It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miranda Rights for Terrorists

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
Unbelievable!!

This is outrageous, dangerous and totally unacceptable. What does Obama think he is doing? Since when does the U.S. Constitution apply to foreigners in another country who are attacking our troops?

Another nail in the Obama coffin. His extreme leftist liberal policies are going to be his downfall. People did not vote for this garbage.

This is just another lie and flip-flop by our President because back in March Obama said, 'Now, do these folks deserve Miranda rights? Do they deserve to be treated like a shoplifter down the block? Of course not.'

www.weeklystandard.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/10/2009 by WhatTheory]

Here is my problem with this. I think that giving them rights is okay. Why? Because we are labeling them as terrorists. That is the problem right there. By doing that they have the right to show that they aren't. Just because we say they are doesn't make it so. This has been proven over and over with our illegal prisoning of some innocent people over the years with ZERO retribution.

It's time for the right to drop this war on terror. It's time for them to simply label Al Qaieda as an enemy combatant and that's it. We are at war with them not the 'terrorists'.

Because until they do that these people SHOULD have a right to defend themselves against the claims. Especially with our history of holding innocents for nearly a decade without hardly ANY proof.

An enemy combatant has only the Geneva Convention rights (don't tell me a terrorist can be named as such because calling it a war on terror doesn't make it so, there is no government to go to war with, just a group and THAT is what is wrong with the rights view of this war).

So I must agree with this decision.

It's time to drop this charade of an endless war against a faceless enemy that will always be there. The PTB will simply keep changing the names of the groups to continue funding their buddies in the MIC.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by debz325
Well I am not a legal scholar but it seems to me that only Americans have the right to our judicial system.I really don't care what is legal though,I care only about keeping Americans safe.

Yikes. Why do you care more about americans than anyone else? Why is it that americans are more important in your mind, and therefore, should be allowed to conquer?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason
He did also mention in the very last 3 seconds of your clip....providing them their due process and something about international law.

Ok, so what? This is about miranda rights and he was against giving these terrorists miranda rights. Please focus and stay on topic.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason
He did also mention in the very last 3 seconds of your clip....providing them their due process and something about international law.

Ok, so what? This is about miranda rights and he was against giving these terrorists miranda rights. Please focus and stay on topic.

With all due respect...Miranda rights are a part of due process.

Also, please read my entire post. It would help keep things in perspective and in light of this entire topic for you.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by miasria
also, where did i indicate anything about free housing and welfare?

I was pointing out how absurd it is to give these terrorists miranda rights by stating an absurdity.

also, are you attributing these individuals with being terrorist?

Call them what you like, terrorists, enemy combatents or santa clause. Irrelevant.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Another point: This is just another LIE and flip-flop by Obama because previously Obama himself said these people don't deserve miranda rights. Everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie.

For your enjoyment:

good video theory.

intersting, this statement comes "after" the failure to release those horrible abu greib photos and videos.

maybe obama knew more than he was saying. to me it would be apparent that we as a country committed horrible acts against citizens that we denied rights to and accused of being "terrorists."

something to think about.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by miasria

Another point: This is just another LIE and flip-flop by Obama because previously Obama himself said these people don't deserve miranda rights. Everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie.

For your enjoyment:

good video theory.

intersting, this statement comes "after" the failure to release those horrible abu greib photos and videos.

maybe obama knew more than he was saying. to me it would be apparent that we as a country committed horrible acts against citizens that we denied rights to and accused of being "terrorists."

something to think about.

I hadn't considered that earlier.

President Obama is a constitutional law expert. You may be on to something here that has been overlooked throughout our discussion.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
Here ya go again, are you trolling or just ignorant enough to not realize what you are doing?

I started this thread so if anyone is trolling it's you.

Please deny ignorance.
Or at least grow some thicker skin if you think I insulted anyone.

Drop it and stop being a troll and please stay on topic in my thread.

For the record, I am not a liberal.

Ok, sure. If that helps you sleep better at night.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Yes I know that I am politically incorrect but I do care about Americans more than anyone else.There I said it,Go ahead and string me up lol

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg
Here is my problem with this. I think that giving them rights is okay. Why? Because we are labeling them as terrorists. That is the problem right there.

It does NOT matter what label you put on them. The point is that miranda rights are for U.S. citizens only. If they are not U.S. citizens then they don't get the priviledge of miranda rights regardless of whether you call them terrorists, enemy combatents or goat herders.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by debz325
Yes I know that I am politically incorrect but I do care about Americans more than anyone else.There I said it,Go ahead and string me up lol

Have a Star just for having some common sense.

[edit on 6/11/2009 by WhatTheory]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Here ya go again, are you trolling or just ignorant enough to not realize what you are doing?

I started this thread so if anyone is trolling it's you.

Please deny ignorance.
Or at least grow some thicker skin if you think I insulted anyone.

Drop it and stop being a troll and please stay on topic in my thread.

I dont care what you started, you are baiting and attacking. That is the definition of a troll.

Well played though. Way to stay on track.

[edit on 6/11/2009 by cautiouslypessimistic]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

You can try and bait me all you want. I'm not a liberal. Im not a conservative. I'm a constitutionalist. I am pro gun, I am pro-choice. I am not a pacifist. I am not pro-war.

Try again.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

If they are not U.S. citizens then they don't get the priviledge of miranda rights regardless of whether you call them terrorists, enemy combatents or goat herders.

So, if they are not U.S. citizens, and we are not at war, they shouldnt be held by america, under american law. It's that simple. You can't have it both ways.

Seems you want to turn your back on this.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
i should not have said citizens. maybe innocent iraq citizens.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Here is my problem with this. I think that giving them rights is okay. Why? Because we are labeling them as terrorists. That is the problem right there.

It does NOT matter what label you put on them. The point is that miranda rights are for U.S. citizens only. If they are not U.S. citizens then they don't get the priviledge of miranda rights regardless of whether you call them terrorists, enemy combatents or goat herders.

Actually, that point is well made. Not miranda right. They do not deserve that. However, they do deserve SOME rights. Rights that were taken from many innocent people that received ZERO compensation for their stay in our prisons other than torture and pretty decent healthcare.

So, they do deserve the right to be represented. Because there is a VERY significant difference between terrorist and combatant. Until you accept that you are simply stalling the progression of this discussion. You are asking others to see your points, which I actually do see, but you refuse to give ANY ground on the differences listed above. It is indeed very important because labeling someone something and then giving that as the reason to hold them without representation is very important.

An enemy combatant that you are at war with (a government, not a group) is VERY different than a group or individual that you call a terrorist. It's like O'Reilly on the kick that the muslim who killed the army recruiter is a terrorist. He is not. He is a murderer. Period.

So we must define the line. I agree now, no miranda rights because that IS for American citizens. However, they deserve representation. Period. For the reasons above.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Actually, that point is well made. Not miranda right. They do not deserve that. However, they do deserve SOME rights.

I don't know if they deserve any rights but that is for a different thread. This thread is about miranda rights and since you agree that they do NOT deserve miranda rights, I guess we are in agreement.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

So, if they are not U.S. citizens, and we are not at war, they shouldnt be held by america, under american law. It's that simple. You can't have it both ways.

Your point is moot because we are at war. However, using your flawed logic we should just let them go even though they are fighting and killing U.S. and allied soldiers. That is just strange.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I dont care what you started, you are baiting and attacking. That is the definition of a troll.

The problem is that you are confusing fact with insults. I have baited and attacked no one. It's only your flawed opinion this has occured.

Well played though. Way to stay on track.

Way to derail the thread. Again, stop your trolling and baseless accusations and please try and stay on topic.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Your point is moot because we are at war. However, using your flawed logic we should just let them go even though they are fighting and killing U.S. and allied soldiers. That is just strange.

Way to keep up.

We are not in a declared war. Meaning all that are being detained are being detained illegally. Meaning the miranda rights is really the moot point, because their detainment is illegal.

Get it yet?

Also, they are fighting on their own soil. You really think that defending THEIR HOME is a terrorist act? I'd say the occupying force is the terrorist, not the other way around.

But again, we are going ignore that, arent we?

As for your silly trolling statements, I will put it like this:
You are attacking the messenger, not the topic. This is trolling. The evidence is right above this thread. You talk about "your flawed logic". You make it personal, instead of debating as an intelligent person does. That, friend, is the definition of a troll.

Heck, you attacked the very first person in this thread that said anything from even a slight liberal POV.

You tried to bait me by calling me a liberal.

Trolling, friend. And not even a good attempt at it.

[edit on 6/11/2009 by cautiouslypessimistic]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join