It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft's "Project Natal" - Creepiest/most depressing videogame ever?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Maybe you guys are right. But one thing for sure is that it will create huge anti-social behavior. It is kind of different talking to Milo and then talking to
a real life human being.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
reply to post by jd140

Maybe you guys are right. But one thing for sure is that it will create huge anti-social behavior. It is kind of different talking to Milo and then talking to
a real life human being.

You are talking about ONE game, just ONE. This game is not something you can sit down and have a intimate conversation with. You can't tell Milo that you like billy but he likes someone esle and expect to get sympathy from him.

You are making this out to be way more then what it is which is The Sims on steroids.

Relax

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
i think it would be a good friend for kids that dont really have any. it my have positive psychological benefits.

[edit on 10-6-2009 by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by itsallalie
THINK ABOUT THIS!!!

Most of 360 gamers have online access and this game is basically a scanner in your house... lets think abit.... wait for it... who is to say "they" cant access the box or the consol through a program.. and who is to say they cant see your family watching tv or maybe send signals through the box.. like when the joker invented that box that messed with peoples memory.
i know thats a little silly but something could come out of the box if your image can go into right?

iv already said this but... NO GOVERNMENT AGENCY GIVES A FLYING POOP ABOUT THE 30% OF MIDDLECLASS FAMILIES IN THE US THAT OWN THESE MACHINES AND THEIR CHILDREN WHO ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO WOULD EVER MOVE IN FRONT OF THAT CAMERA.

mabey a group of hacker child molesters might find a way to wheel this... and yeah, i know adults play video games too. but comon, you think theres enough demand for this rudementary device for the government to hack into it and use it against you? if they want you... they already have you. anyone with a mac knows about that little camera embedded into the monitor... im sure theres a million peices of software that can derive facial fetures and emotions from a simple image of the face. or how about facebook. at least people use that.

get a grip on reality, find bearing, breathe, it will all be over soon.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Very interesting.

It will be amazing once full immersion occurs because people will be able to fully immerse themselvs into these realities.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
One of the biggest problems hackers used to have is that almost nothing was "connected".

Just the simple fact that there is a camera in your living room (or bedroom if that's where your console is) that is attached ("connected") to the net is enough to get all kinds of sticky fingers sticky and emotional figures emotional.

Every piece of technology has good and bad possibility. Being connected is obviously very good, but it's also just one more obvious step in getting everything you do into Thee Database, if one (or a conglomeration of one) exists.

The fact that the opportunity is there at all is what's disturbing to most, I'm sure. Those who want connection will see past the obvious opportunity for evil doing...those who see the evil in it won't buy it.

Facial Recognition(?)...well that's all but completely out in the open, and it will most certainly be VERY good for business and profit interest to know everything they can about every consumer out there (among other more clandestine things), and I'm sure Bill's only doing his small part. Get used to the fact that your face is recognizable and that all semblance of anonymity is lost...as the only thing that can be done to stop it, the people are simply too cowardly, willfully ignorant or completely oblivious to do. Are you kidding - they don't even care about the truth enough to search for it themselves.

It is the age we're moving into without a doubt. Accept it.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Yo Heineken thanks for posting that video. That looks INSANE! I think we are still a pretty good ways off yet from the movement recognition software that is being talked about in that video. Are you at all familiar with a piece of hardware/software called "Track IR"? It seems to be very similar but the NATAL looks to be WAY WAY more advanced.

If you do not understand modern gaming then you are stagnant and are completely out of touch with an entire technology.

Not understanding modern gaming is the equivalent to picking up a newspaper in 1930's and saying that the idiot box television is a gimmick and will never be used for anything worthwhile.

Do NOT I repeat DO NOT write off modern gaming as nothing but a "FAD" or something that "children" use because they have no friends and isolate themselves inside.

If this is the opinion that you have of it you are very out of touch and need to do some research and attempt to understand how important this "fad" is to the future of humanity.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
And we can all see that people are clearly in much better physical and mental shape since the invention/acceptance/abuse of the television... right? Ok maybe not.

Nobody said it was a fad, but that it's something that is being abused, and will continue to be abused. My point was that it's getting to the point where it can all but replace real life altogether.

Your argument is like saying text messaging has been good for basic interaction or communication/social skills just because we've been able to develop the technology.

[edit on 10-6-2009 by alaskan]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I can't believe you ATS'rs actually believe anything that guy in the video is saying. It's 100% B.S.

Once you realize the truth, that the entire "conversation" was actually pre-scripted interplay you'll realize how unimpressive the demo actually is. The girl is an actress reading a script too.

The Milo character's actions/words/emotions are all scripted and the only interaction going on is that the computer is waiting for the actress to say keywords so that the Milo character can then proceed to the next pre-programmed acting sequence.

Further more, the guy in the video is an idiot and 100% WRONG concerning his claim that "science-fiction hasn't even imagined this...". Even the 2002 movie with Al Pacino called "Simone" covered this concept. Going even further back to the 1980's was the TV show "Max Headroom" with a "cyber" person living inside a computer. Let's not even get into the dozens and dozens of cyberpunk/sci-fi books that cover this idea.

Hopefully that should underscore how full of crap the guy in this video is. Wake up and realize he's just trying to make you think Microsoft is way ahead when really they are doing the same-old-same as everyone else.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

I pretty much already stated that a few posts above yours.

It was ignored because people don't want to hear a rationale explanation.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan
And we can all see that people are clearly in much better physical and mental shape since the invention/acceptance/abuse of the television... right? Ok maybe not.

Nobody said it was a fad, but that it's something that is being abused, and will continue to be abused. My point was that it's getting to the point where it can all but replace real life altogether.

Your argument is like saying text messaging has been good for basic interaction or communication/social skills just because we've been able to develop the technology.

[edit on 10-6-2009 by alaskan]

Sorry my friend without the invention of the television set this conversation that we are having through written language would never have existed. There would be no computer monitor. And without a computer monitor, no computer. No computer = No ATS.

It would be Above Top Secret - The telephone party line edition.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This is me slapping my forehead.

And anyone who didn't think the girl was acting should probably be put to pasture anyways.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I think Microsoft is exaggerating a bit, they've done it before with games.

Still I think this looks awesome. While some video game advances worry me others are impressively leading to an age where crippled people or people who a are paralyzed will be able to interact with the virtual world in ways they could never react with the real world. Just think about all the things they'll be able to participate in? Brings a smile to my face.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
OP, stop taking the paranoia pills... this thing rocks...

and

to heck with Milo...

When Can I get Milano... aka Alyssa Milano ...

this thing is great... can I pre order,

LOL if they scan me in my home i'll hit it with a hammer calm down man.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
lol u guys are trying to find bad things in everything ... that is just sick, get help

this project is amazing and I hope they make it right ... lets hope for many cool games ...

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
i think the problem is the fact that if computer programers are using it to recognize everything you see and do, what the military will do when they get there hands on it, im sure this could lead to disastorous results in the future, i mean face scanners in every airport, voice security at every door they could eventually control everything you do and the world would be like a giant jail controlling everything you do when you leave when you go, what you can say, i mean this could be the beginning of the end of your freedom

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
First, it's Peter Molyneux giving the speech about Milo. For those of you not in the know, Peter is the king of promising his new game is going to be the most revolutionary thing on the planet then delivering a generic sub-par game. Google "Peter Molyneux Fable claims" and see what I mean.

As for Natal itself, it looks interesting. However, judging from the public displays at the talk shows, it's obvious the tech is still very rough. If they can refine it though, the 360 has the processing power the Wii lacks to actually make motion control interesting.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by RenDMC
I'm 22 and I can't WAIT to play with Milo, man theres so much stuff I'm gonna do to that little b&£$%£$ it's gonna be pwnage. I'm going to pour Pepsi into a Coke bottle, give it to him an he'll be like "OH Coke... THANKS!!" An I'll be all like "Taste it Milo" An he will and he'll go " Hmmmm lovely!!" an then I'll be like "BURRRRRRN!!!!! IT'S PEPSI!!! When's Billy Boy gonna make taste buds for you Milo!?"

jesus christ, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. TRICKING MILO? wow lol I was just excited to have a live-in boyfriend I don't have to share a bathroom with..but now I have a friend who can't get mad when I pull pranks? It's love.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Let me know when they come out with a version of this game except it's wow (world of warcraft) or something similar to it. I'll sign up for that just like millions of other dorks worldwide. As others have mentioned in their reply, I see games likes this preventing our youth from knowing how to fraternize with other humans while we still exist. Technology such as this brings us one step closer to the singularity and I still have mixed feelings on that topic.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
holy crap, this is freakin' AWESOME!!! I for one will be investing in this and the fighting game that they showed at the beginning.....now THAT looks like a good time! Can't wait to legally kick the crap out of all the uberl337 13 year olds that usually own me at COD:WaW, lol.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join