It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Weapons Q's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
When I was in Hiroshima for the anniversary of the atomic explosion, a flyer was handed out with some rather difficult questions related to nuclear weapons.
I cant remember them all, but id like to know what some of the smarties from ATS think. Afterall, its the only place I know where a reasonable answers are given from all different points of view
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bc5e5742a6aa.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d7c096cc0a3a.jpg[/atsimg]

1. Would the world be safer, if no nuclear weapons existed?
2. Will there ever be a day, where no nuclear weapons exist?
3. Are nuclear weapons the reason, we havent had another world war?
4. Do you think another nuclear weapon will be dropped on a city?
5. Should all states have the right 'to' nuclear weapons?
6. Is there such a thing as 'defensive nuclear weapons'
7. Do nuclear weapons save lives?
8. Would if have better for the USA to firebomb and invade, than drop the bomb on Japan?
9. Should nuclear weapons be completly abolished? or should states be allowed a maximum quota, ie 5.
10. WITHOUT googling, how many nuclear tests have been performed throughout the world?

[edit on 10-6-2009 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
No, if no nuclear weapons existed I believe nations would use there strength in numbers and military to invade, knowing full well the best anyone could do is attempt another Normandy style invasion.

Yes, because something superior and instant will come about. But this is a long way off.

3. Are nuclear weapons the reason, we haven’t had another world war?
Yes. Nations aren’t willing to lose all for some land grab. Unless you’re a nuclear POWER, you only go to war in a time of necessity and dire situations.

No, but they will be used against targets of military significance.

If you have the ability to build it, who is any state to deny you the right.

No.

Yes, it means no needless wars, unless of course you’re a nuclear state.

8. Would if have better for the USA to firebomb and invade, than drop the bomb on Japan?
No, dropping the bomb was the right more on Hiroshima. However Nagasaki was a crime.

9. Should nuclear weapons be completely abolished? or should states be allowed a maximum quota, ie 5.
I believe there should be a maximum, say 5 bombs per nation. But, there should be a means test. If you use one wrongfully in a manner resembling an offensive move, you are not entitled to the rest. But, if your attacked and invaded and you use 1, your entitled to replenish your stock.
This though isn’t going to work. Because nations would simply build them in secret.

10. WITHOUT googling, how many nuclear tests have been performed throughout the world?

1200?

[edit on 10-6-2009 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I don't think it would be any safer.
I don't think we will ever see a day with no nuclear weapons unless an more powerful weapon comes along
Nuclear Weapons make you think about going to war.
Anything is possible
If we feel we should have them then why should others not have them.
That would be a matter of opinion
They can stop wars, but if they are used they take lives.
What would your definition of better be. More american lives lost or shorter war.
9. Should nuclear weapons be completly abolished? or should states be allowed a maximum quota, ie 5.
I don't think either would come about.
I'm going to say 62

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Um........nope. It would just mean we would find other ways to kill.

Not in my lifetime, however, yeah, I can see that day, because we will surely find other ways to kill without all the residuals, like nuclear fallout.

Nope. It's just that we haven't had another war using nukes. But if you don't see we ARE in a third world war, then we have no more to talk about, I guess. Oh, well, it's all matter of opinon, yes? I think we are in the midst of a world war.

Yep. Or not dropped. Maybe carried in and set off.

Yes. Why just some? Why not all? After all, we have heard for decades that possession of nukes is a deterent.

6. Is there such a thing as 'defensive nuclear weapons'.

Yes, there are. I served in Greece during the cold war. We oh #, am I in violation of my vow of secrecy? Okay. No comment. Damnit. Damnit. "They" are knocking on my door right now. Crap. That 10 year agreement didn't really mean sh*t.

I think so. I believe the dropping of "Big Man and Little Man" on Japan saved countless lives for American soldiers and also for countless Japanese soldiers and civilians.
But this is just a "one of" situation.
And has never been put to the test again.

Um,............no. Hell, the first bomb didn't cause an immediate surrender. It took a bit for an answer and this resulted in another drop at Nagasaki.

Actually, in opposition to another answer earlier, yes, I believe no nukes to be the best course of action. Like that could be enforced.LOL. None for all, instead of all for all is the best course of action. But, then, we are really living in the real world, aren't we? So all for all.

No google use here, nor bing! Hmmmmmmmmm...... about 9,033? Just guessing.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
No, because then how do you fight them aliens?

No.

No, the next world war is coming.

Yep. I'm thinking next is Israel nuking the middle east.. as long as they beat North Korea to the punchline.

Absolutely. Then that stops all the wars right away. No purpose in preemptively attacking folks if they're going to nuke you.

Nuclear weapons are the ultimate defense. Of course.

Of course, because they keep countries and the ones that control them in check. No one does anything silly.

They could have left it all alone, too, so Japan didn't do their Pearl Harbor stuff.

If you completely abolish nuclear weapons, then the secret nuclear weapons states just preemptively attack. When them aliens see nothing happening, they've got to make something happen. They've got to destroy the planet and control you.

Google only gives you the known nuclear tests. Since there's the known and unknown, no one would know if I got this question right.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I am 'sure' there are worse weapons now that we know about nukes.

Yes, and perhaps no humans also.

3. Are nuclear weapons the reason, we haven’t had another world war?
Possibly. but that is 'old world' politics.

Hopefully no.

If you have the ability to build it, who is any state to deny you the right.

No.

Do guns killl children?

8. Would it have been better for the USA to firebomb and invade, than drop the bomb on Japan?
Better for who?

9. Should nuclear weapons be completely abolished? or should states be allowed a maximum quota, ie 5.
Just ban uranium mining, and think of other options.

Nuclear weapons tests??? 30 or 40?
Was Hiroshima/Nagasaki a test?

Sometimes it's best to leave some things buried until you have the knowledge to deal with them maturely.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Truthfully, I would prefer to live in a nuke-free world but it will not happen. Having certain parties hold those weapons is a balance of powers because no one wants to drop the first bomb and incite retaliatory immolation. Read up on America's Dense Pack system sometime to see how we can remotely continue to fire nukes after the country essentially is toast, things could escalate very quickly.

Plus, how to deal with survivors? Most countries' healthcare systems function poorly and are broke, no way they could care for hundreds of thousands or millions of victims counting collateral damage from radiation poisoning and I would include troops in that because they inevitably would be sent in to do assessments and rescues. Not to mention famine; loss of industrial, agricultural and housing areas, and the loss of internal command and communications systems.

If any of you have the time, pull up a British film called "Threads" on Google videos, it is an excellent watch.

I still say this is why China is siding with the US at this point on North Korea, the last thing they can handle is feeding all of Korea in addition to their own country.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I have a question...

I have a friend who keeps banging on about a theory that says nukes can only be detonated on certain energy lines around the earth.

Has anyone else heard of this?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by afaik

No, they need is a detonating device. I think what your friend may be referring to is that if you detonate a warhead at certain high altitudes and strategic sites you can destroy communication satellites and the power grid.

Back in the Cold War era (the 1970s) we were told in school that a warning sign of a strike was that all automobile engines and electrical appliances would suddenly fail. You can imagine the panic when the power went out! I still hate power outages!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I agree with Agit8dchop except for the following;
#-6 there are defensive nuclear weapon they are called tactical nukes.

#-8 It was not a crime because word came back from Japan that they though the first Bomb was a one only one shot and could not be repeated.

#-9 You are not taking into account the size of the Bomb. ie. If one country had 5- 5 megaton bombs and one country had one 50 megaton
( which Russia has) the country with the 50 megatons wins. You need to study more about nuclear weapon. especially Hydrogen bombs. One- 50 megaton could take out all of california and a good part of Arizona, Neveda, and Oregon. 5-5 magaton bombs would only take out about a third of california. Nuclear bombs are so well refined now days that is is not so much the size of the bomb but more about what type of Radiation it releases.
These are all moot points because the bomb is here and is not going away anytime soon...........................KMG

[edit on 11-6-2009 by kissmygrits]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
OK I am going to bite

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

No before Nuclear Weapons there were two world wars .

Yeah until a more powerful weapon is invented .

In part the nature of warfare has changed as has the cultural that led to the mass enlistments during two world wars .

Its very possible that terrorists could use a nuke as a WMD . I don't think that Cold War fears of ICBMs hitting a city are going to be realized .

No .

At one stage Cold War thinking was that in the event Soviet and Warsaw Pact forces invaded Western Europe Nato forces would hang defencelessly until tactical nukes were used against the invaders . I have heard of Nuclear Depth Chargers . So at the tactical level my answer would be yes .

Well they saved plenty of allied lives when the invasion of Japan was prevented .

No . The drooping of the atomic bombs was undoubtedly the right call .

None of the above . Disarmament only allows your enemy to to gain an advantage of you . Good luck policing any quota .

To be honest that question could even be a bit much for google . An old fashion visit to a library could be required to answer that one .

[edit on 11-6-2009 by xpert11]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
--There would be a lot more conventional wars and chemical/biological warfare would be a more potent threat. People are very commited to killing each other.

--The day after the Balloon goes and the all either been fired or fired at?

--MAD. Mutally Assured Destruction works.

--Dropped. No. Detonated in a city? Yes, there are a lot of extremists out there.

--No.
--Since it's in quotes, I guess nuclear artillery and nuclear landmines (backpack nukes) would qualify. Tac nukes, which one poster responded with, are limited offensive weapons.

--Did the USSR invade Western Europe?

--Fire-bombing Japanese cities would have cost millions of Japanese lives and left the entire nation as shattered as Europe. The second bomb was excessive, especially since I have been lead to believe it mainly because the US wanted to test a plutonium bomb vs. a uranium bomb.

--It'll never happen any conjecture would be pure fantasy.

--Around 2500.

top topics

join