It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Israeli Likud Party Voters Say NO to Gaza Pullout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
According to Israeli Radio, Ariel Sharon's Likud party rejected his plans today to pull Israel out of Gaza. The projections are: defeat at 58-42 percent, Channel Two at 56-44 percent and Channel One at 62-38 percent.

ABCNews.com

Sharon vows to continue pullout in spite of the voting results.

It would seem that the Israeli people do not want to give in to terrorism, However this vote was only involving the Likud party which Sharon heads. The Likud party vote here on this issue speaks for only about 2% of the population of Israel if I am correct.

This could all spell the end for Sharon as PM if indeed he is losing the support of his own party.

I believe the conflict in Israel is tied to the overall war on terrorism and to the peace and security of the world.

Related Stories:
Reuters
FT.com

[Edited on 2-5-2004 by Banshee]

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This is going to make life very interesting in Israel and could lead to the downfall of Sharon's Likud government. The vast majority of Israeli's would like to pull out of Gaza. There's well over a million Palestinians living there compared to 7,500 Israelis. It's a big expense and a big security headache. And, while they want out, the ultra conservative Likud don't want to be in a position of looking weak to the Palestinians. IMO this is why Sharon lost the vote today.

The Palestinians don't want the Israelis to pull out to soon either. It will leave a vacumn that the Palestinian Authority will not be able to cope with.

This is a real quandary and God only knows how it's going to turn out. If the stakes weren't so high I'd be LMAO.

[Edited on 2-5-2004 by CommonSense]

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
BTW, I believe the referendum was only voted on by Likud members. That, and because it was just a referendum, is why Sharon can ignore it. If it included all Israelis I think the pull out vote would have been much, much higher.

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
This is indeed an interesting development. Reuters is reporting 60/40 vote, this is a strong no from his party. Yes he could ignore it, but it would mean his downfall. I think the next couple of days will be quite hectic in the erea.
We will have to wait and see... Maybe Sharon's next move will be to take out Arrafat, or something else to look tough? It's going to get hot, in my thinking.

[Edited on 2-5-2004 by Hoaks]

posted on May, 2 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
IMO, if he takes Arafat out, he may as well take himself out. Stop! Let's think about this! That may be the best thing for the region!

Short of that good news, if he takes Arafat out, look out! We're talking stuff of global proportion. Darn, the concrete in my bunker in Michigan hasn't fully cured yet!

Not good my cyber friends! Not good!

new topics

top topics

join