It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Letterman Slammed For Sex Jokes About Palin's Teen Daughter

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You know why he wouldn't say anything like that about the Obama's? Because of the way they behave. As in respectable.
You know why it's funny to make fun of Palin? Because most people see her candidacy as a twisted joke on the people of the world.
Face it, they bring a lot of it on themselves.

Here's a humorous piece that reflects how a lot of people view Palin. I don't think he was the right guy for the job at this point but, I feel for Sen McCain.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Everyone is making to much of this. I don't even think Sarah Palin is as offended as she is making herself out to be, she is just trying to hang onto as much fame as she can to stay in the game. She served her purpose in McCain's campaign to reach out to the soccar moms and young voters who would vote for her because she is hot, but it failed and itsteand of just going back to Alaska to run her state she is campaigning. Everyone knew that the "flight attendant" joke was just another one related about the constant 'controversy" over her wardrobe during the campaign, and it goes with the male fantasies that many men have probably had too.

Personally, I had a sexy librarian image with her, but to each his own. Then her daughter did get knocked up while the Palins were trying to come off as this strictly conservative, highly moral, and very traditional values. It is funny, and everyone, including the Palin's know the job was meant for the older daughter, not the 14 year old. Get real. I do agree with the other posts that people just don't have a sense of humor and for jokes they don't find funny they have to whine about it instead of just ignoring it. I personally don't watch any late night shows any more, but both Lettermen and Leno had said a pretty good fair share of would could be considered "offensive" jokes. As for Lettermen, he's actually a pretty nice guy in person. He's surprisingly shy, and a lot more humble than I would have ever thought him to be.

I also found out that he actually has a charity him and is mother founded that actually do good, but he has never brought a lot of attention to it like other celebrities have, so I give him credit for that. Not saying I know the guy personally,but to pretty much put in same category as a child molestet is just a reflection of peoples stupidity. Also, I laugh when people accuse others of being a pervert, news flash people, everyones a pervert.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

tothetenthpower:

He said a joke, and he's obviously apologized for it, and said he didn''t mean the 14 year old.

I'm glad how you over looked pretty much everything I said. Avoiding the obvious truth, it would seem.

He's a human, which have a tendency to make mistakes, who lives in the US, where the constitution, hence free speech, reigns. I made a mistake, he believes he made a mistake. He said he's sorry to her. I still believe his intended point is well... valid, and rather entertaining.

The funniest part is the fact you are making it a big deal because he, and I, made a mistake. It doesn't really matter if anyone did anything or not, when the emphasis is on the mistake... how I see it anyway.

But, she's a human (hell, she could be a monkey - we still laugh at them), living in the times we do now. She might as well get used to accepting free speech. Else, being the daughter of a politician, our constitution is rather screwed.

*Oh, sorry for not doing my homework on the families of EVERY politician in the nation. What's next? Name John and Kate's 8 neglected, exploited children in chronological order of birth?

[edit on 11-6-2009 by shanerz]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Lumina

It is funny, and everyone, including the Palin's know the job was meant for the older daughter, not the 14 year old. Get real.

The older daughter was not at the game. How can you make a joke about someone getting knocked up at a baseball game that they didn't even attend? Not funny.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Letterman probably didn't even write that joke, he's guilty of saying it, that's the only thing he did. His writer should apologize for making the joke in the first place.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Because the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.
Doesnt matter which daughter it is....does it?
BTW, I'm not laughing. Is that illegal now too?
Could be a springboard to other things I guess...
Notice I didnt say waterboard?

I do think laughing may be illegal in some areas.
Frowned upon in general I'm sure.
For you must be "on something".

If you are offended by this you must have something up your butt.
Ever hear the phrase "words can never hurt me"? Jeez.
I can see it if your HER DAD. Otherwise fuggittaboutit...

[edit on 11-6-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I was watching the show and what I found more odd than the offensive comment made by Dave, was the fact that lefties sure can't get enough of Palin.
They still bring up her name on a regular basis, he even repeated a few Palin jokes the following evening.

They keep her alive but she will come back to haunt them, especially now that she is beginning to say I told ya so.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Yes, but bush baby started this current roller coaster rolling.
(I read the link)
Dont forget that. The right should be glad.
They will have their chance to screw it up again in 2012.(too)
And we will be so mad by then, we will vote that way,
so it should be all good! I dont see the problem here...
unless it's the predicament we're in regardless.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
They keep her alive but she will come back to haunt them, especially now that she is beginning to say I told ya so.

The Dembs would like nothing more than to have Ms. Palin back on the campaign trail. Most women I know, even conservative women, think she is a fool. Newt/Palin....I can hardly wait.

The GOP is gonna have to field a person with some substance, charisma and ideas instead of the crybaby, whining negative campaign style they love so much.

The GOP lost.....Obama didn't win. Wise up GOP it's a brave new world, welcome to the monkey house.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Letterman has certainly lost his luster over the past several years. I used to love watching him years ago when he was still funny. He changed when he left NBC. He is getting bitter with age and is just collecting a paycheck at this point in his career.

I suppose he'll say anything to make an attempt at being cool and hip. He'll soon end up at the bottom of the barrel with Katie Couric. He is reverting to lazy humor. Not to mention, that Letterman wears his political views on his sleeve. Perhaps the joke would have been funny if Letterman stayed neutral in his public political displays of affection for all things Obama.

If Letterman wants to revive his career he should bring back Chris Elliott and "the guy under the seats".
Now that was funny stuff.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
So let me get this straight, a late night comedian made some jokes about a politician that were unflattering? And even had the audacity to mix it up by throwing in some comments about a controversial sports figure? How SHOCKING and UNEXPECTED! That Letterman is really pushing the limit!! We should drag him to the nearest hangin' tree and make an example out of his sorry butt. This time late night TV has gone TOO FAR!!

give me a big fat stinking break!

Palin flat out earned (and then some) every shot taken at her ever since she chose to step into the limelight. Maybe if she smarted up a bit she could catch more of a break...buuuuuut, I'm not going to hold my breath for that one.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

Originally posted by Darth Lumina

It is funny, and everyone, including the Palin's know the job was meant for the older daughter, not the 14 year old. Get real.

The older daughter was not at the game. How can you make a joke about someone getting knocked up at a baseball game that they didn't even attend? Not funny.

Lettermen has joke writers for him and he says them on his show. They all do this. He looks over them, but he obviously didn't know that the older daughter wasn't at the game, whom the joke was clearly referencing. This is a blunder on the writers for not looking into it better. Doesn't matter if it's funny or not, it shouldn't even be an issue.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Simply disgusting!

Willow Palin is only 14 years old. To suggest or even joke about someone that young "getting knocked up" is disgusting.

A 62 year old man going after a 14 year old girl....ugh....he is no better than a high school bully.

FYI Bristol Palin DID NOT attend the game. 14 year old Willow Palin did. Does that change your view?

You are about as informed as Letterman's staff. I have never seen 14 year old Willow Palin give an interview or make a public appearance. Attending a Yankee game with her mom is hardly a public appearance.

Letterman....like yourself, should do a little research. Bristol Palin WAS NOT at the ball game. 14 year old Willow Palin was. What did this 14 year old do to deserve the "lewd" comments?

The false outrage is really old, RR. It's been stated at least three times in this thread (including in an apology from Letterman himself, in which he invited Palin to his show) that he was referring to Bristol, even though she wasn't at the game. But that doesn't even phase you, does it? No, you have to play the overblown sensitivity card like the broken record you are, doggedly repeating yourself until what you say starts getting taken as fact. Classic conservative MO. Build high ground where none exists, then shout loudly down from it.

It was a blunder... people make them all the time, and Letterman publicly made amends. As for overreacting about false accusations and statements made in bad taste, where were you when Palin was saying Obama was consorting with terrorists? Where is her apology to him? I hardly think she can talk about being hurt by slander, when she is more than guilty of far worse.

edit: and before you take the above analogy and run with the "ZOMGZ, HUSSEIN OBAMA ISNT LETTERMAN LOLO, DIFRENT PEOPLE!!1!!" angle, yes, I'm aware the analogy isn't perfect. But I'm not comparing Obama and Letterman, I'm pointing out Palin's hypocrisy. Which is completely obvious to anyone without their partisan-hack tunnel vision engaged.

[edit on 11/6/2009 by Thousand]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Micheal Jackson is a pedophile, no I do not feel badly for him being ridiculed. I wouldn't feel badly for that chimp toting freak of nature being castrated.

What is being discussed and disliked is not the talk of sex, but, the perversion of it. Talking about someone being a slutty stewardess or their kid being knocked up at 14 is poor taste plain and simple. If you can't see that, well, that is very unfortunate for not only you, but, the rest of society.

I didn't like when they made jokes about Chelsea Clinton being unattractive when she was young. I didn't like the jokes about Bushes twins. I don't like the attacks on Sara Palin.

Its so strange to me when I have friends say "She scares me". Why? What power does she have but brains and being attractive. She has no real power over the country.

Obama scares me. He is a heck of a lot more frightening than Palin will ever be.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thousand
where were you when Palin was saying Obama was consorting with terrorists? Where is her apology to him? I hardly think she can talk about being hurt by slander, when she is more than guilty of far worse.

Obama did consort with terrorists, doesn't William Ayers ring a bell?

That, and the fact Obama is bending over backwards to make things easier on terrorists, prove Palin was right.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
OMG the TV box has upset me, I'm going to have to destroy everyone's TV!

Didn't like what he said, stop watching him and the news that puts this stuff on the air.

No one is making you do anything, but some how some of you have been made to attack some rich guy for his jokes.

It is America, if I want to make fun of a knocked up hoe, I can...but not anymore soon...I wouldn't doubt for a second this was all in the works from the beginning. Get people riled up so we look at foolish laws in a good light.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by theuhstuf]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Oh well, for those that defend Palin....

"The Palins have no intention of providing a rating's boost for David Letterman by appearing on his show," the Alaska governor's rep said in a statement to FOXNews.com. "Plus, it would be wise to keep Willow away from David Letterman."

I guess she is not above cheap shots either.... so, everyone is even.. mud has been slung from both sides.

No publicity is bad publicity and both camps are getting their fair share.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by jd140

Well I am sorry for breaking whatever Moral code you think you have, or that this country has. It obviously has none.

Were ok with torturing innocent people and tazzering anybody who comes within 4 feet of a police officer, but we won't accept some lame comedian making a sex joke.

Who cares if he has a vendetta? Like his opinion even matters.

~Keeper

Living in a society that excuses sex jokes about children goes hand in hand with a society that allows torturing of innocents.

And vice versa.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Clark Savage Jr.

You're forgetting one major point... the "joke" was directed towards the 18 y/o daughter not the 14 y/o.

It seems that everyone misses that point.

If the correct daughter this was intended for was at the ball game... this would have been a non-issue.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I dunno many 14 year old girls that would have been overly offended.

"OMG mom! He said I got knocked up but I haven't been!"

Oh, the travesty?!?!?

Anyway, I believe David Letterman when he says he was referring to Bristol. The joke didn't make sense if he wasn't.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join