It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Pigs' cited as serious terror threat Concern mounts over nationwide pipeline vulnerability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

'Pigs' cited as serious terror threat Concern mounts over nationwide pipeline vulnerability

worldnetdaily.com

In fact, there are U.S. security experts who believe terrorists would be capable of using pigs to infiltrate the pipeline networks in the United States and create havoc and destruction.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nationalterroralert.com

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This is something that was identified right after 9-11-2001, yet very little has been done to protect our infrastructure!!!

The incredible potential for terrorists should not be ignored, yet the mainstream media has been ignoring this for years.

"Even Iraqi citizens were aware of the pig system," he said. "Chemical, biological and/or nuclear weapons can be stored in the pig and moved remotely through the thousands of miles of sewage, oil and water pipes throughout Iraq," he added. "There is a reason the water and sewage pipes (infrastructure) were bombed … to hopefully destroy WMD that was hidden inside the pipes."

worldnetdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
So when I see the dirty pigs stuffing face at Dunkin Donuts, I should now be considering the fact that they may be bulking up with intent to house WMDs inside of themselves?

(Joking, for the record)

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
owe my, first it is deadly chiwawa, that was tasered then shot three times, now it is pigs! wow whats next, obama the new god?

forgot that has already happened.

crazy times we live in, think the powers to be need to get off there meds and get back to reality!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by tatersalad

try reading the article - if you had done - you might have made a valid response

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by habu71

ok - IMHO this is pure scare mongering - attempting to turn a very contrived hypothetical into a " real " threat

first - each pipleline only has a hand full of ` pig loaders ` - that can actually be used without removing a joint - and voiding the section

contrary to the opinion of mr farrar and his ` experts ` - you cannot simply load a pig into a pipe without its control room operators noticing - and you certainly cannot send it through without seriously reducing flow rate

also - pigs and valves do not mix - an obvious statement - but EVERY valve has to be double checked - BEFORE a pig is unleashed - as a fractional misalignment or a guilotine thats not fully raised - will have zero affect on fluid flows - but it will lead to a damaged pig and valve . oh and the pig can get stuck

it SOUNDS like a very clever plot - but in reality - obtaining a pig , loading it into the pipe , awaiting its SLOW progress , hoping its not detected etc etc - is one complication after another that invites murphys law

if you have a WDM got it into the CONUS - and are sitting out in the wilderness at a pipeline terminus - why not just use the truck that got it there to drive into the city - steered by a suicide bomber or dupe ? ????

if you only have explosices - simply hit the valve block you intended to load the pig at - or simpy find the deepest inspection hatch shaft and blow the pipe there

that last strategy is , incidently how british special forces attacked underground comunications trunks in iraq druring GW1 - pick the deepest manhole and drop dems chargews down it

the logic being - to repair the cables - the iraquis would have to dig down - the deeper the attacked point - the longer this would take them

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
So what now?

Homald security run ot of things to blame/brand as terrorists. This is just sad. There going to send Porky Pig to Gitmo now. Seriously, how much money are you americans pumping in to that crap-shack?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Excellent post! sounds like you know exactly what you are talking about!! Actually, when I read the article, it sounded like something DHS might have come up with....

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I agree. Looking at oil and gas pipelines

1) Most pig launchers are on well sites and lead to processing plants, usually these lines are under 8" so the amount of matter that could be shipped is minimal.

2) Large transmission lines are bigger (some 60+ inches) but generally they launcher is at one station and the reciever is at the next, so you'd have to be inside the fenched yard. I doubt the operator would fail to notice someone using a pig sender oin his yard.

3) Pigs cause a significant amount of back pressure, alarms sound when this happens.

For the people thinging they are funny a pig is a mechanical device used to clean or inspect a pipeline.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Also large transmission lines tend to run at high pressures (gas anyway) and it would not be possible without major equipment to lauch a pig just like that.
Agree though, any sudden pressure spikes up or down are noticed by computers and would be investigated.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

"There is a reason the water and sewage pipes (infrastructure) were bombed … to hopefully destroy WMD that was hidden inside the pipes."

Same Source

Erm, what WMDs? I'm pretty sure none were ever found, and the whole thing was just a massive pretext. So they destroyed Iraq's infrastructure, to bring it to its knees, without any genuine proof of any WMD at all. Nice.

Good fearmongering there.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by cropmuncher
reply to post by exile1981

Also large transmission lines tend to run at high pressures (gas anyway) and it would not be possible without major equipment to lauch a pig just like that.
Agree though, any sudden pressure spikes up or down are noticed by computers and would be investigated.

Actually the launchers are permanently tied into the pipeline, you would need to isolate the launcher. Depressurize it, open the QOC, load the pig, close the QOC, pressurize the launcher, open the outlet valve, open the launch valve and close the bypass. Of course you should have the reciever prepped at the next end.

If you where moving it long distances then you would need to take it out of the reciever at the next station and then drive it a few hundred yards to the next launcher and start over again.

I know that prepping for a pigging in a 6" line takes about 20-30 minutes at each end. I've never been part of a 60" launching so I can't comment about how long to prep the launcher but I suspect a lot longer.

You are correct tranmission lines run at 720 PSI, 1000 PSI, 1350 PSI, 1400 PSI or 1970 PSI. It depends on the owner and a bunch of other details. That's why it is so hard to move interconnect different line with out a lot of equipment (too many different line pressures)

new topics

top topics

join