It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Letterman Slammed For Sex Jokes About Palin's Teen Daughter

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
If Rush or Sean made a joke about some liberals kid all the conservatives would be saying "It's a joke, whats the big deal"

hypocrite much?

[edit on 10-6-2009 by whaaa]

But they haven't done that, have they?

No, it's only the liberals that you seem compelled to defend - even for trash as low as this.

And to set the record straight, the Palins were traveling with their 14 year old daughter when Letterman made his "jokes", not the 18 year old. Letterman is now trying to say he meant the older girl as a way to try and duck out from under what he's done. Truly weak and slimy ...

[edit on 6/11/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
I was watching the show and what I found more odd than the offensive comment made by Dave, was the fact that lefties sure can't get enough of Palin.
They still bring up her name on a regular basis, he even repeated a few Palin jokes the following evening.

They keep her alive but she will come back to haunt them, especially now that she is beginning to say I told ya so.

That's because the lefties are still so very afraid of Palin. Any self-made conservative woman scares them to death.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth Lumina

Anybody noticing a tendency for the more left leaning passing off blame for a lot of what they do?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nickmare
I dunno many 14 year old girls that would have been overly offended.

"OMG mom! He said I got knocked up but I haven't been!"

Oh, the travesty?!?!?

Anyway, I believe David Letterman when he says he was referring to Bristol. The joke didn't make sense if he wasn't.

How does the joke make sense if he was referring to Bristol when she wasn't at the game? Are we supposed to imagine in the joke the Alex Rodriguez flew to Alaska and had sex with her?

Could you explain that to me?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Letterman has certainly lost his luster over the past several years. I used to love watching him years ago when he was still funny. He changed when he left NBC. He is getting bitter with age and is just collecting a paycheck at this point in his career.

This is painfully true. And lately, Letterman has been doing really bizarre and off-color stuff on the Howard Stern show on Sirius-XM.

Makes you just shake your head in disgust.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

Apparently there are some things that are off-limits and potentially offensive to certain groups and segments of the population.

Go figure.

Yes, Children of politicians and for that matter, celebrities should be off limits. Letterman's staff did a poor job writing and researching that joke. Even an 18 year old child of a politician that chooses poorly, should be off limits.

Put it this way, would you want the dirty laundry of your family broadcast on David Letterman for others to laugh at? Didn't think so.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by pavil]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Funny how now it is only offensive because it is a republican.

good ol double standard.

I remember when Chlesea Clinton was called ugly.

double standard indeed....

Really? I never heard "ugly". Heard stuff like Janet Reno was really her father, but never heard Chelsea called "ugly".

The kids should be left alone, unless they are actively campaigning (making speeches, etc.) for their parents.

But going with your statement, commenting on what you and others can actually see is quite a bit different than making sick assumptions such as other posters here have that the 14 year old deserved it because she was probably having sex, too.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Well if either of you actually read this thread or were familiar with the story one iota you'd see they weren't talking about Bristol, she wasn't at the game. Yet you still continue to post in this thread. Amazing.

If you had bothered to read his follow up you'd know that he thought the joke was about Bristol, obviously he or his writers didn't know or care if she attended the game. It was obviously about her, hello, which daughter got knocked up? Nuff said. If you want to continue believing it was the 14 year old fine by me, just realize how silly that is when no names were said and the 18 year old and her former pregnancy are well known.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Politicians children have always been off limits in the past. Now starting with the Obama campaign and Palin's involvement suddenly it is OK? The stuff from the Daily Koss was of course the worst. You would have to be a sick person to frequent that site.

I think this whole thing is an indictment on just how dirty our politics have become. The Far Right and the Far Left have become so perverse and demented both sicken me.

I watched the tape twice and Lettermans jokes were clearly directed at the 14 year old Daughter who was with Palin at the game. I'm not sure I buy his attempt to pretend he was talking about the 18 year old. It does not really matter though. Neither Daughter is running for office and any attack on them is the act of vile human being.

I was a Letterman watcher and fan for years, but when he started going political I stopped watching. I noticed years ago his jokes had gone from being tongue in cheek to sometimes just outright cruel.

As to the people in his audience who thought it was so funny; there are a lot of sick people in this world and it seems they have become his target audience. Now I understand why Johnny Carson would not let him have the Tonight Show.

A large part of the blame goes to the Media and their behavior this last Presidential Campaign. I've watched every campaign and the reporting since Kennedy and this is by far the most disgusting. Unlike the First Lady, I was for the first time in my adult life ashamed of the direction America is going in politics. How anyone could take pride in that dirty campaign escapes me.

I was glad to see today that Sarah had managed to seal the deal between companies on the Gas Pipeline and once again accomplish what others could not. I'm happy to be here where we have growth and a bright future unlike most other States. There should come a point as all of the Far Left States go bankrupt that they realize radicalism is ruining their States. The further Left the State, the more trouble it is in. Some people just never learn and they keep sticking their finger in the fire to see if it still burns. How sad.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Basically because he did not write the joke and had no idea which daughter was at the game.

I agree it was a "lame" joke, but the writer that wrote it should be getting the majority of the flack.

All Letterman can be blamed with is stupidity in not validating the information surrounding said joke.

It does not matter anyway.. next week we will be arguing about something stupid some other "celebrity" has said on camera.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Politicians children have always been off limits in the past.

Really? Clinton's daughter was nationally teased for her looks. She was even featured in a Beavis and Butthead movie, no joke.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
reply to post by jd140

All Letterman can be blamed with is stupidity in not validating the information surrounding said joke.

And that's what many are saying - Letterman should have checked to see if the 14 year old daughter really was the type of slut that would have an affair with ARod.
There's no way he would have done the joke if he had.

Say does Letterman have any kids? According to wiki, he has a 5 or 6 year old son. It must be alright then with a bunch of people here if people also go after Letterman's son.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Again.... Letterman thought he was telling the joke about the 18 y/o not the 14 y/o... no offense but you really need to read the facts.

In hindsight, I am sure had he known that the daughter actually attending the game was not bristol.... the joke would have never made the monologue.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
reply to post by jjkenobi

If you had bothered to read his follow up you'd know that he thought the joke was about Bristol...

I watched it and it was not convincing. The 14 year old was the only one with Palin. His jokes were about the Daughter that was with her at the game.

Do you personally think it is OK to attack peoples children? If so, why?

If Clinton's Daughter had been attacked, would you have defended the attacker? What if Clinton were accused of raping his Daughter like Palin's Husband was accused of? Did you find that funny?

I liked Clinton by the way, so please don't go there and accuse me of being on the Far Right. They are sick also.

Children should be off limits on both sides. To bad Letterman went Political and started using cruel jokes. I enjoyed him for many years until he started that.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I liked Clinton by the way, so please don't go there and accuse me of being on the Far Right

Where did I accuse you of being on the far right? I was just showing that your statement was wrong, kids have been picked on before Palin's or Obama's, that's all I was stating, where did I state anything else? Where did I state that I agree with it?

As for the statement being about the 14 year old, it wasn't, I'm not willing to debate that because it has already been made clear, if you want to keep believing it then I agree to disagree. I stated in my first post on page one why Bristol is not off limits, kindly respond to that if you want a response, I just don't want to repeat myself.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic

Again.... Letterman thought he was telling the joke about the 18 y/o not the 14 y/o... no offense but you really need to read the facts.

And again, that's just what Letterman is saying now because he doesn't have the cojones to man up and admit he made a mistake.

Seriously, does Letterman really need or deserve this much help from you and the others here defending him?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Not even in the ballpark of what has been done to Palin's children. Not even close. Did you even read that stuff on the Koss? I've never seen anything like that before.

By the way, Sarah is a brilliant person, a nice person and one of the best Governors we have had. I voted against her and as I watch us prosper while the rest of the country flounders, I have realized I was wrong.

It does not matter who did what to which politicians children or family. What matters is that it should never happen period.

Who would be stupid enough to put their families through that? It guarantees the best people will never have an interest in running. That means we get inferior government.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I am not defending the man.. I am saying the flak should be directed at the person who wrote it. I just know how the industry works, I am in it.

The writers provide the jokes... the man reads them off a tele-prompter. He more than likely never even saw footage of the Palins at the ball game.

The writer probably did not even verify facts of which Palins were at the game. he saw a cheap joke to be used since the oldest daughter was knocked up in the past, and viola a lame joke is born.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Not even in the ballpark of what has been done to Palin's children. Not even close.

That’s your opinion, I disagree. A whole nation focusing on how supposedly ugly a little girl is is pretty bad.

By the way, Sarah is a brilliant person, a nice person and one of the best Governors we have had.

Okay… I feel no need to discuss this, but thanks for the random input that had nothing to do with my post.

Who would be stupid enough to put their families through that? It guarantees the best people will never have an interest in running. That means we get inferior government.

If people can’t take that kind of criticism then they should never be in office.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rapinbatsisaltherage

Forgive me for that. I've been attacked so many times by people on the Far Left on this site, I sometimes make assumptions I should not.

I'm at work so I'm always a post behind in my responses.

I leave it as there is no defense for Letterman's words whether it was about a 14 year old or an 18 year old. For him to imply there was is to dishonest and disturbing to swallow. I'm not impressed by that kind of humor. Funny people don't need to resort to that for a laugh.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join