It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Letterman Slammed For Sex Jokes About Palin's Teen Daughter

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
mus lost his job because he repeatedly said racist and homophobic things. I agree with the man's freedom of speech, but good grief, stop making him a martyr. His bosses had every right to terminate him.

lol lets shake this down real quick, if in the united states there was freedon of speech, a person would be able to say whatever the heck they wanted to, but you just classified my exact point. freedom of speech depends on what side of the fence you sit on. your side is he was a rascist. so he lost his freedom of speech. so plz dont be a hypocrite here, as if we in the united states, truly had freedoms. if we truly had freedom of speech, imus would still be on, right?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by tatersalad
lol lets shake this down real quick, if in the united states there was freedon of speech, a person would be able to say whatever the heck they wanted to

Except if you're on the radio, in which case there are decency regulations.

[edit on 11/6/2009 by Thousand]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I never really liked Letterman but that's pretty good.

I giggled, sue me

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tatersalad

And Rush Limbaugh was fired by ESPN because he dared make a comment about a black QB.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tatersalad

lol lets shake this down real quick, if in the united states there was freedon of speech, a person would be able to say whatever the heck they wanted to

Oh please, freedom of speech protects NO SUCH THING. Your boss can certainly fire you for saying the crap that Imus did. There's no way any sane boss would let you go to work calling people lesbos, faggots, theiving jews, and ragheads. Reality check yourself.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
reply to post by Darth Lumina

Why exactly is it ok or funny to make even the 18 year old the butt of a joke? Just because she happens to Sarah Palin's daughter who made a poor decision? I would say the same to any other politicians child, regardless of party. I don't get how this "joking" is acceptable behavior.

I don't mean to make a mountain over this, but again, would you want your 14 or 18 year old subject to such things?

Ok now this thread is going in circles. This kind of post keeps recycling, so goes to show you didn't read any of the other posts.

As for your questions, what world do you live in that any 18 year is safe from jokes? Look up other celebrities, Britney Spears was the butt of many jokes before she turned 18, as were many others. Think before asking a pointless question.

Politicians kids, celebrities kids, are all in danger of the media and jokes. This is nothing new, this story is just the flavor of the week. Palin just trying to stay in the spotlight by getting into a war of words with Lettermen. She exposed her kids to all of this and has the nerve to talk trash about anyone? What a hypicrite. Joking at the expense of people be it politically or to just make fun of them is part of our mass media, our culture, it's everywhere, so if you don't like it, turn the tv off, turn the computer off, toss the newspaper, build a cabin in the woods and go read a book.

Would I want my kids subjected to this? Well let's see, no, because I would not create the situation for my kids to be exploited like this. Most celebrities do a pretty good job of keeping their kids out of the spotlight, Sarah Palin decided to bring media attention to them, she exposed them to the wolves so it's her damn fault that this is happening. But if my 18 year old and 14 year old were subjected to this even if I couldn't prevent it, then I still wouldn't be angered by it. I wouldn't like it, but there's nothing to be done about it and if I didn't raise my kids to have a head on their neck and be strong, then that's my failure as a father. So there you have it, got anything else?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

The National Organization of Women also blasted Letterman for inappropriate "jokes" on its Web site Thursday.

"Comedians in search of a laugh should really know better than to snicker about men having sex with teenage girls (or young women) less than half their age," NOW said.

"The sexualization of girls and women in the media is reaching new lows these days — it is exploitative and has a negative effect on how all women and girls are perceived and how they view themselves."

www.now.org...

After two nights of "jokes" at the expense of Palin and her family,

The sexualization of girls and women in the media is reaching new lows these days -- it is exploitative and has a negative effect on how all women and girls are perceived and how they view themselves. Letterman also joked about what he called Palin's "slutty flight attendant look" -- yet another example of how the media love to focus on a woman politician's appearance, especially as it relates to her sexual appeal to men. Someone of Letterman's stature, who appears on what used to be known as "the Tiffany Network" (CBS), should be above wallowing in the juvenile, sexist mud that other comedians and broadcasters seem to prefer.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

The NOW gang sticking up for a conservative woman? That's something that doesn't happen too often. Bout time!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth Lumina

She exposed her kids to all of this and has the nerve to talk trash about anyone? What a hypicrite.

Hypocrite? Exposed her kids to this?

What is she supposed to do, hide her family? We all know that Obama does his best to hide his family, but then again, he is not a role model.

Maybe Palin loves her family, and is proud of them. Maybe she feels that she has the right to enjoy a day at the ballpark with her daughter without being subjected to perverts getting their jollies off on national TV. Maybe America has become so jaded because of perverts like Letterman that it isn't safe to go out in public anymore. And maybe it's those who try to justify this as "just a joke" that have helped bring our nation to this sorry state.

I wouldn't blame Sarah Palin if she walked onto Letterman's stage and slapped him across the face.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
reply to post by Stormdancer777

The NOW gang sticking up for a conservative woman? That's something that doesn't happen too often. Bout time!

Can you believe it?

And here all the posters that think it is ok?

It shows how low our society has sunk.

The failure to stick up for the most vulnerable, the children, how have we sunk to such a low.

I know.

We know longer know right from wrong, we are desentisized to the pain of others.

But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy,

unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control,

brutal,

haters of good,

treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure

difficult times will come.

always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

[edit on 103030p://bThursday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Lumina

Ok now this thread is going in circles. This kind of post keeps recycling, so goes to show you didn't read any of the other posts.

Oh no, I do read all the posts, I just happen to disagree that it is acceptable behavior. Yes this kind of joking goes on all the time, not just in this context, still doesn't make it right. It's going in circles because one side sees it as acceptable to do and the other does not. Can you not see why a parent might get a little PO'ed that someone made a very bad taste joke about their daughter?

As for your questions, what world do you live in that any 18 year is safe from jokes? Look up other celebrities, Britney Spears was the butt of many jokes before she turned 18, as were many others. Think before asking a pointless question.

So any 18 year old should be subject to nationwide joking? Palin's kids are just that, her children, they are not celebrities like Ms. Spears. So there's no line to be draw for you eh? Anything is acceptable.

Politicians kids, celebrities kids, are all in danger of the media and jokes. This is nothing new, this story is just the flavor of the week. Palin just trying to stay in the spotlight by getting into a war of words with Lettermen.

You make my point, yes this is considered acceptable nowadays, sadly. Jokes are one thing, off color, vulgar remarks about another's child crosses the line for me, regardless if they are somehow in the public eye. I don't recall Palin picking this fight with him, Letterman did an off color remark about her child, wouldn't you defend your child?

But if my 18 year old and 14 year old were subjected to this even if I couldn't prevent it, then I still wouldn't be angered by it. I wouldn't like it, but there's nothing to be done about it and if I didn't raise my kids to have a head on their neck and be strong, then that's my failure as a father. So there you have it, got anything else?

Sure do. I find it odd that you would so level headed about having a nationwide joke made on your daughters expense. Especially in the context of her pregnant with a the child of a man twice her age. You can raise a kid right and still things will happen that will test them and your family. Defending your child against such statements is the right thing to do IMO.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Why should we not make this a big deal? When something like this offends millions of peoples morals there is going to be a big response. You come on here and post to all to get over ourselves. Kiss off! Sarah Palin was in NYC for a fund raiser for Autistic Children. David Letterman should be ashamed that's the way I feel and that you will not change.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
So, we automatically have to support something that NOW believes? lol

Hey, raise your hand conservatives if you agree with NOW declaring Bill O'Reilly and several other popular conservatives as misogynist!

How many of you think Observe and Report supported date rape?

How many of you think G. Gordon Liddy owes Sotomayor an apology?

How many of you think a harmless Burger King commercial was exploiting women?

[edit on 11-6-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
“Must we not acknowledge, I said, that in each of us there are the same principles and habits which there are in the state; and that from the individual they pass into the state?—how else can they come there?

Socrates

“How goes the part, so goes the Whole”.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
"My god America is a nation of prudes, I swear."

Anal retentive prudes that need to get laid.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Oh no, a comedian makes vulgar jokes on late night television

What's the big deal here? I thought we had something called freedom of speech in this country, guess that really is just a myth. Its bad enough the FCC can get away with ANY censorship of what you can and can't say on TV... There just words people, honestly, if you don't like his jokes don't watch his show... Plus its Late Night TV and you're supposed to be able to say more risque things especially on a comedy show...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Removed, because I felt that I was a little harsh, it happens.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
So any 18 year old should be subject to nationwide joking? Palin's kids are just that, her children, they are not celebrities like Ms. Spears. So there's no line to be draw for you eh? Anything is acceptable.

I have to disagree with you on this when it comes to Bristol. If it hadn't been for her recent time publicly speaking for abstinence only, and for her cover on People Magazine a few weeks ago in her graduation robe and with her son, I would say that she is in no way a celebrity with the exception of her mother. However, since she has appeared by herself recently, I think that she could fall under the radar of "celebrity" (which really isn't something hard to reach in the US today).

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by riddle6

I see your point, but should she be ridiculed and made the butt of a joke for trying to talk publicly about her situation? It just doesn't sit right. It's not like she is a trainwreck of a celebrity, if you consider her that. She hasn't really done anything to deserve such treatment other than be a young unwed mother, and she is trying to help in that respect even.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Letterman tops Conan in ratings

Letterman tops Conan in ratingsFor the first time since last week's debut of "The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien," CBS incumbent "Late Show With David Letterman" took the top spot Tuesday, based on Nielsen estimates for 56 top markets.

Letterman, with guest Julia Roberts, reached 3.4 percent of TV homes in those cities, and O'Brien, with guest Eddie Murphy, drew 2.9 percent.

That's a 56 percent drop from O'Brien's opener June 1.

SOURCE: www.kansascity.com...

OK, so Letterman exhibited a mild case of "Sense of Humor Failure"
Not so bad considering he presents hundreds of jokes every week.

IMO, he is a comedy icon. ( Stupid Pet Tricks, Top Ten List etc.)

So hypotheticals aside, ( What if so and so said this about that.)
I'll make you all a deal, I won't listen to Rush and you don't have to watch him. Fair?

Regards...KK

[edit on 12-6-2009 by kinda kurious]

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join