It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New GM chairman: 'I don't know anything about cars'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

New GM chairman: 'I don't know anything about cars'

rawstory.com

The new chairman of General Motors is already under fire.

Edward Whitacre, a former AT&T hotshot whose long corporate career has been touted as an example of his big-business prowess, delivered a rather startling comment to a Bloomberg reporter on Tuesday — saying he knows nothing about the auto industry.

“I don’t know anything about cars,” Whitacre said. “A business is a business, and I think I can learn about cars. I’m not that old, and I think the business principles are the same.”

He added that he thinks running the company — which recently became effectively a property of the US government - is a public service .
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-6-2009 by Max_TO]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
What ??? Is it just me or does this not seem right ?

I have felt for a while now that a lot of these companies being bought by the Fed. will in time be sold for pennies to countries willing to pay , such as China . Stories such as this only reaffirm my belief .

So as a part owner in GM just how does this make you feel ?

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Not knowing about cars is different to not knowing about an industry, though.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Not sure about this one. On one hand I think the guy should know about cars but on the other hand, I think he has a point.

It is still a business and his job will be to take the advice of the people he works with to make the best decisions for the company. Kinda like the President who is not an expert in economics, labor, housing, diplomacy, foreign affairs, military, or many other areas.

This guy could anticipate things by thinking outside of the box. IMO, if he listens to the consumers needs, he will come out ahead.

BTW, How did the former guys, who did know things about cars, run GM over the past years?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
At this point a mentally deranged puppy might do better than the previous management. I don't think anything will really save this corporation. They'll probably just be dismantled for parts and insfrastructure and sold off to other countries' corporations. Classic CEO slash and burn.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
My sources at GM tell me that this man is not going to be the creative or business director of GM operations but is basically just a liason for and to the government.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Yeah if he's just running the company, there is no need to really know about cars.

Id rather he know business and good business at that. The engineers and others of that nature are the ones who need to worry about cars and design.

Then again, this is all a politics issue. You couln't expect the government to hire anybody that was worth their salary now do you?

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
That's really weird. The head of GM doesn't know **** about cars.

Our President's Treasury Secretary doesn't know **** about economics.

Our President doesn't know **** about anything.

Weird.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

There does seem to be a trend forming here doesn't there .

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This is nothing new considering the fact that the douche bag in the Oval Office doesn't know anything about America or the U.S. Constitution. It's been a while now since we have had anybody in a power position in this country that knew what the hell they were doing. The state of our affairs proves me correct.

Also, after working in industry at many levels, I can say with authority that many businesses are [SNIP] up due to the fact that management knows less than the average guy doing the dirty work. If management at least knew some of what the working man knew maybe they would be able to make more intelligent decisions.

Removed censor circumvention

[edit on 10/6/09 by masqua]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I think his philosophy that he's doing a public service is more flawed than the fact that he knows nothing about the nature of his business.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
I think his philosophy that he's doing a public service is more flawed than the fact that he knows nothing about the nature of his business.

There is no need for him to know about cars. He needs to know about business, about people, about managing. He hires people for the other stuff. Like one manager I know says: "By the time it get's to my desk, I had better be the only person that can deal with it."

For those who use this thread to take another poke at your President...shame on you. You're a massive part of the problem. Sit back, do nothing, and point fingers if it doesn't work out.

I recall a time when Americans showed some pride...and if it wasn't the guy they voted for, by God he was still the Commander-in-Chief and worthy of both respect and allegiance.

No damn wonder you're circling the drain...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
If anyone in this country knew anything about cars, they certainly wouldn't buy one made here.... His statement sounds typical of most people that head up corporations and to top it off the guys on the assembly lines can honestly say the same thing.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hypervigilant
If anyone in this country knew anything about cars, they certainly wouldn't buy one made here.... His statement sounds typical of most people that head up corporations and to top it off the guys on the assembly lines can honestly say the same thing.

Nonsense. I won two GMs and they're great cars. And the GM lineworkers are proud of their products. Why buy foreign and send the profits overseas? I support my Country's product.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I see that there is a fair amount of people out there that feel that its no big deal that this guy doesn't know anything bout cars , I find this a bit strange .

Would it not seem that what GM needs is someone who knows a lot about cars ? If I was looking for someone to run a car company for me I would want to make dam sure that they had knowledge about the industry ? Other wise they should have held a reality contest / TV show to pick the new head of GM, just think of it , the people would have loved that ! And ratings would have went through the roof ! We could have phoned in to vote and everything !

I wonder how a successful car company would have / does , go about choosing a head chief ?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

This turd we have in the White House is not worth my respect, not worth my deference, and he sure as hell isn't worth my allegiance.

So far, he's done everything possible to bring this country to its knees.

You want him? You take him!

Pride in the US? We have an entire culture who have made a profession out of sucking off the public tit. They are ignorant, useless, the greater source of crime, and yet they vote.

I have more respect for a leech. At least when the leech gets full, he has the courtesy to drop off.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
I see that there is a fair amount of people out there that feel that its no big deal that this guy doesn't know anything bout cars , I find this a bit strange .

Would it not seem that what GM needs is someone who knows a lot about cars ? If I was looking for someone to run a car company for me I would want to make dam sure that they had knowledge about the industry ? Other wise they should have held a reality contest / TV show to pick the new head of GM, just think of it , the people would have loved that ! And ratings would have went through the roof ! We could have phoned in to vote and everything !

I wonder how a successful car company would have / does , go about choosing a head chef ?

Each division of General Motors, Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, GMC Truck, Saturn, Cadillac, GMAC Financial, Onstar, XM Radio, GM Parts, has their own President that basically runs their division as a stand alone company.

Those are the people who are really tasked in getting the job done at GM.

The President of GM itself might say, yeah or nay to a car they want to take from concept to production, or say yeah or nay to trimming staff or adding staff etc, etc, but it's mostly a figure head job.

The real responsibility and power rests with the Division Presidents.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Perhaps thats the problem .

I just think that at a time such as this , one would want the most knowable person for the job , not a person with no knowledge of the industry .

Also , this guy states that he feels that he is doing a “public service.” ?

I would venture a guess that this guy was also smiling from ear to ear when he was making this statement , and not showing a serious somber look .

Given that the government has bailed out this company , going against public opinion , would it not have given a greater appearance had they chosen a more experienced person ?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
This turd we have in the White House is not worth my respect, not worth my deference, and he sure as hell isn't worth my allegiance....We have an entire culture who have made a profession out of sucking off the public tit. They are ignorant, useless, the greater source of crime, and yet they vote.

Mmmm...scary stuff. So any fix outta you beyond taking shots at the Big Guy or your compatriots whenever a forum presents itself? What are you doing to amend this terrible state of affairs? Complaining is easy.

But ultimately, what does calling your chief of state names have to do with what the chairman of GM knows about cars? Am I missing something?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Perhaps thats the problem .

I just think that at a time such as this , one would want the most knowable person for the job , not a person with no knowledge of the industry .

Also , this guy states that he feels that he is doing a “public service.” ?

I would venture a guess that this guy was also smiling from ear to ear when he was making this statement , and not showing a serious somber look .

Given that the government has bailed out this company , going against public opinion , would it not have given a greater appearance had they chosen a more experienced person ?

First off no offense to anyone but public oppinion brought us President Obama! The media can just about make anything seem like a good or dumb idea and a lot of what's going on with GM is about busting up the last 'living wage' union in America...

Now having said that, do you have any idea, any at all how much tax revenue General Motors has raised for the Federal Government and all 50 states over the ONE HUNDRED YEARS it's been in business?

It's a heck of a lot more than the bailout money they are recieving.

Do you have any idea how many people are employed directly by General Motors, General Motors dealerships, General Motors subsidiaries in entertainment, services, and electronics, and how many more are employed indirectly through shipping, advertising and repairs and how much tax revenue they generate over the ONE HUNDRED YEARS General Motors has been in business?

Long and short of it is most Americans are as stupid and ignorant and self centered as they are whiney and misinformed.

The United States would be nuts to let GM go out of business, and by the way it's not like GM doesn't sell a kazillion cars, or that just because Toyota finally unseated them 2 years ago for most cars sold in America while Toyota has posted a 10 BILLION DOLLAR LOSS the first quarter.

Americans need to wake up and grow up, it's bad enough that our economy is already in the toilet from idiotic consumers buying almost everything from groceries to the pans they cook them in from Asia and compliantly talk to someone in India when they have a complaint about them.

Every auto manufacture foriegn and domestic is in trouble right now, big trouble for one reason FROZEN CREDIT MARKETS.

Wake up!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join