It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disturbing life forms on other planets........

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Some clips from the Video...

A herd of Floaters

Floaters

Hunters

Sinkers (Orbs)

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by buds84due to the Ozone layer being young and something with the oxygen being younger/cleaner.

Can I ask you something? Do you know what ozone is? Do you know how it's formed?

As to cleaner oxygen... I assume you mean air. But back in those days their were many active volcanoes spewing out greenhouse gases and sulfur dioxide... way more than what man puts out

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Martian Meteorite ALH84001

Caption
Electron micrograph of martian meteorite ALH84001 showing structures that some scientists think could be fossilized bacteria-like lifeforms

en.wikipedia.org...

Also have a look at my thread...

Fossils on Mars - A Collection of Evidence
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by amyfriend

The Mist was an amazing movie. I remember reading hte novella when I was a young'un and being amazed by its awesome... And the film is one of the precious few movies that are actually BETTER than the book (the book's ending is completely weak and unsatisfying, as is often the case with Stephen King)

Ahem.

Yes, gigantic "bugs" are a possibility. It's completely possible too that they'll simply have different methods of obtaining oxygen than earth-insects.

And yes, there was a period in earth's history where there were nine-foot centipedes and five-foot dragonflies, precisely because there was so much oxygen.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
well wouldnt it be even better if you had a pet that looked like this???

i98.photobucket.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I remember watching a TV show a while ago on the Discovery Channel (I don't recall the name though) describing what complex life would look like on other planets. The scientists made theoretical assumptions based on life as we know it on earth, and even then it was rather interesting how different they would be.

For example, on one of the planets orbiting the star Gliese 581 (can't remember which planet though, either C or D...), plant life would be purple. They said something like green is the most efficient color for capturing sunlight for photosynthesis on Earth, but that purple would be better on Gliese. Since its a red dwarf star, and less luminous and cooler in temperature, green wouldn't be very useful. Not to mention that if it was on Gliese 581c, then that would mean that one one side of the planet it would always be day and the on the other side it would always be night, with sun never moving in the sky, since the planet orbits its star at the same speed it rotates on its axis (like the moon to earth). Plus the planet would be much closer to its sun, so the sun would appear in sky many times larger than it does here on earth. This would also cause it to have some weird effects on life there.

However, as for advanced intelligent life capable of civilization and/or travel in space, they would actually be similar to us in basic structure. They would need to have hand with at least a few fingers and an opposable thumb, capable of manipulating tools and such. They wouldn't have a bunch of legs, since the creature would have to focus more on being able to maneuver around without tripping up. They would also have to be similar to us in size. Anything too much larger than us would need to consume too much food every day for enough energy to support its body, and probably wouldn't be able to fully develop into a civilized species. Anything too small would obviously have to be fighting for its life most of the time. It was also said they would be bipedal and have heads and faces similar to us, and body types similar to us.

And, if a planet was much larger than earth, say a terrestrial planet the size of neptune or something, then the gravity would be much stronger than it is here. Would a different amount of gravitational pull have any effect on the size, shape, form, or basic functions of life?

That is considering this is based off life as we know it here. But we don't exactly know for sure all of the factors of how life comes to be. For all we know, water is only needed on earth, and another compound that dominates another planet somewhere in the universe could be the key to life there. Then, we couldn't even begin to imagine what it would be like, if we could even recognize it.

Its all pretty fascinating

[edit on 31-7-2009 by LetTheTruthBeTold]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by LetTheTruthBeTold

That was The Universe. Good show
And yeah it is interesting to think about it, because there are so many different types of planets out there that life would evolve so much differently than it did here.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by buds84
Well long time ago on Earth, everything was way bigger ...

I don't know about everything, but many things were much bigger in ancient earth, like this dragonfly with a wingspan of over 2 feet across:

www.animalpicturesarchive.com...

Meganeura monyi was a prehistoric insect of the Carboniferous period (300 million years ago), resembling and related to the present-day dragonfly. With a wingspan of more than 75 cm (2 feet) wide, it was the largest known flying insect species to ever appear on Earth.

We really don't have to look any farther than earth to learn of giant scary insects (not to mention dinosaurs):

dml.cmnh.org...

These giants crawled and crept, slithered and scurried, burrowed, slinked, skittered and, above all, flitted and fluttered millions of years before the dinosaurs arrived.

They were the giant arthropods of the Carboniferous.

There were extra-large mayflies, supersized scorpions and spiders the size of a healthy spider plant. There was an array of giant flightless insects, and a five-foot-long millipede-like creature, Arthropleura, that resembled a tire tread rolled out flat.

But perhaps the most remarkable of all were the giant dragonflies, Meganeuropsis permiana and its cousins, with wingspans that reached two and a half feet. They were the largest insects that ever lived.

Scientists have long suspected that atmospheric oxygen played a central role in both the rise and fall of these organisms. Recent research on the ancient climate by Dr. Robert A. Berner, a Yale geologist, and others reinforces the idea of a rise in oxygen concentration - to about 35 percent, compared with 21 percent now - during the Carboniferous.

So for giant arthropods, you're looking for planets with high oxygen content, like the earth had 300 million years ago. Presumably if another planet had even higher oxygen levels (say 50%) these creatures could get even bigger!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Here's a nice website, go to the bottom of the page there's two drawings of a low gravity planet and a heavy gravity planet

www.molvray.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Here is a show about what life might be like on other worlds

The Universe - Alien Faces

Part 1 here:

[edit on 31-7-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Nice find on that website. Some pretty interesting ideas on how gravity would affect life forms. Good theoretical illustrations too. Its pretty cool what different ranges of gravity can do.

There appears to be no reason why life could not evolve across a wide range of gravities. Both crushing pressure and near-weightlessness are handled with aplomb by Earth-based life. High gravity could be expected to result in stocky, multi-legged creatures with very fast reaction times. (A classic on the subject is Hal Clement's Mission of Gravity.) Low gravity organisms would likely be more delicate, possibly balance on two or even one foot, and would have the option of airborne existence. What is perhaps less obvious is that high gravity would correlate with a thicker atmosphere and higher water content. Skies would be thicker, yellower if the atmosphere is like ours, mistier or cloudier. The thicker atmospheric blanket means that high-gravity worlds in an otherwise hostile stellar neighborhood would have a better chance of harboring life than low-gravity planets. Dickinson and Schaller have two drawings (below) envisioning how all the gravity-related factors would mesh.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
I don't know about everything, but many things were much bigger in ancient earth, like this dragonfly with a wingspan of over 2 feet across:

That's scary

Not the dragonfly... but they eat mosquitoes as their main diet...

Can you picture those mosquitoes that had a stinger big enough to go through Dino Hide? I mean they must have, other wise how could Jurassic Park have extracted Dino DNA from mosquitoes in amber?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Bosko

Yeah i think it was The Universe, and parts from another show that i've seen too, and i just kinda turned into one in my mind. The one about the purple plants was on the Science Channel and called "Exodus: Gliese 581" or something like that, i believe. It was mostly about the planet and what it would take to get there, but the last 15 minutes towards the end talked about what it would theoretically be like on the planet.

But yeah, there are so many stars and planets out there that it is simply impossible for the human mind to imagine. There's so many different possibilities for what life could be like elsewhere that we couldn't even come close to entertaining a fraction of them

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Can you picture those mosquitoes that had a stinger big enough to go through Dino Hide? I mean they must have, other wise how could Jurassic Park have extracted Dino DNA from mosquitoes in amber?

Zorgon, that's too funny, I don't think I could lift the flyswatter big enough for that thing!

Jurassic Park had those mosquitoes encased in Amber to preserve them, but I'm not sure if even the "general Sherman Tree" could make an amber blob big enough to contain that thing!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Jurassic Park had those mosquitoes encased in Amber to preserve them, but I'm not sure if even the "general Sherman Tree" could make an amber blob big enough to contain that thing!

Having cut and polished amber myself I can verify that there are bugs in some. Makes it worth more... but that was mu biggest beef with Jurassic Park story line

They claim the little bugs they found had Dino blood. Now having battled the giant hordes of Alaskan mosquitoes I know they can be nasty, but it would have to be huge to pierce Dino hide....

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The man (as mankind) often focuses towards far away targets, while ignoring what can be found exactly below his ass. This is something that has always happened since the start of space exploration (not to mention before), but just SOME of the many people involved in space exploration (which includes search for exo-planets and extraterrestrial forms of life) overlook this detail. And that just happens because they prefer the sky to the sea or, better, because they know that there's a limit in the depht of the sea while it would be extremely hard to say where exactly universe ends (isn't it?). Many believe that we are trying to go to land some guys to Mars because we have discovered everything about our planet. That is plain WRONG: space exploration should be considered as a branch of some global project including space exploration itself, but the truth is that we dont know what our seas, our underground are hosting, at least not completely, and i'm not talking about tunafish.

Tiburonia granrojo
en.wikipedia.org...

Dumbo Octopus
www.exploretheabyss.com...

Benthocodon
www.sealifebase.org...

Latrunculia apicalis
www.marinespecies.org...

UNIDENTIFIED

Chondrocladia
en.wikipedia.org...

Find more species here:
Sources and references:
www.thedeepbook.com...
MBARI

And leave alone those scientists claiming that a spider can grow up to "X" inches: tomorrow, one of them could have some umpleaseant close encounter with some super-spider: that wouldn't change his theories but of course would change his life.
The more one studies, the more one finds out to be ignorant: the truth is that we are too ignorant about the planet HOSTING us (because we are NOT the owners of this planet):
the first step would be to respect our planet, while what we are doing is to destroy it as soon as possible: and don't ask me why because i don't know it.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Kewl Critters
Many in there I have not seen before. And many of those you know certain trolls will scream CGI

There were some really weird ones washed up when the Tsunami hit. I will see if I can find those in a minute

But about spiders what about the huge one Undo found on the Moon?

Spider with glowing egg sac... Reiner Crater.
I mean talk about creepy, this thing is 30 kilometers

[edit on 31-7-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Ah here we go someone made a video

COOL

Indonesian tsunami creatures

DANG Looks like a TRILOBITE

[edit on 31-7-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Speaking of Prehistoric Extinct species...

Prehistoric shark captured on film

Its ALIVE!!!

Also Extinct... the Coelacanth

And this just in... Shades of Jurassic Park!!!

Prehistoric Mammoth Discovered

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Oh god, 'The Mist' terrified me... that thing near the end when he's in his car, what the hell was that!?!

But yea, maybe there's planets filled with cute little animals like rabbits and tiny horses? Id rather think there's creatures out there like that rather than giant spiders etc!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join