It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirituality; What does it mean to you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Hello all.

So im starting this thread as a discussion of what spirituality means to you.

I would like to think i am quite a spiritual person, but before i can just say that i am or not, we need to understand what it really means.

Spirituality is matters of the spirit, a concept tied to a spirit world, a multidimensional reality and one or more deities. Spiritual matters regard humankind's ultimate nature and purpose, not as material biological organisms, but as spirits with an eternal relationship beyond the bodily senses, time and the material world. Spirituality implies the mind-body dichotomy, which indicates a separation between the body and soul.

Wiki...

That is the standard wikipedia definition.

So basically, spirituality is the well being of ones spirit, of ones non-bodily form

So now we know what it is, we need to know how can we become more spiritual or achieve spirituality.

This is where i get stuck.

How can you become more spiritual?

Good ol' wiki tells us that..

Spirituality may also include the development of the individual's inner life through practices such as meditation and prayer.

So there are two things that can help us become more spiritual. Well, i meditate daily, generally just a breathing and a clear your mind meditation.

A friend also told me that reading or studying "Zen" is a good too.

Zen

Zen is a type of meditation, and it covers alot of general self well being topics.

Connecting with nature is a good way to connect with yourself.

Go out for walks, feed the ducks, get outdoors. Experience nature in all its beauty.

Create Your Path

Ask yourself about your life goals.

Where are you going?
Why are you going there?
Will it be worth it?

Maybe even write goals down and add to them when they happen. Keeping a diary is good for this.

Have An Open Mind

Open yourself to opportunities. They wont always come to you. Be open to who you really are and to any challenge you may encounter. Nothing can be achieved without being open.

Consider Your Beliefs

I often like to just sit down, wherever i am, and just think about things. I often take the time, maybe once a day, to just analyse my believes in everything. Consider why i believe these things, etc. I feel this can help me connect with myself. Often when i talk with people, about beliefs, religion, someone will say something, and I'll ask them, "so why do you believe that, what is it that makes you think that?" and occasionly people start to stutter, and they have never really considered why they believe what they do.

We're lucky enough to live in a society where we're free to practice and believe in whatever religion we want to. Take full advantage of that fact. Don't just blindly follow the path you inherited. Make your own way and search until you find what works for you.

There are some tips for becoming more spiritual, now I'd like to know what it means to you. I know there are alot of great minds here at ATS, so i'd love to get some tips from the best and find out about other people too.

Love&Light

Jacob

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hello.
While certainly not a great mind nor even close to consider myself very spiritual, i think that pure spirituality and pure materialism are two extrims. Being all material is bad as far as personal development stands, but being all spiritual is not better either.
Golden middle point which is very hard to achieve is the best position to be, me thinks. As an example - praying and meditating for world peace is great, but helping some old lady with running sink is not worse despite being material. Or even better?
Anyway, i am very very very far from this middle point, so for me it is easy to talk but to walk the walk....

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
How Can I become more Spiritual?

Well, A lot of people believe that they know themselves. I can honestly say I dont know much about myself. Becoming more spiritual to me means learning more about yourself. Something that you did not know before.

How Do I Do it?

I Meditate, Question everything Im doing, and analyze others around me for responses from my actions. Meditation calms my mind, helps me organize what is in my head currently, and allows me to gain a better understanding of how I tick. I Question everything I do, from getting out of bed in the morning to sitting down in a chair. I also question what I believe, which leaves me striving for more later.

When Im asked what I believe in, I reply with "Be more specific". I have many beliefs, around many different topics. Questioning these very beliefs I think is good for a person.... Analyzing others responses to actions made is also another good way of understanding what you are doing, and why you are doing it.

Hope this is what you were asking,
Rekar

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by rekar

Hello,

Yeah, i think analyzing the things you do everyday is very important. There are simple things you do everyday that you do subconsciously, or bad habits that you might have, and if you just sort of think if i do this, why do i do this etc.

Thanks for the post

Love&Light

Jacob

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JacobNH

Hey Jacob,

I think the most spiritual thing you can do is breaking down the ego or sense of self which opens up the connection to all other beings. Once you no longer view yourself as separate, the most rewarding thing you can do it selflessly help others. The ultimate goal is to have an entire world full of enlightened people. So stopping along the way to help any person you can brings us closer to the goal and therefore gives you all the fulfillment you need in life.

my .02

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

That is a very good point.

Like you, when i first started meditating, you helped me, and directed me to some of your threads, which i learnt alot from. You helped me become a better person, and i thank you for that.

Love&Light

jacob

top topics

join