It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Huge paradigm shift in 1990?

page: 2
27
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Since we're all comparing notes on our experiences at the time and its societal relationships, I'll chip in too. The late 80's, 89 I believe I found myself in jail, trespassing. Long story.

Early 90's I pulled myself up by my own bootstraps so to speak, and poured forth all my energy at making a future for myself and my descendants. I mean literally, everything I had went to betterment of my future. I was single, no kids, and I literally worked, schooled, dated, sometimes for 72 hours straight with no sleep. No, I didn't drug, except coffee. By the time I graduated college in 93, I was dating my future wife.
It was a frantic number of years, and I still feel the aftereffects of it in my body's health today. But how does this relate to this thread?

Well, interestingly, it seemed at the time, that it was a sense that historically, my family needed rebuilding. My ancestors were all soldiers (back to the American revolution, beyond that, no records ), I was not. Consequently, this lead to a very crazy childhood for us. From a society standpoint, and projecting into the future of my desendants, I felt powerfully that it was the thing to do.

Nowadays, I don't feel like the job is yet complete. I have since gotten it into my head that a form of sanctuary/retreat must be made available for my desendants, or all that I have done before will have been wasted. What any of that means to the society at large is anyone's guess. My opinion is that what I do follows a sort of cultural consciousness of sorts. I see many people doing similar things. Lots of consolidation, reignition of relationships ( facebook anyone? ), gathering of resources. What does our group consciousness tell us is going to happen?



PG




posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
It is post-modern society.
It is crazy to see how much changed between the 80s and 90s...I remember when MTV wouldn't play the song "big butts" till after 9pm...in the 90s they began playing rap music with half naked chiks all afternoon.
We have become more individualistic, more self serving and selfish... the family and values and ethics have taken a back seat.
Political Correctness has become the new ethical standard...who cares if you bang your secretary while your wife is away with the kids, as long as you are PC, and now also, as long as you are 'green', then you are ok, you are a good person at heart.
What will the next few decades bring? I don't think ethics values and the family will be propped back up anytime soon



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko
 


Jesus christ almighty mate - its not wirth a whole thread. Its a simple idea - one amongst trillions - accept that and dont be so enamoured with the shock of awakening on such mundaneness - there is bigger fish to fry -

Have you at least looked at Francis Fukiyama like i said in the post that inspired this thread ?



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Spot on. Though the causes would be REALLY interesting. I think the UK/US relationships in popular culture (Beavis & Butthead, Nirvana, Oasis, Rave Music, Rise of ecstasy pills etc) have proven to pull mainstream thinking into a more progressive mindset. Also the rise on windows programmes contributed to firstly everyone becoming familiar with PCs and the web, and now to the modern day Youtube generation.

Couple all this with the back-end of a prolonged recession (tame by today's standards) and slump in western manufacturing and you have a huge cultural shift that has kept people on heir backsides and demanding more in less time (instant messaging, instant noodles, high speed broadband), so much so that people, clearly, don't know how to save money (ahem, recession/financial crisis built upon uncontrollable bad debt)... there's lots of consequences of teh shift you mention.

Excellent post - S&F.



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Ya know, I have to totally agree with you because I have felt the same, It's not so much that the 21st century began in 1990, because of course, it didn't, but a different kind of century, or dawning, began in 1990. I really think it was the start of "when knowledge is increased" has the Bible says. I think 1990 was the start of freeing the mind, 911 was the start of restricting the body (of Christ) and soon we will enter the start of the time of the spirit (conscience) awakening, especially when Maitreya announces his emergence.

Great post!



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
SIGNIFICANT MAYAN CALENDAR DATES

Meditating on the following dates will attune your consciousness to the flow of evolutionary creation:

Dec. 3, 2004 Beginning of Fourth Day: New consciousness, intuition re-emerges

June 1, 2005 Midpoint of Fourth Day

Nov. 28, 2005 Beginning of Fourth Night: Bridge-building to consciousness expansion

May 27, 2006 Midpoint of Fourth Night

Nov. 23, 2006 Beginning of Fifth Day: Budding, breakthrough

May 22, 2007 Midpoint of Fifth Day

Nov. 18, 2007 Beginning of Fifth Night: Destruction, challenge

May 16, 2008 Midpoint of Fifth Night

Nov. 12, 2008 Beginning of Sixth Day: Flowering, renaissance

May 11, 2009 Midpoint of Sixth Day

Nov. 7, 2009 Beginning of Sixth Night: Resting and fine-tuning

May 6, 2010 Midpoint of Sixth Night

Nov. 2, 2010 Beginning of Seventh Day: Bliss

May 1, 2011 Midpoint of Seventh Day

Oct. 28, 2011 Completion of Seventh Day: Oneness with all creation

www.astroalchemy.com...

[edit on 11-6-2009 by knell1906]



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I started noticing mass change in 1995, the year Windows 95 came out. Woohoo! What a shift that was. I think paradigm changes are a matter of individual perspective. I'm sure many could make an argument that things started changing in 2001 or 1999 or any other year within recent history.



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko
 


That is a nice thread that seeks questions about changes in human society through our recent time line.
Awareness of what surrounds us, especially about such elusive issues as changing and transformation of a society and the realization of what has changed requires a bit of genius.
Probably such questions wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the World Wide Web because of the large amount of data and information that makes available to everyone, something that was not possible in any time of our history before.

However it is not the only tool that we humans slowly were accustomed to used in the recent decades to acquire information for the world around us. The TV also played a huge role.
Before the adoption of the internet from a huge part of the human society, which only recently has reached satisfactory levels much of the rapid changes of in society must be attributed to the TV.

Internet now too plays the huge role TV used to play in our lives but the way we still use it somehow seems wrong or not efficient because we are still accustomed to still consume our TeleVision style of acquiring information.

What changed the human society in reality is not what we used as a means to deliver information but what we used as a strategy to do this.
SEX
and
POWER.
Everything that has been shoved down to our throats, had been advertised, marketed and produced in the recent decades revolves around these two words, yet surprisingly we can find ourselves holding back like there is or was some other ideal model of society that didn't involve, marketing and constant advertising of SEX and POWER. Now therefore it seems that there is something more powerful than SEX and POWER, and it is the primary thing most people use the internet for, even if they are still accustomed to the old themes brought from the TV. That thing is KNOWLEDGE.
Somehow we seem back on the right track but our ways of doing things, or if you prefer, the attributes that seem to make human society what it is are somehow lacking at some aspects. Sometimes it feels that we just "ain't got what it takes" to both make a meaningful technological evolution and at the same time keep our ways of lives balanced. A balanced way of life would have as an example a society that has acquired knowledge of space travel and use it for profit and exploration YET it can find itself using very humble means of doing everyday chores, like walking to our jobs or preparing food for our loved ones with our own hands. Hopefully, nature made it so that such an approach to our everyday living is beneficiary in more ways that anyone would have time to point out and so much valuable that technology simply could never substitute unless the need for those everyday chores had disappeared entirely because we would have changed somehow been transformed to another level of existence along with our own environment.

We might someday discover other civilizations that may severely lack abilities we thought of us necessary prerequisites and yet they might be performing wonderfully as a space society because they might have learned their limitations and how to strike a balance with themselves and the environment. We might be mistakenly perceive those as geniuses.

There has to be a clear paradigm of what we can do and why will we do this, for us to go forward as a society. If we just continue doing things like the way we do, taking in regard the level of our current technological level of progress and especially the way we are abusing it, simply there is no chance for us to go to the next step and cross the barrier of time and space to the next level that our civilization is striving to expand.

Things have to change. Everyone is feeling that a change is needed. The problem is that everyone expects an outside force, apart from themselves to bring the balance and wisdom we need in our lives in order for us to positively move forward but this is like we are asking the Universe to bring about a catastrophe because this is the only way the Universe can cater to our demands. we have been given the tools to change our lives for the better, it is time to make this realization and start using them.

Yes, in the 80's we used to read articles and books about how in the 21st century we would be conquering space and our everyday activities would revolve around that, but somehow along the way our vanity took hold of our everyday lives forcing us to a meaningless race to acquire what had been advertised to us which is POWER and SEX through comfort and technology just for the sake of it. Many things got lost along the way in such a few decades.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by spacebot]



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clark Savage Jr.
Interesting topic. Well thought out. Star and flag.


My opinion on the subject is that, while the year 1990 and the years directly following did in fact contain interesting events, a much more dramatic example of any 'paradigm'shift( new age-speak for rapid social/cultural changes?) would have to be the period from 1963 onward to the early 1970's.




Hmmmm. Interesting point.

Actually though, i think the changes that people wanted in the '60s came by the early '90s. That breakdown of civilization.



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation


Oh, and there was no Emo in the 90's. I really, really, really, really, REALLY miss there not being an Emo scene.



Lol, but emo is still kind of 90s isn't it? after all, you had goth and pop punk in the 90s, the two ingredients of emo.



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousMoose
It is post-modern society.
It is crazy to see how much changed between the 80s and 90s...I remember when MTV wouldn't play the song "big butts" till after 9pm...in the 90s they began playing rap music with half naked chiks all afternoon.
We have become more individualistic, more self serving and selfish... the family and values and ethics have taken a back seat.
Political Correctness has become the new ethical standard...who cares if you bang your secretary while your wife is away with the kids, as long as you are PC, and now also, as long as you are 'green', then you are ok, you are a good person at heart.
What will the next few decades bring? I don't think ethics values and the family will be propped back up anytime soon


baby got back is actually from 1992 ... yes i think around 1996 or so, pop culture got much more lenient in what kind of obscene material was acceptable ... there is no way South Park could have started even in 1994.



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TailoredVagabond
Spot on. Though the causes would be REALLY interesting. I think the UK/US relationships in popular culture (Beavis & Butthead, Nirvana, Oasis, Rave Music, Rise of ecstasy pills etc) have proven to pull mainstream thinking into a more progressive mindset. Also the rise on windows programmes contributed to firstly everyone becoming familiar with PCs and the web, and now to the modern day Youtube generation.

Couple all this with the back-end of a prolonged recession (tame by today's standards) and slump in western manufacturing and you have a huge cultural shift that has kept people on heir backsides and demanding more in less time (instant messaging, instant noodles, high speed broadband), so much so that people, clearly, don't know how to save money (ahem, recession/financial crisis built upon uncontrollable bad debt)... there's lots of consequences of teh shift you mention.

Excellent post - S&F.


There hasn't really been a big change since the early '90s either ... just a continuation of the same changes.



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko
 


Good post and yes I think there major transition started then, or was it the final climatic the end of the 20th century? I anticipate a very large revolution in sciences and politics coming very soon and lasting for around 30-50 years.

 


Also to the poster who said that a century in the ad era is 21 100 year terms, yes but you forget that year zero- one hundred is counted as the first century, if not for that this really would be the 20th century technically speaking.



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Yeah, I've always felt I had a 'Year Zero' 1990. When I think back to then there is definitely a clear 'before and after'. My attitude to life, music, art and culture in general completely changed. It must be said that in te UK at that time there was the emergence of the Acid House scene in music and clubs that involved the consumption of Ecstasy and '___' while dancing all night to strange electronic music with strangers who soon became friends, which without a shadow of doubt had a massive effect on folk involved in this scene (and yes, including myself!). I look back on that time with a sense of happiness, optimism and joy, perhaps a little nieve but a far cry from what we are faced with theses days.



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I think it would be interesting to know the ages of the people in this topic. I can almost bet that most of you are are about my age (27).

I hated the 80's. I loved the 90's and thought that (and still feel this way) that there was a radical shift in thinking during "my" era. Nothing before or after can hold a torch to the 90's in my opinion. I still wear my jeans until there are so many holes and rips in them that they are not even suitable as shop rags. The only shoes I own are black docs and plain black thong flip flops. My mp3 player is filled with nothing but 90's music of the non-pop variety.

My sister was a child of the 80's. She hates the 70's and thinks the style and culture of the 90's was awful and self serving (much the same way that I veiw the current culture). Up until recently, she still had a hairstyle that resembled a mullet.


My mother-in-law was a hippy and thinks that society as a whole has become morons and she longs for the culture of her day. You can tell she was a hippy by the way she dresses.

My point is that everyone is going to have their own prejudices about which decade was more enlightened based on which decade was their "heyday", as it were. There has always been a "cult of the glorious past" and that "glorious past" has always been subjective.


[edit on 6/11/2009 by glitch88 - Smileys won't play nice]

[edit on 6/11/2009 by glitch88]



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by glitch88
I think it would be interesting to know the ages of the people in this topic. I can almost bet that most of you are are about my age (27).

I hated the 80's. I loved the 90's and thought that (and still feel this way) that there was a radical shift in thinking during "my" era. Nothing before or after can hold a torch to the 90's in my opinion. I still wear my jeans until there are so many holes and rips in them that they are not even suitable as shop rags. The only shoes I own are black docs and plain black thong flip flops. My mp3 player is filled with nothing but 90's music of the non-pop variety.

My sister was a child of the 80's. She hates the 70's and thinks the style and culture of the 90's was awful and self serving (much the same way that I veiw the current culture). Up until recently, she still had a hairstyle that resembled a mullet.


My mother-in-law was a hippy and thinks that society as a whole has become morons and she longs for the culture of her day. You can tell she was a hippy by the way she dresses.

My point is that everyone is going to have their own prejudices about which decade was more enlightened based on which decade was their "heyday", as it were. There has always been a "cult of the glorious past" and that "glorious past" has always been subjective.


[edit on 6/11/2009 by glitch88 - Smileys won't play nice]

[edit on 6/11/2009 by glitch88]


I'm 19 actually. I was BORN in 1990, and I have always noticed that the time I was born was a big divide for reasons other than my personal perspective.



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
disillusionment. the generation before trusted it's leaders. kids of the 60's have kids that are teenagers by 1990. in order to maintain cohesion, many families had to experience a 'paradigm shift' or dissolve. (would be my guess.) out with the old, in with the new.

i don't know about the century starting 10 years early though... i mean in the late 1800's there is technology and cultural activity that points to what the 1900's would bring. most people had no clue that we would be launching ships into space within the next 100 years, but a few did have the vision to realize that it was coming.

look at the way a trend starts in pop culture. usually the trendsetter is someone apart from the flock, a leader. that person may even be ostracized, or ridiculed for the idea or style that will become all the rage within a few years. same goes in the scientific community, corporate world, politics...

in the 50's there seemed to be a consensus that we would all have flying cars and jet packs by year 2000. missed the mark on that one.

if anything we are behind. even when social change is prodded by legislature it still takes decades to come full circle. you can't stop progress, but you sure as hell can slow it down. two steps forward, one step back seems to be the pace.



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by gravykraken
disillusionment. the generation before trusted it's leaders. kids of the 60's have kids that are teenagers by 1990. in order to maintain cohesion, many families had to experience a 'paradigm shift' or dissolve. (would be my guess.) out with the old, in with the new.






exactly. 1990 was a direct product of the '60s. the '70s and '80s were too close to the '50s for the changes to become apparent.



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko
 


Actually, Emo originated all the way back in the 80's. The big difference between Emo in the 80's and Emo in the 90's was that it stayed in obscurity where it rightfully belongs. ;-)



posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
reply to post by Donnie Darko
 


Actually, Emo originated all the way back in the 80's. The big difference between Emo in the 80's and Emo in the 90's was that it stayed in obscurity where it rightfully belongs. ;-)


Yes. and what was called Emo then was a far cry from Fall Out Boy and The Used.



new topics

top topics



 
27
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join