It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Letterman Slammed For Sex Jokes About Palin's Teen Daughter

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Guys.

Stick to the topic, which is about Lettermans joke, and lay-off the tasteless and lewd/off topic comments please.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
It's ridiculous the fuss the Republicans on this board are making about this. They criticise the morals of unwed teenage mothers all the time yet when it comes to one of their own taking a little criticism (which is what Letterman was obviously doing, he just got the wrong daughter) they go nuts!

Hypocrisy much?

And Palin deserved all the criticism she got during the election, she's a moron. If McCain had won, and then died (no offence, it could've happened as he's no spring chicken) would anyone really want Palin's finger on the metaphorical red button? A trigger-happy hick? You have no idea how glad the rest of the world was when Obama won.

For the record, I find Letterman about as funny as cancer. I've never known what it is Americans love about him. Well, not all Americans, obviously.

[edit on 11/6/09 by sotp]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Kids should be off-limits.

The Palin family willingly chose to participate in the media circus, the quote above could just as easily be said about Sarah Palin as David Letterman.

That said, I feel very sorry for the girl and I just feel people should leave her alone.

Except she keeps giving interviews and making appearances...

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack

Originally posted by jsobecky
Kids should be off-limits.

The Palin family willingly chose to participate in the media circus, the quote above could just as easily be said about Sarah Palin as David Letterman.

That said, I feel very sorry for the girl and I just feel people should leave her alone.

Except she keeps giving interviews and making appearances...

You are about as informed as Letterman's staff. I have never seen 14 year old Willow Palin give an interview or make a public appearance. Attending a Yankee game with her mom is hardly a public appearance.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas

Originally posted by rapinbatsisaltherage
That was completely tasteless, but Bristol has put herself in the public eye by becoming a spokesperson for "Vow Not Now", she's fine with drawing attention to the cause because she's Palin's daughter, she's fine with being on the cover of a magazine after graduating from high school because she's Palin's daughter, so guess what folks? Now she has to live with being ridiculed as well for being Palin's daughter. It happens. If she or Palin intend to cry a river over it then she shouldn't be putting herself out there in the first place.

Letterman, by the way, is not a pervert for making a joke. It was a poorly told joke, but he clearly meant Palin's adult daughter who had already been "knocked up".

[edit on 10-6-2009 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

Eloquent - well spoken and I fully concur,
Thankyou.

Well if either of you actually read this thread or were familiar with the story one iota you'd see they weren't talking about Bristol, she wasn't at the game. Yet you still continue to post in this thread. Amazing.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Strange, but after reading all three and a half pages of this thread, I went back to see the original monologue 'joke' again...

I thuught it was a slam at Alex Rodriguez????

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Get over yourselves folks. It's late night TV and who cares?

It's just a joke, he obviously didn't mean anything by it. My god America is a nation of prudes, I swear.

If this story was run in Japan they would all point and laugh at us. Celebrities and Politicians are fair game. If they want some respect, they can start running the country correctly and not pulling crazy stunts or making idiots out of themsevles in public.
First of all, when did Sarah Palin's teenage daughter become a politician? I must have missed that. I agree that celebrities and politicians are fair game, but I don't agree that their children are- especially when they are young.

And what does "running the country correctly" have to do with this argument? Sarah Palin does not run the country, nor has she ever. She is the governor of Alaska. And if you ask the citizens of Alaska, they will tell you in large part that she is doing a great job. Evidence of this exists in her excellent approval numbers.

Your comments about "pulling crazy stunts" and "making idiots of themselves in public" make as little sense as the other things you've said. As far as I can remember, Palin has never pulled any stunts, let alone any crazy ones. Secondly, she has never made an idiot of herself in public. Many on the left associate her accent and her plain-spoken style with stupidity, and unfairly so. The woman is very intelligent and very accomplished. Her intelligence wouldn't even be an issue if she wasn't a woman and a mother and a conservative. No matter what, the left automatically hates female conservatives and automatically questions their intelligence. I'm sure you are just as guilty of this.

Queue George Dancing In Front Of Reporters

The man is a shock comedian, it's what he does.

To Add: Didn't that kid just have a kid? Whats not funny about that?

~Keeper

[edit on 6/10/2009 by tothetenthpower]
Since when is David Letterman a "shock comedian"? Do you even read the stuff you type before you post it?? Lisa Lampanelli is a shock comedian. Jim Norton is a shock comedian. But David Letterman?? Give me a break. He's as vanilla as any other network television host. He is not supposed to be shocking, and if he were, he would end up alienating the majority of his audience. He's supposed to host a talk show that appeals to as many normal Americans as possible, and for the most part, that is what he does. And most of the time he does it extremely well.

I actually have a lot of respect and admiration for Letterman and his abilities. I think he is far better than say Jay Leno, although Leno had better writers, a better monologue, and a better show overall. I will chalk this incident up to bad judgement and bad writing. Doing five shows a week for the majority of the year for as many years as Letterman has, and your bound to screw up here and there. I only hope that Letterman realizes the errors of his ways and refrains from such offensive humor in the future.

And, finally, what the hell is so funny about "a kid having a kid"? Only a piece of trash would find humor in a minor being impregnated and giving birth to a child out of wedlock. And only someone who is so blatantly liberal and biased would find humor in the irony of this happening to Sarah Palin's daughter. I suppose the only thing that would have made you and the other angry libs laugh even harder would be if she had an abortion instead of keeping the kid.

Sarah Palin is fair game for jokes. Hell, she's even fair game for dirty and inappropriate jokes, if that's what makes you laugh (and a lot of times that is actually my kind of humor). But her daughter is and should be off limits. And if you find humor in someones child being publicly mocked, and you apparently do, then I sincerely hope that you never have children (judging by your character and maturity I would say you probably don't) and never experience the horror of having your innocent child become a punchline for dirty jokesters.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Sorry, no. Palin is our Governor.... and I've not all that high an opinion of her. She's big on looks, but she's an idealogue as much as Hannity is and I wouldn't count her as all that intelligent. Now, I'm not saying South Carolina dumb, but she showed her stupid during the campaign trail and since.

There should be no sacred cows in comedy, least of all when a politician or their family is concerned.

I have to agree with the posters from before; for God's sake people, get over yourselves. It's people like you who are raping America's freedoms by imposing moral strictures on everything and writing letters/creating campaigns against entire modes of thought because they conflict with your moralities.

Which only goes to support my growing disdain for humanity, and it's subsequent undeserving nature to continue living.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Everyone is still pulling the ''14 year old daughter joke'' argument.

For everyone that's still using it, I provide this quote from the article. (Which others have brought up before mind you)

But an even more disturbing fact, which Letterman may not have known, was that the daughter who accompanied Palin on her trip to New York was 14-year-old Willow — not 18-year-old Bristol, the unwed mother of Palin's first grandchild.

Now does anyone have proof that he actually meant Willow? No, so he might've mistaken in one way or another.

I wouldn't be surprised if her younger daughter is having sex at this time as well though, though some say the average age most have sex is around 17, I know enough people that have done so, or have tried to do so, at 14. (Of course this was with people that were around the same age.)

[edit on 11/6/09 by -0mega-]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

You're absolutely right! My mistake. There are just so many Palin children being exploited at every turn by all sides, I got them confused.

They should leave her alone as well.

Originally posted by -0mega-
I wouldn't be surprised if her younger daughter is having sex at this time as well though,
Okay, that's just wrong.

[edit on 11/6/2009 by kosmicjack]

[edit on 11/6/2009 by kosmicjack]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Seriously...who cares?

Letterman said himself that he meant Bristol. And he pretty much apologized as well, for something he probably didn't even write himself. He is just doing his job so stop slamming the guy. And you people still can't forgive him for something I don't think he should even apologize for.

I hate when people try to censor comedy. He wasn't trying to attack anyone. If a stand-up comedian such as Dave Chappelle made a similar joke I don't think this would be a huge news story. Comedy isn't suppose to have limits or taste.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Really? Would it have been just as funny if he said the same thing about obama's wife an children? The answer is no, their would be demands that letterman be taken off the air. This double standard the press has is getting old.

reply to post by tothetenthpower

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Funny how now it is only offensive because it is a republican.

good ol double standard.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-
Everyone is still pulling the ''14 year old daughter joke'' argument.

Now does anyone have proof that he actually meant Willow? No, so he might've mistaken in one way or another.

So you don't believe that someone doing a show for millions of people should worry about getting facts straight?

Willow was at the game, not Bristol. Seems like the burden of truth should be on the one making the joke and not the other way around.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Funny how now it is only offensive because it is a republican.

good ol double standard.

I remember when Chlesea Clinton was called ugly.

double standard indeed....

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

Maybe, but the republicans would be laughing their a** off.
At least everyone agrees its wrong. (I hope)
Its ironic, usually the repubs only have a sense of humor
when its putting someone else down,
i.e. 'n-word' jokes, pollocks, environmentalists, etc, etc.
but mention a rightwinger joke and they go nuts.
Proves who has the God given true sense of humor
and who has a self induced ego trip about life in general.
But, hey no one is perfect, including Letterman.
Lighten up everyone. Enjoy the soap(s)!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
All this over something someone said?

LOL No wonder our constituion is blatently being ripped to shreds, people don't care for it anymore.

Can't be angry.
Can't tell of an experience.
Can't tell a joke.

Is that a 3 strikes, you're out kinds thing? Is this baseball, god I hope not. I actually like some skits on comedy central.

Letterman said something. That girl knew damn well that she could have used a condom/contraceptive, not to mention what can be done after the fact, if she didn't want to face the inevitable 'lewd' remarks. If she didn't, then, yes, Letterman should not have been focusing on the girls ignorance, he should have focused on the parent's idiocy.

Not being able to handle a joke clearly calls for you not listening to the 'idiot' telling the joke. Not being able to handle being called names clearly calls for you to go see a psychologist - that's exactly what they do at work every single day.

My constitution is greater than your beliefs, sorry.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Wonder if anyone would comment if a comedian made a joke about Malia or Natasha getting pregnant from a staff member at the White House?

Probably not. Right?

We all know nothing was said about Imus' joke, right?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by shanerz

Letterman said something. That girl knew damn well that she could have used a condom/contraceptive, not to mention what can be done after the fact, if she didn't want to face the inevitable 'lewd' remarks. If she didn't, then, yes, Letterman should not have been focusing on the girls ignorance, he should have focused on the parent's idiocy.

Letterman....like yourself, should do a little research. Bristol Palin WAS NOT at the ball game. 14 year old Willow Palin was. What did this 14 year old do to deserve the "lewd" comments?

[edit on 11-6-2009 by RRconservative]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasputin13

I aplogize, but again you said she was intelligent, and did not make an idiot out of herself? You are wrong friend.

If you look at one of my previous posts you will see why.

She was fooled by two Canadians into thinking she was talking to the French Prime Minister, that's not making an idiot out of yourself?

She couln't answer the simple question of what the Vice President did, that's not making an idiot out of yourself? Especially when asked on five different occasions, and she answered wrong on all of them.

I'm not here to argue that Palin is good mother, or she's fit for government, perhaps tha comment was a bit off topic, but regardless of the fact, people are making this into a huge issue, over nothing.

He said a joke, and he's obviously apologized for it, and said he didn''t mean the 14 year old. Stop being a bunch of prudes, it's a sex joke. And no, kids are NOT off limits, this is Hollywood in the 21st century folks, you wanted freedom of speech, then defend it when it comes along.

~Keeper

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join