It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miranda Rights for Terrorists

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Originally posted by miasria
so where does one draw the line regarding who should and shouldn't receive the miranda right?

Umm.....U.S. citizens. Why is this so difficult to understand?

What's next? Hey, after we read them their miranda rights, lets put them on government welfare, give them a brick of government cheese and put them up in public housing until their trial.

Good Lord, what is wrong with you sheeple? Please stop and try thinking for yourself instead of spewing and allowing yourself to be brainwashed by liberal/fascist policies.

good greif. i am a patriot and constitutionalist. i used to call people sheeple too.

now i don't trust my government.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by cautiouslypessimistic
Wow, turning this into a libs/conservative thread. Well played. Seems like someone has an agenda to me.

Wow, and not comprehending what you read is your problem.

Did you happen to notice the quote I responded to?
It was:

Given the fact that we've wrongfully accused innocent people of being terrorists, and after all this Guantanamo nonsense...I'm going to go ahead as token liberal to say- this is a good idea.

Did you see where the poster mentioned they are liberal?
Instead of making accusations, please try to comprehend what you read. Unless you are the one with the agenda which is why you overlook the obvious.

[edit on 6/11/2009 by WhatTheory]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I don't trust the government either, but what on Earth does that have to do with reading miranda rights to enemy combatents being captured during war?

Miranda rights are for U.S. citizens only.
Since you are giving the terrorists these rights, along with government welfare and public housing, why don't you also give them all the rights in the U.S. Constitution. Especially the right to bear arms so they can shoot their captives.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Wow, turning this into a libs/conservative thread. Well played. Seems like someone has an agenda to me.

Wow, and not comprehending what you read is your problem.

Did you happen to notice the quote I responded to?
It was:

Given the fact that we've wrongfully accused innocent people of being terrorists, and after all this Guantanamo nonsense...I'm going to go ahead as token liberal to say- this is a good idea.

Did you see where the poster mentioned they are liberal?
Instead of making accusations, please try to comprehend what you read. Unless you are the one with the agenda which is why you overlook the obvious.

[edit on 6/11/2009 by WhatTheory]

Thats great, someone referred to themself as a liberal.

You then went on to insult them for being liberal. That is turning into a libs/conservs argument. Sorry if you can't comprehend that(another person falling into the seperation).

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

You then went on to insult them for being liberal. That is turning into a libs/conservs argument. Sorry if you can't comprehend that(another person falling into the seperation).

Umm....I did not insult them. Hypersensitive much?
Another typical liberal trait.

Saying, "You react and make decisions based on emotion instead of logic and the law." is not an insult. It is a fact especially in this particular case. Sorry if the truth hurts.
Good grief!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Saying, "You react and make decisions based on emotion instead of logic and the law." is not an insult. It is a fact especially in this particular case. Sorry if the truth hurts.
Good grief!

Here's how we solve this problem...Rep/Dem/Conservative/Liberal.

FOLLOW THE US CONSTITUTION. FOLLOW LEGAL PRECEDENT. ADHERE TO THE BILL OF RIGHTS AND OTHER CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENTS.

Keep the emotions and political party squabble out of this debate. The Framers of the Constitution, including George Washington, spoke of how political parties are a very bad thing for this nation.

Who cares how a liberal feels/thinks? Who cares about how a conservative feels/thinks?

Adhere and live to the US Constitution, the supreme law of our land.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Umm I don't care what they did just like they did not care what are military is trying to accomplish.They just want to kill them.What did the American do to deserve there head being chopped off?Personally I believe in torture with foreign nationalist that pose any kind of threat to Americans.Could there be a innocent one,sure just like there could be a innocent one on death row in America.Does that mean we should abolish the death penalty?I think not.As far as I am concerned only American traitors want to fight for the rights of terrorists.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by debz325

Again, your opinions are great. So, too, are the talking-heads we hear/see on tv and radio 24-7.

But these opinions are merely opinions.

Our nation must return to basing decisions on constitutionality and legal precedent.

An American traitor makes decisions that compromise the constitutionality and legality of our country.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by MOFreemason]

link   
Another point: This is just another LIE and flip-flop by Obama because previously Obama himself said these people don't deserve miranda rights. Everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie.

For your enjoyment:

link   
Here's where having a legal system (i.e. where whoever has the best lawyer/law wins and true justice/truth is absent) fails against having a true justice system (i.e. where the truth prevails).

While I understand that 'Miranda Rights' are not necessarily appropriate in a "war" situation (not a 'police action'), one must afford certain human rights to all detainees. That they are accused of heinous crimes does not mean that you suspend international law.

They do 'illegal' things, so you do 'illegal' things? Is that how it works?
Eye for an eye?

I think this is all about having some decency.

Detaining without charge, without trial, without representation (I know where you're head is going, I just hope your lawyer wouldn't allow you to be waterboarded a couple hundred times), suspending habeus corpus, torture all looks pretty bad in the eyes of the world. Especially when you fly the flag of the righteous above the prison.
I'm not saying that all of the detainees are without guilt, but that's where justice comes in. Prove it, and punish the guilty.

Giving the prisoners basic human rights is the first step toward doing this properly. Otherwise we're just as bad as any of the other rogue nations that the MSM constantly spout off about in terms of human rights violations.

Or is it really true that if we do it, it's not illegal.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I don't trust the government either, but what on Earth does that have to do with reading miranda rights to enemy combatents being captured during war?

Miranda rights are for U.S. citizens only.
Since you are giving the terrorists these rights, along with government welfare and public housing, why don't you also give them all the rights in the U.S. Constitution. Especially the right to bear arms so they can shoot their captives.

miranda rights for american citizens? have you read the patriot act? also as a victim of some sort of government mind control program, i have no rights.

it's a shame because so many military men and women died for our country to remain free. now we have far worse, autroucious acts being leveled by those who control. they are not fit to wear the stars on their uniforms. as a military supporter, i say this with disturbance.

i'm saddened for our country. i'm saddened for humanity. i think alot of this "the enemy" stuff is the result of a few who are wielding control of the masses.

if you haven't already, read up on the bluebird, mkultra programs. they never shut those down. in fact they are far beyond this. also, don't for one minute believe that we are not technilogically far advanced in the alien / star wars realm.

we are.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
We have tortured in every war we have ever fought,why should this one be any different?Do you think the people that jumped from world trade center felt tortured as they plunged to there death?I could maybe understand your point of view if we were fighting a civilized people but we are not.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Also the proof is when they point a gun at our military,that is all the proof I need.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatTheory

He did also mention in the very last 3 seconds of your clip....providing them their due process and something about international law.

He did also cite Cheney's belief that the justice department's ineffectiveness in handling these problems. Obama said in that clip he fundamentally disagrees with his assertion.

So what did he do?

He created a "Global Justice Initiative" that no longer calls on the CIA to handle international terrorism/detainee issues. It is now the FBI. Why the FBI? Because they can investigate, charge them with an actual crime, collect/present evidence, give them a trial, and convict them. BUT...they must be afforded their due process. Under the tenets of our legal/justice system, we are afforded Miranda rights so that we don't have to say anything to incriminate ourselves.

I'm confused why people are so bent about this Miranda rights issue. IT IS HOW WE ARE ACTUALLY ABLE TO CHARGE/TRY/CONVICT these terrorists.

Why do we want them sitting in some foreign land prison indefinitely?

Boy, oh boy...at least those two US journalists now serving 12 years in a North Korean labor camp were given a trial. (Probably a rather one-sided trial sadly.)

Our detainees are sitting in a military prison camp until who knows when. No charges offered. No trials coordinated. No convictions.

It makes no sense. You want justice, right? Then we'll do it the American way.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by MOFreemason]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Good grief!

Here ya go again, are you trolling or just ignorant enough to not realize what you are doing?

For the record, I am not a liberal. Nice try though(and well done showing yourself for who you really are-anyone with an opposing point of view is a typical liberal-that's quality.)

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
So if the accused (not always the guilty) are accused of acting like barbarians, then so should we?

That's a sorry state to be in.

Reverting to being a savage because somebody else did is not intelligent.
And people wonder why the USA is thought of so poorly around the world.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
also, where did i indicate anything about free housing and welfare?

also, are you attributing these individuals with being terrorist?

btw.. i was a libertarian not that long ago. now i don't know what i am. all i know is that i am deeply afraid of my government, in particular, the military and cia. the fbi and their lack of doing anything about these programs also leaves them not far behind.

you would have never heard me say this a few years ago. as a 911, ground zero rescue worker, you would have never heard me question the idea that this was not a home grown act.

i personally believe it was black op. which agency? probably cia performed. behind them? i don't know.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
So, I'm still waiting for a response-If a person is captured by america, is illegally detained by america, is held to american laws, and is tried under those american laws, how can you possibly justify that they dont deserve american legal defense?

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by debz325
We have tortured in every war we have ever fought,why should this one be any different?Do you think the people that jumped from world trade center felt tortured as they plunged to there death?I could maybe understand your point of view if we were fighting a civilized people but we are not.

show me one stealth operative "on our side" who is not barbaric and civilized. we have some of the worst.

but hey.... we're the good guys and they are the bad ones.

i think those who commit such acts, regardless of which side they are on, are barbaric.

as one group of aliens accused our military of....

"you are barbaric and archaic"

coming from a group of a small group of outer realm reptoid militants, that said alot.

of course, we accused them of being mercenaries and running a police state.

i'm not sure which is worse. being tortured, dissassociated and shattered.

or just being killed.

actually, in all honesty, i think i'd prefer just being killed.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well I am not a legal scholar but it seems to me that only Americans have the right to our judicial system.I really don't care what is legal though,I care only about keeping Americans safe.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join