It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA To Consider Partnering With ESA For Mars Missions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   

NASA To Consider Partnering With ESA For Mars Missions

www.redorbit.com

Due to budget constraints, US space exploration agency NASA could be considering plans to team up with the European Space Agency by 2016 in a series of trips to the Red Plane
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nasawatch.com
www.nasa.gov

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NASA to begin layoffs as shuttle retirement nears

posted on Jun, 9 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5c6cc4cb2562.jpg[/atsimg]
I personally think this is a great idea. Space missions can be a huge finiancial burdon on a country, so why not split the bill? For me the whole national pride aspect of space exploration is not as important enough to sacrifice the possibility of better, more funded missions.

-E-

www.redorbit.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
As much as I love a good old fashioned all American endeavor, I think that an undertaking this pivotal in human history would benefit from a bit of international cooperation. Given that NASA is talking about something larger than any other human accomplishment in history rivaled only by the moon landings, I think it'd be a wise idea to get a partnership to help foot the bill and provide ideas that we might not have thought of on our own. I'm pretty sure we can live with the ESA on this one.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Great... all we need is for NASA to corrupt ESA! If NASA 'need' ESA then I can only imagine that NASA will be the minor partner? I don't recall reading that ESA need them!

Or will they simply try to take over ESA? I'm not down with this at all. The last thing we need is a monopoly on space exploration. A monopoly that NASA has enjoyed for many years. However now that the tide seems to be changing out of their favor, I see this as a play to maintain status quo before they descend into complete non relevance.

Let's face it, since the moon landings NASA has lost the plot. Though they have done some good things along the way, they've been little more than a satellite launching and ISS transport company.

IRM

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
E.S.A. has always said that N.A.S.A. places restriction to service and equipment purchased or rented. This has always been a problem and for the multinational scientists who work at E.S.A. share the exact view. If they ever were to merge, it would create the biggest civilian/military project second to none.

We are surely in for a wild ride when we one day switch on our television at the old age of 80 and view casual missions which today seem as theoretic.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
There is a lot of evidence of a past civilization on Mars. That will be an epic discovery.

But I bet NASA will not send their astronauts to Cydonia.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Shouldn't the headline read; NASA to consider suppressing the real Mars information by taking over the ESA mission?

NASA - blah!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Now all they need is JAXA on board and that'll be one hell of a cooperation! Each agency has it's own niches and expertise and could benefit hugely from working together instead of competing.

top topics

join