sarah Palin if she walked onto Letterman's stage and slapped him across the face.

You are absolutely correct! There is but one solution to this terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad national crisis;

Self-ordained Pre-emptive Rapture.

That's right. Vote yourself off the island.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Can you believe it?

And here all the posters that think it is ok?

It shows how low our society has sunk.

There's no bottom, only turtles all the way down.

The failure to stick up for the most vulnerable, the children, how have we sunk to such a low.

Must protect the.... must protect the... must protect the... don't prepare them, don't arm them with knowledge, must shelter, protect, conceal, hide, shield, blind, cripple and.... and... must protect the....

I know.

We know longer know right from wrong, we are desentisized to the pain of others.

There has never been a single society that knew "Right from Wrong". Kind of seems as if such concepts do not exist Objectively outside of human perception.

But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy,

unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control,

So wait, when did these last days begin? This sounds like the last 6,000 years.

Second verse, same as the first?

brutal,

haters of good,

treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure

DAMN THAT PLEASURE! It's so easy to love... you know, dopamine and those feelings that incline one to.... enjoy things that are pleasurable? I was enjoying seedless purple grapes earlier. They were delicious.

I'm a-goin' ta hell.

difficult times will come.

always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

[edit on 103030p://bThursday2009 by Stormdancer777]

Wait, you mean all this time it wasn't DIFFICULT? You lie. I want my ticket back.

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
Oh no, I do read all the posts, I just happen to disagree that it is acceptable behavior. Yes this kind of joking goes on all the time, not just in this context, still doesn't make it right. It's going in circles because one side sees it as acceptable to do and the other does not. Can you not see why a parent might get a little PO'ed that someone made a very bad taste joke about their daughter?

I can imagine why a lot of parents do a lot of things. I can also imagine that we don't manufacture very good parents in this country. I've seen precious few at least.

So every 18 year old is subjected to self-esteem crushing humor? Palin's kids are just that, her children, they are not celebrities like Ms. Spears. So there's no line to be drawn from their peers eh? Anything is acceptable.

I fixed the above paragraph for you. This makes a lot more sense.

Snicker-dee-doo.

You make my point, yes this is considered acceptable nowadays, sadly. Jokes are one thing, off color, vulgar remarks about another's child crosses the line for me, regardless if they are somehow in the public eye. I don't recall Palin picking this fight with him, Letterman did an off color remark about her child, wouldn't you defend your child?

But sex sells. And it's funny. You can't eat a banana without looking a LITTLE queer.

Let me make a few off-color comments about your Mother. And that she's a whore.

See what I did there?

Sure do. I find it odd that you would so level headed about having a nationwide joke made on your daughters expense. Especially in the context of her pregnant with a the child of a man twice her age. You can raise a kid right and still things will happen that will test them and your family. Defending your child against such statements is the right thing to do IMO.

Which only makes a Baby-plumped Fourteen year old all the more Tragicomical. It's doubly funny if it's about an 18 year old whose baby-daddy has been thrown to the curb by the fam-fam, and who gets pregg'd by a baseball star known for liking the younguns.

Cue Drumroll.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Hit the nail on the head.

Also just in..."Comedian makes a bad joke - LYNCH HIM!"

If its not funny, do not watch it folks.

I think the whole Palin family is a joke. Good for them and their life's, but if those were my "neighbors", I would be thinking my god.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

This is exactly why people like Lettermen get paid. They piss people off and spark some controversy making other people curious so they watch the show to see what all the hype is about. It's all about ratings

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Oh dear! You know Lettermans style and what the late show is all about. He takes the piss out of everyone who is, at that moment, in the public eye. He didn't mean anything maliscious by this it was just in bad taste, and most comedians love bad taste.
I swear, some of you yanks have an irony defisciency. You are so quick to take offence even when you know it was done by one of your best interviewers and comics. For gods sake, get things into perspective.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join