It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the U.S. Be Drawn into a New Korean War?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Could the U.S. Be Drawn into a New Korean War?

news.yahoo.com

To fear a new Korean War is historically inaccurate, because, in fact, the last one never ended: the world's most dangerous border, across which some 2 million North Korean, U.S. and South Korean troops face each other along the 38th parallel of the Korean Peninsula is, in fact, simply an armistice line. On July 27, 1953, the U.S. and North Korea signed a truce pausing, but not ending, a war that claimed more than 2 million lives, including those of 36,940 U.S. troops.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
WORLD: Korea Showdown - Latest News and Updates.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
You know it's bad when a major news source actually asks the question: "Are we going to war?"

The article goes on to say:

U.S. officials are concerned that political instability inside the Pyongyang regime may raise the danger of confrontation. "Dear Leader" Kim Jong Il has been weakened by a stroke suffered late last year, his 26-year old heir apparent is not yet ready to take the reins and the North Korean military is eager to maintain its preeminence in the coming political succession. "Any time you have a combination of this behavior of doing provocative things in order to excite a response - plus succession questions - you have a potentially dangerous mixture," said U.S. Director of National Intelligence Dennis Blair on Monday.

Political instability you say? That cant be good at all. Just another can of gas to throw on this nuclear fire.

If it came to war, however, a key goal of any large North Korean attack would be to launch as many shells and rockets toward Seoul from its artillery tubes and launchers, many self-propelled or on railcars. The goal of U.S. and South Korean forces would be to destroy that artillery capability before too many rounds could be launched. While North Korea would build any attack around its 1.2 million–strong army, the U.S. and South Korea would rely more on their air and naval forces.

Anyone in Seoul here on ATS? I'd like to hear your words.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
There will NOT be another ground operation in Korea anytime soon, I dont see this happening!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I doubt it

who would finance this debacle?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
It needs a multi national force with China or Russia at it's head, otherwise there could far worse implications!

in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I highly doubt it too. With all the money we put into the war in iraq, this would not make sense to go into yet another war. And I would be highly P.O'd if we did.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
I doubt it

who would finance this debacle?

Well you do have to speculate to accumulate - is there anything good in NK worth having?

It's position it's self is pretty good, sea views (read sea ports) between China and SK, Japan would probably like something a little more stable there, a million bulls and 20 million ming vases would be a bit more stableish by the looks of things.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I laughed to myself as I read the title and thought, "It never ended"
lo and behold the first line from the snippet was just that!

We have still have wars going on from eons ago.

The war on Iraq happened in a blink of an eye with what has amounted to mere speculation.

So, I have no-doubt that WAR will continue with N.Korea.

However I don't believe anyone has ever WON a war.
If there has been a WIN, from a war, just what Is the prize?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Short answer: YES, we will end up in a "hot" war with N Korea again.

Why? Because TBTB need us to focus on foriegn matters while they continue to gut us from the inside.

Its all smoke and mirrors folks. We will be at war with one person or another until the entire world rises up and gives us the ultimate smackdown.

We have been in one continued war after another since late 1941. The US is a nation of Warmongers and one day the world WILL have enough.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I thought the war in Korea never ended????

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
If you want to see thousands of North Koreans swarming across the border just tie a cheeseburger in a tree on the SK side.

North Korea is like a child, they will push you as far as they need to in order to get the attention they seek, up to and including cross border shelling.

I don't see the Chinese allowing their lap dog to go further than that.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
North Korea is probably threatening to covertly sell nuclear weapons-materials to the highest possible international bidder.

This explains why the U.S-Korea seek to search North Korean boats, and why North Korea returns diplomatic fire by "ending" the Korea War truce.

North Korea is now very short of cash (since communism doesn't work). But they dare not dismantle communism (for fear of the social unrest this would cause the dictatorship).
Therefore it looks like they will be letting more of their people starve again soon.

Between 1995-1997 2 million died because NK’s government would not allow the people of South Korea to give enough for food anyone (but a few civilians and government officials!!!).

I don't see the Chinese allowing their lap dog to go further than that.

Although by cutting of trade with North Korea China could destroy it, it would be at much perceived personal risk to themselves!.

Therefopre North Korea as China's lap dog is no longer a good anology.

North Korea's recent nuclear tests haven't exactly helped China.
For a start it gives Japan a good political pretext to say to the Japanese people that "Japan should better arm itself (since world war two is a long time ago) and they need to "defend" themselves "against" North Korea."

That's why (to China) North Korea remains strongly-independently out of control.

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Well, that would be the last thing America (and the rest of the world) needs.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It's good to ask what if questions on this one...

What if North Korea took offense to an action by a foreign nation and proceeded to fire a nuclear missile?

Now that's a finite yes to war on that one. Hopefully they can shoot down that missile before it hits.

You have to understand that North Korea at this very moment is holding ALL the cards (AAQQK) while UN (2278J) and the US (2349Q) are left in the dust by their poker face...

If this we are to be drawn into a war, it will be North Korea making the first violent move.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys

If there has been a WIN, from a war, just what Is the prize?

The nation.

TRADITIONALLY in war, prior to World War 1, nations conquered nations for land and supplies and made them part of their nation either by enslaving, 'liberating', or exterminating the prior populace.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
God i hope so - and with china too -

FUSA....

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I reckon they are waiting to see what happens in the elections in Iran..

Like if Mr Canihavemedinnerdad gets it...and nothing is done about North Korea...Mr Canihavemedinnerdad can do what he want!!

North Korea really has very few friends and its doubtful they can cause a big upsetglobally! However, should Mr Canihavemedinnerdad get back in (and I have my suspicions he might)...he could destabilise things globally!!

Reckon TPTB are going to wait and see what happens before they make a big decision!!

Thats my opinoin !

new topics

top topics

join