It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge paradigm shift in 1990?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
This is a very interesting discussion indeed. Big ups to the OP.

I do agree that a paradigm shift occured long before the 21st century again. Some people call this the "postmodern age," but there are obviously varying definitions to what "postmondernity" is. I will call it "postmodern" simply for the lack of a better term.

If you ask me, however, this paradigm shift of sorts began not in 1990, but back in 1975. Now, there is a world of difference between life in the mid-to-late 1970s and life in the late 2000s. However, as the OP noted, I feel as though 1975 was a time when we turned a corner as a society. The more things change, the more commonalities I find between our time and the mid-to-late 1970s. I feel like this was truly the time when "old" thought really began to give way to more progressive ideals. More than thought, however, it exhibited itself in more mundane ways.

For example, if you watch television commercials of then versus now, you see the roots of the contemporary television commercial. It was also the time when the personal computer was born, so in existence was the idea that we as individuals could harness a significant amount of technology that would change the way we live. Contrary to what we may believe, much of what we consider commonplace now had its genesis in the 1970s. Computer/video games became common. Television broadcasting became very similar. Military technology entered a more high-tech era.

This is all a little complicted to explain succinctly, but my point is the paradigm shift, in my mind, began in 1975, the year the Vietnam War ended.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
From my perspective there was a huge paradigm shift that began in the 1960's--cultural, social, political. To me the 80's through the first years of the 21st century were regressive. The former hippies, who began the cultural revolution, put on business suits, bought houses in the suburbs and generally embraced the corporate culture they had dropped out of when they were young. It was a materialistic society in which idealism and the things that had given meaning to earlier generations became meaningless. Narcissism and consumerism were the reigning philosophies. Postmodernism is still the paradigm, but I see it beginning to shift in very recent years.

The emerging new generation is embracing ideals that have been scorned by their elders for decades. But then, they are children of the 90's, so the change did have its seeds then.

The recent political sea change, spearheaded in large part by young people, is just the beginning of what is to come.

I feel very optimistic about the future, and about our young people in particular.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias

I feel very optimistic about the future, and about our young people in particular.

How young exactly?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
As others have said already I think this is basically the 1987 convergance. Do you guys think the same will happen in 2012, it will take a year or two before we start properly noticing the difference, or will it be a full on thing?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic23
As others have said already I think this is basically the 1987 convergance. Do you guys think the same will happen in 2012, it will take a year or two before we start properly noticing the difference, or will it be a full on thing?

I think 2012 is already happening, it will be spread out over the late 00s, early 10s ... just as 1987 began a shift in consciousness that peaked in 1990 and lasted up to about 1994...

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
bump!

just think this is a really important topic, especially now that we are 20 years into the "90s age".

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join