It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Letterman Slammed For Sex Jokes About Palin's Teen Daughter

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
If Rush or Sean made a joke about some liberals kid all the conservatives would be saying "It's a joke, whats the big deal"

hypocrite much?

[edit on 10-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
How is this ATS newsworthy?

A late night television show saying something offensive... wow the conspiracies abound..

If people watched less of these pointless shows, there would be nothing to quote.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Stormdancer777

And there is nothing wrong with not getting the joke, or thinking it was over the line.

That's fine, I personally don't think it was that funny, he could have gone without that one. But the media and everybody else should not make this into a big deal.

Nobody goes to Michael Jackson's aid when they made all the jokes about him. I'm just irrated of the general demeanor of the public and sensationalist stories.

~Keeper

OH?

I don't know why but that made me laugh.

I feel sorry for all of us, tothetenthpower,

This is a sad day when we are debating the right or wrong, of the attacking an innocent child on prime time TV.

Here's the thing, it isn't really about the kid, he hates what the mother stands for.

This is his platform.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

sadly, heh, I get David Letterman's jokes. Heh. That's a weakness in me that my wife often rails against. No. Not Letterman's jokes, but my ability to enjoy them and make my own jokes like his. lol.
Okay. Sarah Palin jokes are on the table. She entered the discussion. No longer just a bystander, she became a national, yes, international player. Nobody is off limits for such stuff. Her daughter however? Um.........while I wouldn't personally make a joke about her, heh, like this,...ummmmmmmmm, I'd do her. Heh. Yeah, off limits. Except she entered into the spotlight by her appearance on TV speaking out for abstinance. She's now a player. She is fair game. And so is her baby daddy, cuz he entered the spotlight. If a parent brings up a child into the national converastion, I am pretty much set on ignoring the child. Just to not be a prick. And, yes, I know people will bring up other people's children, like when Cheney was in an debate. I found all to be despicable.
But when said child enters into the fray on their own, then, no holds barred.

However, why did Letterman even think he needed to bring up Sarah Palin now? Or her offspring? Surely he can find enough material concerning the present government figures, Eh? Jay Leno's writers can find it, why can't Letterman's writers find such things? Oh, that's right. Agenda!!!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Well ofcourse she's not a slut, she made a mistake, but people are going to laugh at her expense. Even if she wasn't famous there is somebody in Alaska making fun of her right now.

It is sad isn't it?

She must be a pretty strong young women.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The business side of things dictate that this 'Letterman' character tells the jokes that the network-approved 'joke writers' provide.

It doesn't really matter what he says as long as the network gets it's advertising revenue. business is business....
Ignore it and it will go away.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

However, why did Letterman even think he needed to bring up Sarah Palin now? Or her offspring? Surely he can find enough material concerning the present government figures, Eh? Jay Leno's writers can find it, why can't Letterman's writers find such things? Oh, that's right. Agenda!!!!!

Yup

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Slightly OT but...

Does anyone else notice the hand signs and sigil's Letterman uses?

Many of them seem very similar to different signs that are displayed whilst obtaining masonic degrees.

One he always does is identical to the Master Mason Sign where they elluse having their bowles cut out and burned and ashes spread the four winds if they ever disclose the secrets of Masonry.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

This is a sad day when we are debating the right or wrong, of the attacking an innocent child on prime time TV.

Innocent child?

Bristol Palin is 18, which means in the U.S. she is considered an adult. She's also a mother, which is very obviously what the joke was referring to.

It was done in really bad taste. Letterman will probably lose some ratings over it. End of story. He's not a pervert, he's not waging a political war, the joke wasn't even that dirty. You should see some of the stuff they get away with on late night TV.

Just a bad joke, that's all it was.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Simply disgusting!

Willow Palin is only 14 years old. To suggest or even joke about someone that young "getting knocked up" is disgusting.

A 62 year old man going after a 14 year old girl....ugh....he is no better than a high school bully.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Innocent child?

Bristol Palin is 18, which means in the U.S. she is considered an adult.

FYI Bristol Palin DID NOT attend the game. 14 year old Willow Palin did. Does that change your view?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Kids should be off-limits. Letterman is one of the worst TV hosts. I wonder how he would like t if someone would make dirty jokes about his child on national TV?

Especially when it turns to sex jokes about underaged teenaged children. This guy needs some serious counseling.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by jd140

I'm not defending Letterman, I'm defending his right to say whatever he wants, and not have it blown out of proportion because of prudes.

~Keeper

Well go right ahead.

I have been called many things, but prude has never been one of them. This was an uncalled for attack that wasn't funny. It shouldn't be defended and I would say that he should apologize, but it wouldn't be a real apology.

I am still at a loss for the reason you are posting in this thread if you really don't care for the guy or what he says.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
God people never cease to amaze me.

Why do people get offended so easily?

There are bigger things at work here!

I can barely walk down the street with my green hair anymore. Someone might get offended.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative

FYI Bristol Palin DID NOT attend the game. 14 year old Willow Palin did. Does that change your view?

If he specifically stated he was talking about the 14 year old, or even went as far as to mention that she was the particular daughter attending the game, then it might.

However, Letterman probably didn't know that. In fact looking at the article it says he might not have realized. He didn't specifically mention which daughter, so I think it's pretty fair to assume he meant the one that's already been in the news for being pregnant.

Again, the joke was in bad taste. I don't watch Letterman myself, so I don't know if he usually does jokes like that, or if it was a rare miss. Either way, its not a good reason to jump all over the guy.

EDIT: Stormdancer thank you for posting that; it basically confirms everything I just said.

[edit on 10-6-2009 by drwizardphd]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

They hated her becaue she was not some brainwashed elitist. She was a well educated, plain spoken mother with a special needs child. She is attractive, without trying to be sexy or slutt. Basically she's the mom next door, who has conservative values, believes in fiscal responisbility, and does her job to the best of her ability.
I also believe the extreme left hated her because of Christian beleifs. And her daughter is not the first to be raised in a loving Christian home and get pregnant. It happens.
I am sick and tired of David Letterman and Bill Mahr taking potshots at the Govenor's daughter. The govenor is fair game, she's a public figure. But the children (and in my opinion, the spouse) is off limits.
I would challenge either one of these idiots to sit down and talk one on one with her, and then air it unedited. I daresay they would both be shamed but their performance against her.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
On Topic People!!!!

Personal messages do NOT belong in thread...

Semper

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
The problem with the whole situation is Letterman does not write hardly any of his own jokes.

They are written for him, and he recites them.. as most TV show "comedians" do.

I suspect the writer who flubbed this one will be talked to, not only was it a lame joke... he did not even know which daughter was at the ballgame. Had it been the 18 y/o daughter instead of the 14 y/o.. there would not have been as big of a backlash.

Letterman is guilty of reading it... but not creating it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join