It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama move would eliminate 8 of 10 pocketknives

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
BTW, i made another thread about a new gadget which the police will be able to use to see through clothes and see if you are carrying a knife or some other similar object.

The lightweight handheld unit uses high frequency microwaves to see through clothes and pick up "reflections" of concealed guns or knives from a distance of several metres.

Intelligent software then interprets the images and only alerts officers to potential weapons - clearly distinguishing between everyday objects like keys and mobile phones.

It is hoped the scanner will reduce the number of attacks on officers who will no longer need to perform a risky stop and search to detect weapons.

Officers will also be able to remain at a safe distance and call for back-up before confronting armed criminals.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

While it is true this could help officers, i cannot help but think that it will also be abused, and Americans will be required to walk out of their houses, or apartments without any sort of knife, or weapon because this could make "some" police officers a bit trigger happy.

Imagine if this "intelligent software" malinterprets some object you have on you.

[edited for errors, and to add comments]

[edit on 11-6-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
BTW, now that i think about it, this would also make utility knives illegal.

Utility knives also use a similar mechanism which allows you to use one hand only to unsheath the blade.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
This guy must go and get himself a peach.

I can not believe this BS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

What will be next ?......

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
This is what America asked for by electing a Progressive Liberal into the White House. The Progs. have the answers for everything. I am a small time knife collector and this is just ridiculous. I rarely leave the house without a knife of some sort. I certainly use it more for practical reasons rather than defensive reasons.

Time to lock up the nail clippers folks. I think we should all just revert to carrying baseball bats and open carry sidearms. No secrets, no mysteries, and best of all no threats.

Just another notch in Barry's belt as he paves the way to his own self described utopia.

[edit on 11-6-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by tim1989

You should get one of those pocket knives in that picture while you can. It may not look like much, but as a collecter of pocket knives I have to say that style and brand is my favorite.

Get two or three quick.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
reply to post by tim1989

You should get one of those pocket knives in that picture while you can. It may not look like much, but as a collecter of pocket knives I have to say that style and brand is my favorite.

Get two or three quick.

Great Advice! This is my favorite type of knife also. It is an extremely useful tool, even in an office environment. One-hand operation is key when you are working alone!

I have two of these, and I will be buying more very soon.

Sidenote: A $20 version of a this knife saved me from a bad road rash or worse last fall. I layed down a motorcycle, and I slide about 50 ft on my Kalashnikov knive in my pocket, my boot and one forearm. My pants were shredded all around the knife, but my skin was untouched. Luckily it did not open in the process. I still carry the knife and it works perfectly, albeit with some big gashes on the outside!

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I have a Kershaw Leek. Best pocket knife ever. It's with me 24/7. I use it for EVERYTHING.
Here's an idea. Rather than all of us complain how much this sucks, let's get going and try to do something about it....

www.youtube.com...

The Complete Revocation on Knives from US Customs is here:
www.kniferights.org...

Information can be found about this subject from the two organizations fighting for this at:

akti.org...
www.kniferights.org...

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Another collector/daily user here. Jeez, guess I better get the folders I've been wanting but was too cheap to buy.

First guns/ammo, now this. They're all getting to be very expensive hobbies, guess it's time to start making them

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

Wow, thanks a lot, i didn't know they were trying to pass this into law so quickly, but I should have known better as this is how dictatorial systems are implemented, very quickly implementing laws that forever change a country, and eradicate the freedoms Americans have enjoyed so much.

Star for you for giving that link. I am going to sign and see if maybe enough of us can stop this before it is passed into law.

[edit on 12-6-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by tim1989

That is the type of knife i used for 30 years as a electrician.

It has the two requirement i needed being able to open one handed while holding wires in the other hand and locking open so that it would not accidentally fold on your fingers when pealing insulation off heavy wires like 250 or 500 mcm cable.

Most crews on ships carry the same type knives for the same reasons when working with ropes or mooring lines. (I carried that type when i was in the navy)

Most firefighter/EMTs carry that type too.

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
BTW, i just found out the following.

Graduating midshipmen of the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis are being told in writing to leave at home or in their vehicles all "ceremonial swords" and anything else "that might be considered a weapon or a threat by screeners" for Friday's outdoor commencement ceremonies featuring an address by President Barack Obama.

Inside the Beltway has obtained the academy's list of prohibited items for this years graduation exercises, which, besides ceremonial swords, includes umbrellas.

Yes, cell phones and texting are still allowed.

washingtontimes.com...

This is a taste of what we can expect from President Obama and his administration...

This is the first President of the United States to order graduating midshipmen of the U.S. Naval Academy not to bring their CEREMONIAL swords, as well as umbrellas... So now even UMBRELLAS are seen by President Obama and his administration as WEAPONS......

Watch out, soon we won't be able to go out with UMBRELLAS.....

[edit on 15-6-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join