It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Meltdown? what about 200,000 pounds per wk tax free?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
This is one subject that has sickened me for years and im sure it sickens many of you too.

Why is it that normal people are struggling with their day to day lives, hardly making ends meet with food and bills, yet sports people get paid extrordinary amounts of money??

why is no cap ever been put on sportspeople with wages?

Real Madrids latest football signing , Kaka, has just signed a 56 MILLIONpounds transfer fee and 200,000 pound per week in wages for the next 5 years!!!

thats 10.4MILLION POUNDS per year or 52MILLION POUNDS over 5yrs.

In addition to the massive fee Real will pay Milan, the La Liga giants will pick up his tax bill, taking advantage of Spanish laws on foreign nationals

Kaka added: 'I wanted to stay on at Milan, but the world (financial) crisis affected a lot of clubs, especially those like Milan which are businesses

what an absolute disgrace this is. why is there not more done to try and stop this??

27years old and he kicks a ball for a living FOR ONLY 90MINUTES PER WEEK!!!

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 10-6-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Unfortunately, it is market driven. These teams wouldn't be paying these salaries if they couldn't make money off of them.

I am sure you will see salaries dropping if the economy stays in the tank.

Some of the smaller leagues are struggling to keep the doors open, just look at Arena Football in the US. They had to suspend the season this year.

Another example is NASCAR, their ratings were soaring and the ticket prices went insanely high. Cheap seats were running $100/race. Now at most events the crowds are 1/2 empty and TV ratings have dropped by almost 15%.

If the fans continue to pay outrageous prices, and TV ratings stay high, so will the star athletes pay.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
It's just the way it is. The owners of these teams are making hundreds of millions off of their likeness. It wouldn't be fair to the player's if they got paid normal wages.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

I'm sorry, but this argument has no merit. As the above poster just mentioned it is a market driven price. A footballer is in a sense a traded commodity and the value is market determined.

In any case, the combined total of footballers wages (don't forget it's only the very top players in the world that command the fee's and salaries your OP quoted) would not make a dent on anything.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
the amount of $$ the sports star makes for their hard work is paltry in comparison to the amounts of $$ that their BOSS takes from the business

which is unfair, because the BOSS does absolutely nothing, he does not play ball

so I would rather see the sports stars get ALL of that money, because really they are only getting like 5% of the entire profit generated by professional sports

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by liketoknow

I'm sorry, but this argument has no merit. As the above poster just mentioned it is a market driven price. A footballer is in a sense a traded commodity and the value is market determined.

that is why i say "free our sports heros!"

they are treated like slaves, products to be bought and sold at the auction block

i say lets get rid of management and funnel the 95% of that $ back to the sports stars themselves (since they do all the hard work)

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I don't agree. The owners/management take the risk. They invested in the organization in the beginning. The money to pay the athletes wouldn't exist if the organizations do not exist in the first place.

Many teams pump a ton of money into the local economy as well. A successful sports team is good for the morale of the city.

That being said, the owners are going to have to go back to the roots of their sports to survive this recession.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Manchester Utd actually made millions of a loss last year, but yet they are still paying extrordinary salaries!!

it does not add up.

i am no financial expert, but the way i see it is that this crazy amount of money these players are getting could go to great use in helping people who really NEED it.

and if their bosses and owners are getting more then same to them tenfold.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

However, Red Football - the umbrella for United and its various offshoots - confirmed a loss of £44.8million, taking their overall debt to an eye-watering £649.4million

www.mirror.co.uk...

christiano ronaldo - man utd footballer - £122,400 per week £6,364,800 per annum. al while the club is in debt by 650 million pounds!!!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I totally understand your frustration at the high levels being paid, it is a bit of a joke when these guys are driving £200k cars and have houses worth millions but they do work extremely hard, they are amongst the best in the world at what they do, so that's 7 billion people, off which atleast half have the opportunity to do what footballers have done.

At the end of the day football is a BUSINESS which aims to make money! Madrid spent £59 million on Kaka, but can you imagine the increased revenue they will get from signing him? I bet they make the money back in the first two years, even if they don't win anything.

Is it true or not true that footballers get taxed? So from Ronaldo's £120,000 per week, say at least £35,000 a week off that is taxed, which goes in to the UK economy. So without Football Britain would be even worse off at the moment, football injects money in to the economy especially the areas around football grounds.

There are twenty teams in the Premier League and not many of them can afford to sign players for £20 million plus, so why should the bigger clubs be punished for buying better players, because the better the tools the better the the final result.

new topics

top topics

join